Mecum car Auction

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Mecum car Auction

#1 Post by David Jones »

Is it me or is it them? I cannot understand 90% of what the auctioneer is saying and it appears he is just spouting words like verbal diarrhea just to keep things rolling. I also have a hard time understanding why people buy some of the crap that comes up for auction but maybe it is me and I don't appreciate the beauty of a pick up truck or a 5 thousand pound coupe. Also did not see any 356's but there was a very expensive 912.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Steve veytia
356 Fan

Re: Mecum car Auction

#2 Post by Steve veytia »

Great post. Can't agree more...

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

Years ago when my brother and I used to go to wrecked car auctions, one of the ways we paid for college, my brother had dyed his hair apple green. So in the middle of the auction the go is going, "ahhh-dahhh, lemme-hear, do I hear" and all that stuff they ramble and he looks at my brother and says, "Green hair, green hair, green hair" and then keeps rambling, it was really funny.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Ditto, David. That's why we like Gooding, RM, Bonhams, and anybody who treats their buyers as if they have a brain.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

Thanks Adam, I was beginning to think it was me but apparently they really do just rhubarb, rhubarb as we brits say.
(chiefly Britain, film) Background noise of several "conversations," none of which is decipherable since all the actors are actually just repeating the word rhubarb, or other words with similar attributes.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

David Lawrence
356 Fan

#6 Post by David Lawrence »

I agree with David and Vic. I consider Mecum a bunch of bottom-feeders.
David Lawrence #1087
'64 C Cabriolet (Signal Red/Black Leather)

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dan Kalinski »

David Lawrence wrote:I agree with David and Vic. I consider Mecum a bunch of bottom-feeders.
Don't forget, there is an "open bar" for the registered bidders, the same goes for BJ.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ron LaDow »

David Jones wrote:Thanks Adam, I was beginning to think it was me but apparently they really do just rhubarb, rhubarb as we brits say.
Standard in the English-speaking world; film extras are instructed to repeat "rhubarb" as it comes across as random speech.
I was told (where? who knows?) that's where the term came from to describe baseball players barking at each other with no real effect; a "rhubarb".
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#9 Post by Richard Shilling »

After warning others that if you watch daytime TV when you're retired you die within 6 months, guess what? OK, I usually record daytime shows and watch later but they're car shows, so it's OK. My favorites are on the Velocity Channel: What's My Car Worth, and Chasing Classic Cars. Both shows involve auctions and while I have never attended a car auction I've learned a lot. The audience is the prime factor. With the "right" audience, two or three guys bidding against each other becomes a battle of egos that has very little to do with the cars and can result in spectacular prices. With the "wrong" audience someone can actually get a bargain, but you have to know the market. When the car comes up for bid is also important, evidently between 7:00 and 8:00 people leave to go to dinner, leaving fewer bidders in the room.
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#10 Post by Brian R Adams »

Worst part of watching TV auctions: The PA system is so loud the auctioneer's bombastic gibberish renders the TV commentators' remarks unintelligible. My damaged hearing doesn't help.

Brian
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#11 Post by Tom Coughlin »

The biggest question I've had is "Why am I watching this crap?"

I don't any more. TLC
 KTF, member #15

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

If I watch car auctions where the guys in ill-fitting shirts work the crowd and sound like they are selling livestock, I hit the mute button on the remote and watch the alcohol-fueled egos go at it.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Haig Haleblian
356 Fan

#13 Post by Haig Haleblian »

Say what you will, but you outta see the shack Mr Mecum is building on Lake Geneva Wi. Lot line to lot line on the priciest address in cheeseland. Stainless steel swimin hole over a twenty car garage. Bowlin alley in the basement. As us poh folks would say, he's dun real gud. The build is into it's 3rd year.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Mike Wilson »

Gud fer him!

Not knocking the people involved, just the manner in which our revered cars are auctioned.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

ray nelson
356 Fan

#15 Post by ray nelson »

Yep the auction business is a cash cow no doubt. I'll bet Mecum made more selling one Ferrari in 5 minutes than the pitiful architect (if he even used one) did designing his palace.
With add on fees approaching 20% or more and you don't even own the product, it is a great business to be in. Even if the car doesn't sell on reserve I think they get an up front fee.
Like the old country song sez; Momma don't let your boys grow up to be Architects, or something like that.

Ray