Ethanol protest, in our interest please read.

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Ethanol protest, in our interest please read.

#1 Post by David Jones »

Take a moment folks and fill in the protest to our government. Whether you are for or against either party this should transcend politics if we want to help maintain the 356 and other cars and the environment. Gasoline emissions do not benefit the environment but gasoline plus ethanol is worse. Remember that you can go as far on 10 gallons of straight gas as you can on 10 gallons of gas with 1 gallon of ethanol and it is cheaper! It actually costs about twice as much to produce a gallon of ethanol as it does a gallon of gasoline. Price of ethanol added at the tanker terminal is about $1.61 but that is after the government applies the tax credit that we pay for. In effect we are paying for the ethanol at least twice and because it adds nothing to the gas mpg it is actually much more.

http://smarterfuelfuture.org/?utm_campa ... tm_medium=
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Kevin Estes
356 Fan

Re: Ethanol protest, in our interest please read.

#2 Post by Kevin Estes »

Nobody likes Ethanol except a few of the growers that get big cash from the feds.
Happily signed. Thanks for sharing the opportunity.
Kevin
C Coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Signed.
David, you left out the added advantage of pushing up food prices.
Absolutely no advantages and we don't have to suffer the stigma of low prices, either!
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

But isn't it a good idea if it is economically viable (with government subsidies)? Just kidding, I am signing it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

Signed!
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

C J Murray
356 Fan

#6 Post by C J Murray »

I almost signed it but then I read further and realized that I would be agreeing with Al Gore. I'm not sure I can do that!

Signing the protest is fine but how about doing something more important? Vote for smaller government. Vote in the primary elections and vote for the challenger if you are convinced that they are more likely to follow the path of smaller less intrusive government. Otherwise you will be signing lots more protests in the future. We only have ourselves to blame.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#7 Post by David Jones »

CJ I would sign it even if it meant agreeing with Dick Cheney and the village idiot from Texas and look at what they did for us. All Al did was make money off a not entirely accurate documentary. Leaving politics out of it as I said if enough people complain we can make a difference. My 356 deserves better than having to lug around an extra 5 litres of crap in each tankful.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

C J Murray
356 Fan

#8 Post by C J Murray »

David, you've just identified two more big government politicians. The more government does the more problems they cause.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

One of the greatest ways you can express your distaste for ethanol is buy voting with your wallet. Support anyone in your area that carries real gas, and tell your friends. Stewart's is a chain here in the NE that now has ethanol free gas, I put it in all my classics as well as all my small engine stuff. In America the only way to really change things is with $$$. One of the single most effective moments of the Civil Rights movement of the 60's wasn't MLK's I Have a Dream speech, it was the Montgomery Bus Boycott. Hit em in the wallet, and you have their ear.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ron LaDow »

Adam Wright wrote:Hit em in the wallet, and you have their ear.
I could not agree more. But I live in CA.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#11 Post by Edwin Ek »

I signed. But who is behind the smarter fuel group? The altruistic oil companies?

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#12 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Autoweek.com had an article (I think in July 2015) about how ethanol is in retreat. A lot of pressure has been put on government through channels to effect this change, and the Autoweek article's map of the country graphically revealed how many states have totally banned the use of ethanol, how many states make it an optional additive, and how few require it. You would be surprised to learn that very few actually do at this time. California unfortunately has a perpetual air quality issue, so this state may be a lost cause. In North Carolina, we have had Pure and a few independents here and there, and recently, Exxon started distributing. I see a positive trend...

The classic and antique car clubs have been behind this protest movement, and the SEMA Action Network (www.semasan.com), which puts out news on this, is a place to get contact information on your congressional reps. They have circulated a couple of petitions too, but I prefer a personal email and always get a response. I encourage all to contact your elected officials and put pressure on them.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#13 Post by Mike Wilson »

Yep, we in California are bound by "higher standards". The up side is better air quality. The down side is higher prices and taxes. I hope the ethanol is eliminated. It's a PITA to deal with....
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Bob Watts
356 Fan

#14 Post by Bob Watts »

Search:
ethanol-free gasoline

Here is one example:

http://www.historicvehicle.org/Resource ... re-Gas-Map
Bob Watts

C J Murray
356 Fan

#15 Post by C J Murray »

Mike Wilson wrote:Yep, we in California are bound by "higher standards". The up side is better air quality.
I gather that ethanol is not better for the air based on what David writes. Just the manufacturing and distribution never made sense then consider what it has done to food prices. I thought politicians want to feed the starving children? Gee, I wonder why they shoved ethanol down our throats?
Last edited by C J Murray on Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion