intermechanica

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Lynn Taylor
356 Fan

intermechanica

#1 Post by Lynn Taylor »

Any thoughts? I just want a Conv. D for my daily driver. I owned one for 1200 bux over 25 yrs ago. I coulda bought it from my former for about double that. I know, but when u are 40 u still do dumb things like giving up a D. Now retired, I can;t afford the real thing. This co. says rack and pinion steering, disc brakes, headrests. Uh, not a Conv. D. There is no nicer looking car than a D, or practical, if u don;t want to spend $$$ on power everything that u hate {ME] but still want a convertible. I am torn between buying another mini or VW, or miata, or just giving up on conv. and driving my Tercel or sunroof C.

Anyone have one of these "fakes"? Are they reliable? Is there any service? DO THEY HANDLE LIKE A 356????

thanks, Lynn

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

Re: intermechanica

#2 Post by Emil Wojcik »

You're going to get mixed responses about any replicas here. Most Porsche people I know will call them fakes (or worse), not replicas, so you've now been forewarned.

Also, since you're asking about a replica, I'm sure this thread will sooner or later be moved to off-topic.

The only comment I can make about any of your questions is, no, they do not handle anything like a real 356 due mainly to the one piece construction. Those fiberglass bodies on VW pans flex a hell of a lot. Once you drive the real deal, you will have a hard time accepting a fake. Personally, I like your idea of going for a real 356 coupe instead (but the sunroofs are getting very pricey), but it's your life and you should follow your own dream.

Best of luck, whichever way to choose to proceed.

EDIT: I just realized you're saying you already have a sunroof coupe (lucky guy). So you already know the feeling of driving the real thing. You will not be impressed with the replicas handling.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Regardless of anyone's opinion, the fact is that it is not a 356 and the thread should be moved to where matters other than 356s are discussed.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#4 Post by Tom Coughlin »

Ron: I agree-and if you do get one put in a 356/912 engine at least! TLC
 KTF, member #15

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#5 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Emil Wojcik wrote:You're going to get mixed responses about any replicas here. Most Porsche people I know will call them fakes (or worse), not replicas, so you've now been forewarned.

Also, since you're asking about a replica, I'm sure this thread will sooner or later be moved to off-topic.

The only comment I can make about any of your questions is, no, they do not handle anything like a real 356 due mainly to the one piece construction. Those fiberglass bodies on VW pans flex a hell of a lot. Once you drive the real deal, you will have a hard time accepting a fake. Personally, I like your idea of going for a real 356 coupe instead (but the sunroofs are getting very pricey), but it's your life and you should follow your own dream.

Best of luck, whichever way to choose to proceed.

EDIT: I just realized you're saying you already have a sunroof coupe (lucky guy). So you already know the feeling of driving the real thing. You will not be impressed with the replicas handling.
Guys

Re-read the title of this thread.
It reads "Intermechanica".
All of the negative comments about performance and handling are bogus. A Intermechanica Speedster or Conv D will embarrass any 356 made in handling and straight line performance including braking. Just ask our own Dave Mitchell. They are not made on a VW pan but are resting on a dedicated tube chassis and can be had in any of a number of configurations including full 911 Carrera engine/trans/ front suspensions. They are now being made with water cooled motors from Subaru and 1.8/2.0 Turbo motors from Audi A4s, as well.. They can be had with A/C and just about any other option you can think of.

Regards

Jim
PS: I'd still rather drive my 356C Coupe instead.
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#6 Post by Larry Coreth »

Jim,

Maybe on the left coast they make them all with space frames and I see at the Intermeccanica website shows a custom frame available but all the replica Speedsters I have looked at over the years here on the right coast have had VW pans under them ! In fact that is how to readily recognize one by the VW center tunnel and shifter ! Unless of course if happen to have a magnet handy. :)

I have never driven one so I could not possibly comment on their driving qualities but having driven my (real and rust prone) Speedster for 40 years I'm sure I would be disappointed, esthetically at least.
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

There are lots of speedster body makers that build them for the VW pan which is probably not too impressive. Intermechanica I believe makes something much better than that.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#8 Post by Larry Coreth »

Martin,

No doubt. But I well remember back in the 80's when Intermeccanica first came out with the Speedster replica and several other bodies the primary selling point was the VW pan base due to its low cost and availability. This was when you could still get a nice Speedster (real) for under $50K.

Today with Speedsters at +$200K, a $75-80K Intermeccanica looks pretty affordable, especially with a custom frame and the associated performance upgrade.
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Curt Vesely
356 Fan

#9 Post by Curt Vesely »

Lynn,
Go here http://www.speedsterowners.com/ Great bunch of guys too...

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#10 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Larry Coreth wrote:Jim,

Maybe on the left coast they make them all with space frames and I see at the Intermeccanica website shows a custom frame available but all the replica Speedsters I have looked at over the years here on the right coast have had VW pans under them ! In fact that is how to readily recognize one by the VW center tunnel and shifter ! Unless of course if happen to have a magnet handy. :)

I have never driven one so I could not possibly comment on their driving qualities but having driven my (real and rust prone) Speedster for 40 years I'm sure I would be disappointed, esthetically at least.
Larry

The key word is "Intermechanica". These cars are very well engineered and offer awesome performance. There are plenty of "Speedsters" on this coast on VW pans, as well. Most are a piece of crap. The Intermechanica people, including the owner, Henry Reisner, are great people and make a very good product. I just didn't want people to compare apples and oranges. Whether you like replicas or not is another issue altogether.

Regards

Jim
Last edited by Jim Breazeale on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ron LaDow »

I know a guy with a Pacer. It sort of reminds you of a 356 if you look from the right direction, but it's faster. He's wondering if the SC or S90 badge is more appropriate.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#12 Post by Larry Coreth »

Jim,

I can appreciate your point, You know of course that even among 356 aficionados there those to whom everything is black or white, fantastic or crap, etc. We just have to indulge their petty passions.

8)
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#13 Post by Adam Wright »

I had a guy who had an Intermechannica Convertible D one time who wanted to trade it for a B Cab I had, this and his 993. I kept calling his car a "Kit car" and he was getting very mad, saying it was a factory built replica. So we agreed I would not call his car a kit during negotiations. I wasn't trying to be mean, it was just easier to say kit, I couldn't bring myself to call it a Convertible D.
He ended up not doing the trade, he instead bought a cut Notchback that needed a full restoration. I think he is about to be finished with the Notch/Cab and has about $75,000 in it.
I never drove the "factory built replica" so I can't say how it drove, I probably should of just so I would know.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Geordie Greenwood
356 Fan

#14 Post by Geordie Greenwood »

"Intermeccanica" has been around for many years. Henry Reisner is actually the 2nd generation to operate the company. Having toured their facility in the past, I can say they manufacture a very high quality product. To compare the current Intermeccanica Speedster and Convertible D to any of the VW pan based cars is like comparing apples and oranges. Here is a link to their website
http://intermeccanica.com/athird.net/about/history

Geordie
Geordie Greenwood
Surrey BC

David Ramatowski
356 Fan

#15 Post by David Ramatowski »

Lynn, ignore all of the asshats with their gratuitous insults and slights. Like Jim B. and George G. said, the replica you are talking about is orders of magnitude better than the VW based units. And when it comes right down to it, it is a superior car to an original 356 in nearly every way. If I had the the urge I would get me a water cooled Subaru powered version with a/c and heat that works! I could drive it in perfect comfort in any weather and not worry about rust or somebody smacking in to it. Rude comments about Pacers notwithstanding.