The 356 as a garden tool...

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Gary Koehler
356 Fan

#1 Post by Gary Koehler »

Besides being a great daily driver and all around fun car, there is another application that I occasionally use the C for. 1800 RPM for 10 minutes + a Shop Vac hose and you got you a dead gopher. Guaranteed.
Gary

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

Yeah, but Gary,

"1800 RPM
for 10 minutes + a Shop Vac hose and you got you a dead gopher.
Guaranteed.
Gary"

Who wants a dead gopher? Kinda like that worm you get if you get up early; yeech!
Thanks,
Ron LaDow

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Mark Selleck
356 Fan

356 as a garden tool

#3 Post by Mark Selleck »

Gary, this is exciting! This means the IRS should allow a tax deduction for upkeep of my 356 if I use it to rid the area around my business property of moles/voles. They let me write off any extermination costs for insect type varmints in the shop, so it seems to me this would be legitimate! I'm in the specialty glass business, and a few years ago I tapped into the melted wine-bottle cheese serving tray demand. The only time I can think of that I could legitimately write off liquor as a business tax deduction for "raw materials".(I had to dispose of the bottle contents somehow, in order to melt them down. :D ) I'm going to have to think of other ways to use my car for business. Maybe I'll have some magnetic signs made to stick on the doors while I'm driving it around! The possibilities may be endless! :shock:
Mark Selleck
Mineral Springs, NC

Thomas Canty
356 Fan

#4 Post by Thomas Canty »

deleted
Last edited by Thomas Canty on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michael Eker

#5 Post by Michael Eker »

No joking matter:

http://mondediplo.com/1998/01/11volkswag

politics aside the brilliant German engineers changed the world and in the case of Werner

Von Braun helped the US put a man on the moon.

http://www.luft46.com/rd/rdreams.html

meker

Gary Koehler
356 Fan

#6 Post by Gary Koehler »

Geez, I guess I offended sombody again, apoligies to thosewho were. Anybody who has come outside and viewed their lawn with a couple of dozen distributed piles of dirt, and plants literally disappearing from view may have some sympathy. But I'll add it to my list of politically incorrect things that can't be talked about.
Brilliant idea about the tax deduction, though. I'm going to talk to my CPA!!

PaulLear
356 Fan

Gophers

#7 Post by PaulLear »

Gary,

For what it's worth I laughed my ass off!
That's a great photo showing what I wish I had thought of to kill those nasty gophers.
Perhaps we can start a new thread -- "Alternate Uses for Your 356" :idea:

Paul

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#8 Post by Greg Scallon »

Gary,
I loved it too. I've actually done the exact same thing with a '74 VW bus. Didn't work though. Another reason I need to find the right 356.

Best regards,
-Greg

Re: The 356 as a garden tool...

#9 Post by Guest »

gary koehler wrote:Geez, I guess I offended sombody again, apoligies to thosewho were. Anybody who has come outside and viewed their lawn with a couple of dozen distributed piles of dirt, and plants literally disappearing from view may have some sympathy. But I'll add it to my list of politically incorrect things that can't be talked about.
Brilliant idea about the tax deduction, though. I'm going to talk to my CPA!!
My impression is that rather than your picture of alternate use, the "slight" topical deviation and the implied, yet preposterous equalitsation with "other events" may give offence. :?

just my 2cents ...

Nevertheless, howabout the 356 as a "Jagdwagen" :

Glenn Ring
356 Fan
Tag: On theSamba.com

#10 Post by Glenn Ring »

Thomas Canty wrote:Is all of this kind of in bad taste?

German made machinery—hoses—poisonous gas fumes—enclosed living space.

Long time ago, but . . . that picture is still kinda REAL.
It's meant as light humor and I didn't take it that way.

Let's not dwell on the dark past.
Glenn Ring

Restored Bosch Distributors

Thomas Canty
356 Fan

#11 Post by Thomas Canty »

Last edited by Thomas Canty on Tue May 04, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Glenn Ring
356 Fan
Tag: On theSamba.com

#12 Post by Glenn Ring »

Thomas and I exchanged PM's and worked out our comments. This is a very sensitive subject for many and sometimes you just need to step back and take a breath.

We're all human and our emotions and testosterone sometimes get the better of us, but in the end we're all adults and can work things out.

Let's move on.
Last edited by Glenn Ring on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Glenn Ring

Restored Bosch Distributors

Barry Wolk
356 Fan

#13 Post by Barry Wolk »

I'm all about animal's rights but I don't think this stepped over the edge. It's a lot kinder than the scumbag on the AACA web site that would live capture critters that ate his lawn. He'd leave them in the sun for several days and then feed them antifreeze. That level of cruelty is off the scale.

I don't know if the ASPCA did anything about him but I sure let the local authorities know about his antics. There's a fine line between animal torture and people torture, as if that's any different. Anyone remember Jeffrey Daumer?

Dann Smith
356 Fan

#14 Post by Dann Smith »

It's better than what they did tio the gopher in caddy shack.

Deborah King
356 Fan

#15 Post by Deborah King »

Gary, I don't have gophers, moles, or voles, but I sympathize with those who do--seems like a quite reasonable way to do the job. CO is odorless and tasteless, and a pretty efficient way to go. During the hurricane a number of people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning because they placed their generators inside or too near their homes.

Might be politically incorrect, but it's okay with me. And I'm a tree-hugger.

BTW, we had armadillos when we loved CLOSER to Houston (go figure). A .22 wasn't too effective. They're a PITA, too. Wish I had something like that for fire-ants besides Amdro. It's effective, but the ants are even more effective.
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Also, resident MINI Cooper lover :-)