Fuel Cells.

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

Fuel Cells.

#1 Post by Mike Ruddy »

I bought my A a few years ago now and at the time I knew more about Saturn 5 than I did about 356s. Every detail was new to me and there was a lot to take in but over the years I've become more familiar with the details.

One thing though that concerned me very early on was the realisation that I would be driving around in my beautiful car with 10 gallons of fuel in a tin box on my lap and it's always bugged me.

Fuel cells seem to be such a good idea but a search here on the Registry doesn't offer any indication that they're a popular modification. There is a cost element to be considered of course, these cells are not cheap but then neither are tyres, retrims and.... well anything to do with 356s these days.

My questions :- Do any members have a fuel cell fitted in their street car ? Is there a preferred brand and/or at the end of the day is the standard 356A fuel tank sufficiently protected by the chassis to pose no threat to life or limb in a collision ?

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Fuel Cells.

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Mike; if you have an accident that would affect the fuel tank, you'd be dead from the impact. Cremation would not be an issue.

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Mike I was thinking about this the other day when driving because I have lap belts in my car. As Vic, says if the impact is enough to damage the tank then I think the wooden steering wheel will take a large chunk out of my head?

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

#4 Post by Mike Ruddy »

Thanks chaps, that all makes me feel a whole lot safer. :shock:

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

The 356, unlike most cars of the era, has a really good "crush zone" up front. This absorbs much of the force of the impact. I'm sure others can post some photos of truly horrific crashes where the driver was not severely injured; except for splinters from the wood wheel. :P

C J Murray
356 Fan

#6 Post by C J Murray »

What, you didn't like the Pinto?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion