Farewell

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Bruce Baker
356 Fan

Farewell

#1 Post by Bruce Baker »

Having posted regularly in the past and not having posted for quite a while, I thought it appropriate to say goodbye to friends and those who used to be friends in the Registry. (You know who and which you are;-) I was greeted with this when I logged in for my last post:
"Your membership is expiring in 2 days, click here to renew."

No renewal this year, but I can re-something in the future (if 'approved') and if I do, I will not expect #154, but what's in a number? That was a second number assigned to me but I was well within the first 100 to join the Registry.

Over the many years, I contributed what I could as I could and I'm very proud of that. However, forty continuous years is just another number as well. Maybe too long, but at least I'm leaving on my own terms. Call it reaching my own 'term limit.'

I cannot be just another subscriber. Many thousands are happy with that non-car club participation and that's their prerogative but I am not a good spectator.

I'll end this with what Bob Campbell posted about me (including two others, then members) a few years ago......"Enough is enough." Yep, it is. Backatcha.

-Bruce Baker

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

Re: Farewell

#2 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Bruce,

Lots of frustration coming out in your post. I have been a member for 25 years and my experience has been 99.9% positive so I don't have a dog in the fight. I am sorry you will no longer be a member/subscriber or whatever positive or negative name gets thrown around to call us.

I have had nothing but great interaction with you so I can say I will miss you here, but I do have your phone number :-)

Here's to hoping that some day you will actually want to return; I look forward to that day.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Rosemary Sampson

#3 Post by Rosemary Sampson »

Bruce:

Purely by coincidence Bill is wearing your T Shirt today. Thanks for your decades of contributions and for being a friend to both of us.

MalibuRoam

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

Methinks there will be a void on this Talk List with your departure. Thank you for your contibutions and advice and, when and if you have a change of heart, future contributions.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ashley Page »

Bruce, the future without your posts here is a loss for forum users.

Thanks for all your help and good advice which is still available via search.

See you on the ABCGT site!

Charlie White
356 Fan

#6 Post by Charlie White »

Bruce,

Like you, I decided several weeks ago, that it is time to scale back
my participation on this list. Since I retired a few years ago, I got
into the habit of checking in 15-20 times a day! I saw the hard times
on this List over the last several years, and now that it's essentially over,
(they were so unnecessarily started by one misguided and disgruntled
member), like you, I've decided to limit my participation in this talk
list. I'll check in once a week or so, but my days of being addicted to
the internet are coming to a close. Bruce, I always enjoyed your posts,
and respect your opinions. And I fully understand your decision to fade
away. I'm not far behind you! Best to you!

Charlie White
Charlie White

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#7 Post by Greg Bryan »

Bruce - all the best.
Greg Bryan

Dick Douglass
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dick Douglass »

Bruce,

All the Best.

Like you I joined years ago and have made many friends along the way. I remember being in Monterey wearing a pin given to me by Chris saying "356 Talk" and signing up with something called an e-mail address. Gee I think it was "earthlink.net" .
Times have changed and certain members have the right to sling the slang and I wish the talk Forum had a button like Facebook where you could block their posts. When I see his two initials I choose not to read anything he posts.

Like so many we wonder what do we do with or 356's when we see that our families will be stuck with a 356 when there is a change in our life.

So, we sold our 356 C Cab to a private party and this closes a chapter in our Porsche life. We know of 8 356's which have sold lately to private parties and never were listed on web sites. If you want to sell your car contact a vendor on this Forum and they have buyers.
We also turned around and bought a New Porsche which my wife can enjoy and drive, and this starts a new chapter in our Porsche Life. I must say it is fun sitting in the right seat and holding on while a New Porsche engine kicks in and seeing the driver smile and feel what we have felt for years.

Thanks for the memories

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

#9 Post by Roy Smalley »

Yes there is a transition in progress no doubt as the old ones make inevitable changes; changes that are not easy but have to be made.

As I recall, one of Bruce's mantras has been "tune into the young crowd"; reach out and get them involved, a very wise bit of information and I wholehearted agree. Those in charge, the face of the Registry should practice that reach out when in the crowd rather than stick with the group you know, for like in any group one tends to stay with familiar. Ignoring those new faces will erode the good feelings about the Registry.

On another note, those that continue the litany about Heinrichs at every opportunity, enough has been said by both sides. Think "is what I am about to say, positive and worth while, or is it just venting...and what does it say about me"? I have no idea what went on because I look at facts, not here-say or partial information that becomes misinformation, and no good results. Regardless of personal feelings and the basis for criticism, Heinrichs has made substantial contributions to the Registry and to the world of 356's with major publications that has information very difficult if not impossible to find, and knowing a bit about business he certainly did not get rich with those efforts.
 Roy Smalley
Texas

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#10 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Breaking out after 40+ years is foreseeable, but forever, that's a really really loooooong time. We expect the roundtable of opinions and technical support will shuffle along without ya, always anticipating the return of the proverbial phoenixs of 356 lore.

To anyone else contemplating a departure, just take a break from the faithful for a spell and return when the notion suits you; we'll most likely still be here mixing it up or else scouring over the history of past post to resolve the difficulties shared in keeping these cherished relics puttering about the best that twisted roads have to offer the interstate challenged.

Just know Mr Baker, whenever you pass a 356 out there along the byways, that this list will always remain appreciative of the technical and moral support you provided the 356's faithful.

I never could figure out how someone so tall in stature could fall in love with something so down low and difficult to enter or depart with grace, until I once noticed how a butt first entry and butt last departure was just as easy as stepping onto or off of a horse, for the inseam challenged that is.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#11 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Roy Smalley wrote:Regardless of personal feelings and the basis for criticism, Heinrichs has made substantial contributions to the Registry and to the world of 356's...
Roy,

You and I always seem to agree on things but I do have a serious question and I am not looking for a fight or to open a can of worms. But, while I agree with the last part (yes, Steve has organized terrific gatherings and published informative books) that was all done independent of the Registry. I do not recall him hosting any Registry events, writing for the magazine or running for office. I don't believe he has contributed anything directly to the Registry save for his postings on the forum. If that is what you mean by contributions, then fine, but I would say the departing Bruce Baker was infinitely more valuable to the Registry as far as contributions go. I would not even say it is close.

Please correct me, anyone, if I am wrong. If I am I will happily apologize and retract my statements here if anyone can list his contributions to the Registry other than old forum posts.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Jon Lieber
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jon Lieber »

Bruce,

Long term 356 members provide indispensable insight and information for other Registry members. I hope that you find a path to return to the 356 Registry down the road. Best wishes and thank you!

Jon

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#13 Post by Joris Koning »

Sorry to see you go Bruce. Unlike others I never doubted your motives for trying to facilitate change in the registry.

Cheers,

j.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#14 Post by Adam Wright »

xxx
Last edited by Adam Wright on Sun May 31, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

#15 Post by Roy Smalley »

Sebastian Gaeta wrote:
Roy Smalley wrote:Regardless of personal feelings and the basis for criticism, Heinrichs has made substantial contributions to the Registry and to the world of 356's...
Roy,

You and I always seem to agree on things but I do have a serious question and I am not looking for a fight or to open a can of worms. But, while I agree with the last part (yes, Steve has organized terrific gatherings and published informative books) that was all done independent of the Registry. I do not recall him hosting any Registry events, writing for the magazine or running for office. I don't believe he has contributed anything directly to the Registry save for his postings on the forum. If that is what you mean by contributions, then fine, but I would say the departing Bruce Baker was infinitely more valuable to the Registry as far as contributions go. I would not even say it is close.

Please correct me, anyone, if I am wrong. If I am I will happily apologize and retract my statements here if anyone can list his contributions to the Registry other than old forum posts.
Seabstian, there is no correcting you, you are entitled to your opinion just like I am. But I don't measure a persons' worth by what he may or may not contribute to the "Registry" particularly by minimizing what has been done. The Registry is only one of many ways supporting what we are all about: and that is Porsche 356.
 Roy Smalley
Texas