Denise McCluggage RIP

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
ray nelson
356 Fan

Denise McCluggage RIP

#1 Post by ray nelson »

From the Golden Era of Sportscar Racing
http://flatsixes.com/porsche-culture/ri ... ccluggage/

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

Re: Denise McCluggage RIP

#2 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Thank you Ray. I was not familiar with this person until your posting. I've spent the past few hours researching her history and writing. What an amazing person with such depth and skill at image building that I suspect many more hours will be spent within her thoughts on the world she made alive for my pleasure. Thank you for bringing her to my attention. Surely her writing will be admired my many for decades to come, if not in fact until time finally ends.

ray nelson
356 Fan

#3 Post by ray nelson »

Thanks Glen
I saw her race at Sebring and I believe it was the early 60's but just can't remember the year. If I recall correctly she was driving a Porsche, but then again too far back for my overloaded brain to remember.
Those early years were amazing and I was lucky to have caught just a glimpse of that era when many of the great drivers crossed the pond to race here. Closest thing today may be to watch Vic and C.J. in the vintage events :D
Ray

Gordon Maltby
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Gordon Maltby »

Please see 356 Registry volume 34-3. You can log in and access a pdf of it under "magazines" here on the website.

From our club facebook page:
Racer and journalist Denise McCluggage has passed away at the age of 88. A woman who stood tall in a man's world, she did it all, knew everybody and wrote about it with style and intelligence. Our feature writer Phil Carney did a lengthy and fascinating interview with her in 356 Registry volume 34-3, September/October 2010. A personal highlight of my many years around Porsche people was having lunch and dinner with her in Santa Fe two years ago, a memorable event - and an unforgettable woman.

Gordon