LinkedIn

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

LinkedIn

#1 Post by Ron LaDow »

First, apologies to those getting LinkedIn 'requests' from me; I have not generated a single one.
I did, unfortunately, respond to a bogus 'request' by one of our members, which then seems to give LinkedIn the ability to phish my email 'phonebook' and generate the phony requests to all and sundry.
I am in the process of trying to get disentangled with them, but so far have been unsuccessful.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: LinkedIn

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I'm sure you remember we were alerted by Rosemary Sampson that our own Jim Liberty had his email hacked. All too common these days. Today it was your turn. Sorry to hear it.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

VinceFinaldi
356 Fan

#3 Post by VinceFinaldi »

I thought we confirmed Jim sent it on purpose? JUST KIDDING JIM! :) Too soon?

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

Ron, I got a request from you at ChristianMingle.com. What's that about?

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Ron -
Understand your Linkedin dilemma. Had a similar experience via a friend who gave me as a reference in his entry. Don't have much respect re. Linkedin's aggressiveness, and with the bloated curriculum vitaes of its job seekers.
- Wil

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bob Forman »

Amen, Wil.
Bob Forman

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#7 Post by Brian R Adams »

LinkedIn has been hacked at least once, several years ago, and millions of addresses stolen. This is not necessarily (and almost certainly not) LinkedIn themselves being nefarious, and I'm not sure there's an easy way for them to stop this right now. If Ron is not actually a member of LinkedIn, then LI will not be able to service Ron's complaint directly. If LI members' accounts are being used to send out millions of invitations, they should be able to eventually get a handle on that, but "it's complicated."

I happen to be a member, as are many Registry members I'm sure. If someone has a better explanation of what's really going on with LI, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Brian
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ron LaDow »

Brian R Adams wrote:If Ron is not actually a member of LinkedIn, then LI will not be able to service Ron's complaint directly. If LI members' accounts are being used to send out millions of invitations, they should be able to eventually get a handle on that, but "it's complicated."Brian
Brian, this is not directed toward you. I'm just picking your comment as a starting point.
I don't know if I ever was a 'member'; I certainly never intended to be such and if I clicked something that made me so without making it clear I was doing so, shame on LI. It turns out that some tab I clicked caused LI to set up a 'profile page' of me, in spite of the fact that, outside of my name, there was absolutely nothing listed on that page, nor (AFAIK) did I ever agree to a profile page or offer any information for that page. And, seemingly, that blank page generated false 'requests' under my name that others get sucked into the same scam, to put it in clear terms.
So, I sent a 'contact us' message asking to get the hell out of here. It was ignored for several days. I then got some info, drilled down, found the nearly empty 'profile page' and found a way to get the hell out! A day later, I got a response from 'customer service' that they noticed I'd already found a way to bail. Some 'customer service'.
I want to make clear that I am a vigorous supporter of capitalism and business in general, but I am not a supporter of the duck-and-weave tactics of many of the web-based businesses; if you are asked to 'join' something, the 'offerer' should make clear that you are 'joining' something and that your name will now be used in this or that circumstance.
None of which did I see or agree to; my name is my property and if you wish to use it, ask to do so in specific terms.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#9 Post by Brian R Adams »

Ron,

I think you've hit on it - they've made it incredibly easy to join, even inadvertently.

I also note that LinkedIn were in the financial news on Friday when their stock price plummeted 20% on a weak outlook report, and it hasn't recovered today.

Brian

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ron LaDow »

Brian R Adams wrote:Ron,I think you've hit on it - they've made it incredibly easy to join, even inadvertently.Brian
You're entirely too kind; they've made it 'easy to join' under entirely fraudulent claims. It turns out the two people who sent me 'requests that I join them' did nothing of the sort; LI generated those by phishing their email lists as it did mine after I 'joined'.
Not a single one of the notices or requests in my experience, forward or backward, was generated by the person named in the request. EVERY single one of them originated with LI's algorithm, I guess in the hopes no one would notice.
I'd short.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ron LaDow »

Dennis ODonnell wrote:Ron, I got a request from you at ChristianMingle.com. What's that about?
Dennis, they got the wrong guy for several reasons!
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

C J Murray
356 Fan

#12 Post by C J Murray »

Dennis ODonnell wrote:Ron, I got a request from you at ChristianMingle.com. What's that about?
Zero tolerance for offensive speech? Humor(?) at the expense of Gays and Christians?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#13 Post by Brian R Adams »

Ron LaDow wrote:
Brian R Adams wrote:Ron,I think you've hit on it - they've made it incredibly easy to join, even inadvertently.Brian
You're entirely too kind; they've made it 'easy to join' under entirely fraudulent claims. It turns out the two people who sent me 'requests that I join them' did nothing of the sort; LI generated those by phishing their email lists as it did mine after I 'joined'.
Not a single one of the notices or requests in my experience, forward or backward, was generated by the person named in the request. EVERY single one of them originated with LI's algorithm, I guess in the hopes no one would notice.
I'd short.
Ron,

That's exactly how LI is supposed to work, and members should know LI uses their contacts to cross-check against others' contacts, to encourage expansion of the members' networks. It's based on a "six degrees of separation" concept. No LI member should be surprised to learn someone they know, or might know (though a mutual contact) was sent an invitation to "connect" to them.

What puzzles me, still, is how you simply "clicked on something" and Voila! you were a member of LinkedIn with a login, password, and profile page. That just doesn't jibe with my experience, and I've been on LI for over a decade. Maybe it's changed. But it's never struck me in the least as "fraudulent", and in fact it's a mainstream social networking organization just like Facebook with many millions of members. And, like Facebook, I'm sure many folks rue the day they joined and pull out, but it's not a "phishing scam" in even a remote sense.

Let's reduce this down to the essence: To be a member of LI, you must establish a login and a password. Did they just create those out of whole cloth and send them to you, saying "Here's how you'll log in to LinkedIn"? The login could just be your e-mail address by default, but the password is the key item - how did you get one?

Brian

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#14 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

Ron, you probably know more about IT than me but if you use a Mac you may have overlooked these. They solved the problem for me. (As you can tell by my rule#, eternal vigilance. There are no business ethics in online advertising. I've been advised if your address book is hacked, an acct can be set up for you.) The first is in Mail Preferences, the second in Safari Preferences. I click the Privacy "Remove..." preference every time I go online.
mail prefs1.png
safari prefs1.png