HAPPY EARTH DAY!

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Rosemary Sampson

HAPPY EARTH DAY!

#1 Post by Rosemary Sampson »

Happy Earth Day

MalibuRoam

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

Re: HAPPY EARTH DAY!

#2 Post by Brian R Adams »

Doesn't the Moon deserve a day, too?
Attachments
models-vs-datasets-3.jpg
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#3 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Brian,

As I was unable to reach out to you on a personal note, this will have to do. That graph represents what's seemed logical to my mind all along. If I could have a look at your source, I'd be inclined to pass the word along to those I care about who are stuck in the camp of popular public nonsense. Now, how do we put a 356 spin on this thread. 356 memorable driving days in just another ordinary 365 kind of year. Mother earth has been laughing at the antics of humankind ever since we came over to claim this rock as ours. I for one am well pleased with the hydrocarbons that gave of their time on this rock to leave us with an abundance of fuel by which to create a 356 life so rewarding.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#4 Post by Brian R Adams »

glen hamner wrote:Brian,

As I was unable to reach out to you on a personal note, this will have to do. That graph represents what's seemed logical to my mind all along. If I could have a look at your source, I'd be inclined to pass the word along to those I care about who are stuck in the camp of popular public nonsense. Now, how do we put a 356 spin on this thread. 356 memorable driving days in just another ordinary 365 kind of year. Mother earth has been laughing at the antics of humankind ever since we came over to claim this rock as ours. I for one am well pleased with the hydrocarbons that gave of their time on this rock to leave us with an abundance of fuel by which to create a 356 life so rewarding.
Glen,

Not sure why you weren't able to PM or E-mail me via the Forum. Others have.

Re: 356 content:

Some "experts" predict a warmer world will be a wetter world, ergo fewer 356 driving days for your humble narrator. (I don't even have my windshield wipers installed - I simply don't drive in the rain.)

But wait - other "experts" are blaming current droughts in various locales on "global warming", so presumably a warmer world will be a drier world, ergo more 356 driving days for your humble narrator. Yay!

Since the world hasn't warmed for well over 18 years now, i.e. for a human generation (see "The Pause" in the literature) it's hard to imagine current droughts can be chalked up to warming, but, hey, perhaps "climate stasis" causes droughts? Just sayin'.

Brian

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#5 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Brian,

Maybe my hacking skills are low tech. When I view a post by anyone, I can select their name in the header and it takes me to their profile page. If there is an email function shown on their page, I use it to send a personal note. If there is no such function, I'm back to the talk line and posting there. Maybe there is another way to find your address, maybe I'm too lazy to have a look. I'm going to do some looking around anyway and see what else is there. Just looked again, nada, no e-mail function on your profile page. Sooooooo, what's the secret, I see not way to contact some members other than through their Talk line postings. No doubt your friends can reach you, I'm just Registry member with similar interest.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#6 Post by C J Murray »

Because I drive a car that existed in the early 70's when the first Earth Day was celebrated, I am still convinced that we are headed for a man induced ice age. I will simply put studded tires on the 356. I am sorry that I sold the Euro heat coupe though.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#7 Post by Wes Bender »

In spite of what others expound upon, the earth will eventually become a ball of ice when the internal furnace finally runs out of heat. Probably get down to, oh say -356 degrees or so. That will be when the "hockey stick" in the climate graphs will finally be of use, at least for our Canadian contingent.

On a more serious note (and I think it's been mentioned on here before), scientists need to follow Richard Feynman's suggestions about research procedures rather than arriving at conclusions first and then making the numbers match what they want.

Ok., I'm out of here. It's Friday and getting close to cocktail hour.

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#8 Post by Brian R Adams »

C J Murray wrote:Because I drive a car that existed in the early 70's when the first Earth Day was celebrated, I am still convinced that we are headed for a man induced ice age. I will simply put studded tires on the 356. I am sorry that I sold the Euro heat coupe though.
Some quotable quotes from early Earth Days (stop and ponder how valueless our 356s should be by now.):

“By…[1975] some experts feel that food shortages will have escalated the present level of world hunger and starvation into famines of unbelievable proportions. Other experts, more optimistic, think the ultimate food-population collision will not occur until the decade of the 1980s.”
• Paul Ehrlich, Stanford University biologist

“It is already too late to avoid mass starvation.”
• Denis Hayes, chief organizer for the first Earth Day

“Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions….By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine.”
• Peter Gunter, professor, North Texas State University

“Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to support…the following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution…by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half….”
• Life Magazine, January 1970

“By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate…that there won’t be any more crude oil. You’ll drive up to the pump and say, `Fill ‘er up, buddy,’ and he’ll say, `I am very sorry, there isn’t any.’”
• Kenneth Watt, Ecologist

“The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years. If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.”
• Kenneth Watt, Ecologist

C J Murray
356 Fan

#9 Post by C J Murray »

When scientists start cooking the books they are no longer scientists and need to be ignored.

I do think that there are many things that we do not know and will never understand. The planet marches on and will for longer than we can imagine I suspect....or maybe it will implode tomorrow. I may not know but I am pretty convinced that nobody else knows either. I am far from being willing to make others rich through carbon credits. Back to the banjo.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Rosemary Sampson

#10 Post by Rosemary Sampson »

Brian R Adams wrote:Doesn't the Moon deserve a day, too?
Once per week. It's called Monday.