Bring a Trailer's sales top $1.4B despite classic car 'bubble' correction

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Brian R Adams
356 Fan

Bring a Trailer's sales top $1.4B despite classic car 'bubble' correction

#1 Post by Brian R Adams »

Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Bring a Trailer's sales top $1.4B despite classic car 'bubble' correction

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

The Emory Special and other high end cars certainly bumped up their sales figures.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

It makes you wonder what Emory charges. A buyer for that car is on a completely different path from the typical 356 owner. Keeping in mind that you can buy a new GT4 for a fraction of the price and go MUCH faster, you don't buy an Emory for performance. Those cars are as useful as a Gucci handbag. Both function acceptably but more importantly they are a lifestyle accessory produced by a company that has built a BRAND for which they charge an exorbitant price. I guess I am more of a Walmart vinyl handbag guy. Why do people stare?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

I think it might boil down to exclusivity and a lot of disposable income with a bit of ego-reinforcement. If it floats their boat to have Emory build them a car, all the best to them. I think the same could be said for anything that was limited production or availability be it a vehicle, artwork, etc.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wes Bender »

CJ asks: "Why do people stare?"

It's because the vinyl handbag doesn't match the rest of your outfit........

I'd be afraid to drive a $802K car. Doing so would cause the depreciation to soar astronomically.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

C J Murray
356 Fan

#6 Post by C J Murray »

It matches my pumps.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#7 Post by Brian R Adams »

C J Murray wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:17 pm It matches my pumps.
"You should see me in white taffeta."

Jerry Lewis, The King Of Comedy (1982)
-

C J Murray
356 Fan

#8 Post by C J Murray »

You may have seen me in the People of Walmart videos.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#9 Post by Peter Silten »

I can appreciate the craftsmanship that went into creating the Emory car but it’s not my cup of tea. But to each his own. As one commentator aptly put it on BaT, “I can buy a ’74 911 RS for this kind of money….I know which one I am buying…all day long!”

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#10 Post by Brian R Adams »

If I were forced to choose an Emory w/ the Outlaw-4 engine, I'd rather have a sleeper 'A' sunroof coupe, externally indistinguishable from a bone stock 'A'.
-

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#11 Post by Adam Wright »

I think the great fallacy of buying one of these cars and using the logic of, "“I can buy a ’74 911 RS for this kind of money" is that the guy who is buying an Emory for $802000 already has an RS, and a bunch of other stuff. While the common man is saying, "If I spent that money I would have this, not that." The not common man isn't thinking in terms of have or or have not, he wants it, he buys it.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#12 Post by C J Murray »

Adam Wright wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:28 am I think the great fallacy of buying one of these cars and using the logic of, "“I can buy a ’74 911 RS for this kind of money" is that the guy who is buying an Emory for $802000 already has an RS, and a bunch of other stuff. While the common man is saying, "If I spent that money I would have this, not that." The not common man isn't thinking in terms of have or or have not, he wants it, he buys it.
In some cases I am sure that you are right. They can park it next to the Singer.

There are so many factions in the car hobby. The purist may like a hot rod but are more likely to want "period" modifications. I have never owned a street rod but I do like them a lot. But my street rod would have to be an original steel body, no billet crap, 100% period correct, no Chevy small block. If it doesn't look like a late 40s early 50s hot rod I have no interest. A gaudy paint job and ultra modern chatskas are a bit crass. There is no technological reason to own one either since there are dozens of cars that will run circles around it. Like art, it is in the eyes of the beholder.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#13 Post by Adam Wright »

C J Murray wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:00 am
Adam Wright wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:28 am I think the great fallacy of buying one of these cars and using the logic of, "“I can buy a ’74 911 RS for this kind of money" is that the guy who is buying an Emory for $802000 already has an RS, and a bunch of other stuff. While the common man is saying, "If I spent that money I would have this, not that." The not common man isn't thinking in terms of have or or have not, he wants it, he buys it.
In some cases I am sure that you are right. They can park it next to the Singer.

There are so many factions in the car hobby. The purist may like a hot rod but are more likely to want "period" modifications. I have never owned a street rod but I do like them a lot. But my street rod would have to be an original steel body, no billet crap, 100% period correct, no Chevy small block. If it doesn't look like a late 40s early 50s hot rod I have no interest. A gaudy paint job and ultra modern chatskas are a bit crass. There is no technological reason to own one either since there are dozens of cars that will run circles around it. Like art, it is in the eyes of the beholder.
Logic rarely plays a part in owning a classic car. As my brother likes to say, "I'll smoke them all in my Audi Wagon". That includes his multiple Porsche and Ferrari.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#14 Post by Wes Bender »

I subscribe to CJ's thinking. When I was entering car shows and had to judge the various classes, when I got to the street rod classes, I had a few criteria that I used. One of them was that I wanted no fiberglass. Another was that the body and engine had to come from the same family, i.e. Ford or Chevy or Chrysler product, etc. Of course, if the car had a stack of trophies in front of it, I figured they didn't need any more. Lack of even a minor rock chip in the paint could be a tie-breaker too. Show 'em, but drive 'em.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....