356 Registry lawsuit update, March 27, 2015

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: 356 Registry lawsuit update, March 27, 2015

#61 Post by C J Murray »

Roy Lock wrote:I use to tell young engineers about how NASA spent thousands to invent a pen that would write in zero gravity. The Russians just brought pencils.
That's funny! :D
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#62 Post by Joris Koning »

All,

It appears the registry's legal challenges are behind us. I hope, as a club, we can take necessary steps the make the registry more prepared for the demographic changes that will face it in years to come. Now that the trustees schedule is no longer dominated by the law suit a clear strategy on how to attract younger members and deal with the new digital reality should be the number one priority!

With regard to the book keeping, I do not doubt Fred's ability nor the honesty of those members that serve us. To me it does appear that an electronic book keeping system might make it easier to distribute financial information to the membership and safe time for the current and future treasurer in the long run. If a non-profit license is indeed only $400 I would suggest this is something which at least should be considered.
Last edited by Joris Koning on Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#63 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

"Something wrong" could be sloppiness, inaccuracy, or incompetence."

There's the rub. On the forum, Heinrichs didn't accuse the board of embezzlement but he was pissed at their alleged incompetence. 7000 other people felt no need to address that kind of allegation either. I can't access those posts but it was a shouting match. The suits were a different ballgame. Both sides often threaten with a heavier bat than they swing.

"As to the tone of the "Occupy Registry" mob..." Who cares? I know it still bugs you but that has nothing to do with the suits; Heinrichs wasn't running for a seat. The election's long over. It was contested as most elections are, by people who thought they could do a better job of governing than the incumbents. Both sides made some iffy statements.

I do read your posts thoroughly, Cliff. I'm not always sure it's the same jovial guy who explains so clearly to the rest of us the details of arcane machinery. The board members are articulate men, they don't need an interpreter.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#64 Post by C J Murray »

Dennis,
This exchange has been a pretty good one and I doubt we will grow any closer on the issue. You are right that the Trustees do not need an interpreter. I kept waiting for them to defend themselves in the court of public opinion while the 30 pages of accusations were levied. Of course they couldn't and their lawyers forbid them from doing so. Some members had to defend them here. Now that this is resolved legally it would be nice if the Trustees could feel free to express how the allegations effected their lives and what it was like to be attacked. Maybe they could let us know if they felt that they were accused of crimes or just incompetence. They know what was alleged against them and they are best able to interpret the attacks in court and out. Or, maybe they are just happy to never have to mention it again. I always knew the Trustees were good guys so I am very happy regardless.
Cliff
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Charlie White
356 Fan

#65 Post by Charlie White »

"I always knew the Trustees were good guys..........."

Right on, CJ! This whole lawsuit was a unnecessary waste of time and
resources!

CW
Charlie White

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#66 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Cliff, thanks for bringing it up. YES; the whole F*****G lawsuit horses**t definitely affected me personally. With all the attacks regarding "trustee for life", incompetence, etc., I certainly felt it personally. When a LONG time member made comments that I took as an afront, it changed my whole feeling for this club. Of course I heard plenty of support from intelligent members. Two years ago I was not going to run again for trustee. I've only been involved with this club since DAY ONE. But a certain SH sent out an email that said that he would get to the bottom of all this trustee malfeance, but he would let the guilty parties "leave with what dignity they had left". At that point I said FU, SH and ran again for trustee. I certainly didn't need the three days out of my schedule for each meeting; with complaints from the peanut gallery that maybe we shouldn't even get a free dinner out of it!
But the election was just wonderful. A new total of members voting, with ME getting about double the votes I had gotten in the past. Thank you to all for your outpouring of support. Most of you get it.

Charlie White
356 Fan

#67 Post by Charlie White »

Vic,

THANK YOU for your long time service to the Registry. To think anyone
who knows you guys on the board would doubt your intentions is a
travesty. Personally I think the naysayers should be asked to leave
the club. After all there's another "club" out there that seems willing
to take them in!

CW
Charlie White

Rosemary Sampson

OFF with their heads

#68 Post by Rosemary Sampson »

off with their heads.jpg
off with their heads.jpg (7.04 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
:D

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#69 Post by Jim Liberty »

At least she could have selected something from Rocky & Bullwinkle.

............................I'm hurt, Jim.
Jim Liberty

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#70 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Vic,

Thank you for letting people know some of the backstory that was not common knowledge. I wonder how many others knew that the trustees were individually sued for racketeering via the RICO laws. Or that the scorched earth approach lawsuit brought by RSH even included Mary Skamser.
For those of you not familiar with Mary, she works for Gordon Maltby. Among other duties ,which include interacting with members and helping them with their questions, she answers the phone at the publishing office.

Let that sink in for a minute. He sued the lady that answers the phone in Gordon Maltby's office.

RSH's supporters say, "well, if tbe trustees had just given in immediately none of this would have happened"

Brilliant, blame the victims.

Anyone who supports the plaintiff after knowing this is nuts, regardless if the case had any merit.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

C J Murray
356 Fan

#71 Post by C J Murray »

I wonder if SH regrets listening to the Sampsons urging him on to prosecute the Trustees? What about Al Zim? I remember a lot of cheerleading going on so you have to wonder who had SH's ear. Wouldn't you like to have been a fly on the wall?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#72 Post by Jim Liberty »

Guys, there very few checks written be Fred Nielson. He sees no reason to spend a dime on any software. As soon as this mess is over, and who knows when, maybe he will have had enough. There are more than one Trustee/Officed who have been burned out by the travesty. None of you have any idea of the constant flow of information being produced by the plaintif, all needing review, analysis, and a knowledgable reply.

This has nearly ruined the Presidents retirement, and in my opinion designed to do so. I got a call from a member this morning asking about the Rennsport Trustee dinner, after a short chat, he mentioned a letter he received from the plaintiff. He commented how well written it was and how informative. He never looks at his computer, just the magazine (He belongs because of it) so this was his real exposure to the law suit.

"Why didn't you guys send out a letter" well the court has warned about discussing the case before it is settled. All legal proceedings are carried out this way. Well, not with this guy, he never appears in court, as we have, never produced documents requested by the court, we provided all requested information. The whole thing is a sham. Oh, now I'm really in trouble, and don't care ...........Jim.
Jim Liberty

Charlie White
356 Fan

#73 Post by Charlie White »

Do you really think "Off with their Head!"?
Charlie White

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#74 Post by Ron LaDow »

For now, this evening:

Dennis O:
"Ron, saying only digital financial records can be accurate or that was the heart of the complaint is disingenuous/dishonest, is that what you mean? Witholding information in whatever format was the accusation."
I agree with your second sentence, but, for example (pg 3 of "The Letter"):
"There is no use of even simple accounting software [...] as a result, it is difficult for anyone to know what is and is not going on with the finances of this company because there are no real books to audit."
This is, simply, bullshit. Numbers printed from digital sources are in no way more accurate than numbers written with a quill, for that matter. I won't guess why such an issue was raised; you may do so.

But let's back up to pg 2:
"You may have heard claims that information I requested was provided to me even before the lawsuit. In my opinion, that is not true. At times, 356 Registry offered to provide certain limited pieces of information, but not all that I requested (particularly financial information)".
Note the claim that 'in [Steves] opinion', the request was not fulfilled. Now, those of you who can listen critically to radio ads for womens' cosmetics may see some similarities here; "[in our opinion] Wrinkles seem to disappear!"
Note also the claim that the information provided was "limited"; IOWs, the Registry declined to provide everything Steve requested, but Steve declines in this letter to define the extent of his requests.

Further:
"In my opinion, the items I asked to review should have been simply and easily provided to ANY member requesting to see them, and could have been done so electronically."
Note again, the claim that they were not available, but again hedged by the requirement they be delivered "electronically".

This piece of propaganda deserves to be taken apart piece by piece, but not all at one time. Maybe pg 1 needs a look next time; it seems a target-rich area.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

C J Murray
356 Fan

#75 Post by C J Murray »

Hi Jim,
You and others have correctly mentioned that many members do not use Talk and have only the SH propaganda letter as the explanation of the lawsuit. As soon as the lawyers will allow you to do so the Trustees must send a detailed email explaining what REALLY happened. Some detail about SH complaints on other subjects that occurred prior to the complaint about accounting might be helpful in setting the tone before he complained about accounting and ultimately filed a lawsuit. Even most people that spend little time "on line" will read their email at least once a week. SH is not worth the cost of a snail mail blast but we obviously need to reach Registry members that do not use Talk. Thank you for what you have done.
Cliff
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion