SoCal rod shop recommendation

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Mike Grant
356 Fan

SoCal rod shop recommendation

#1 Post by Mike Grant »

Do any of you SoCal members know of a reputable hot rod shop in the area? I'm asking for a friend who just inherited her father's 1953 Ford Customline. She wants to make it a regular driver and has had not been able to find a shop for the work.

The body is in excellent condition. Paint is original and will clean up nicely, same for the interior. She doesn't plan to change the body, paint and interior.

The floors and trunk pans need to be patched or replaced. Mechanically, she wants to install modern suspension, brakes, power steering and probably a fuel injected small block. Basically, she wants a reliable driver that will remind her of her dad when she drives it.

I thought that some of you SoCal members might also be tied into the local rod scene and could provide a contact.

Thanks,

Mike Grant

Peter Chifo Jr
356 Fan

Re: SoCal rod shop recommendation

#2 Post by Peter Chifo Jr »

Without reservation I would strongly endorse Hollywood Hot Rods in Burbank. I searched for some time to find a shop to undertake my 1960 thunderbird custom build. I have been extremely impressed with their craftsmanship and even more so with their ethics and integrity. For the scope of work you're looking to have done they would be a great fit. If you have any others in mind PM me. I have unfortunately had and heard of experiences with a few shops I would recommend you steer clear of.

Mike Grant
356 Fan

#3 Post by Mike Grant »

Thanks Peter. She's contacted a few shops and didn't feel comfortable with any of them. It seemed like most of them only wanted to do $100K builds and many wouldn't even call back.

I'll forward this recommendation to her. I'm sure that she's looking forward to getting the car back on the road. It actually runs and drives now, but she doesn't feel safe driving car with 60 year old brakes, steering, suspension and engine.

Roland Resos
356 Fan

#4 Post by Roland Resos »

I would recommend Steve Ryan, Ryan Auto Design 714.751.3788 he's a Ford guy
and likes the early shoe box Fords he's doing a Ford station wagon for Bill Perone
of "Parts Shop"

Regards,

Rolly Resos

Mike Grant
356 Fan

#5 Post by Mike Grant »

Thanks Roland, sounds like a good option.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

There are a couple of shops near me that work on the old Detroit cars. I don't have any personal experience with any of them but have heard good things about one: Braun's on Narbonne Avenue in the city of Lomita. It might be worth giving them a call. I've seen some very nice cars in his shop.

Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe