And so it begins.....the 904 project!

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
gregorycampbell
356 Fan

Re: And so it begins.....the 904 project!

#31 Post by gregorycampbell »

Pacific Raceways
Gregory Campbell
'60 Roadster, Outlaw
'67 Double Cab, Porschwagen
'18 904 w/ faux cam
'55 Speedster, Devin bodied Racer
'64 Elva Porsche
'64 Coupe, RHD Racer
'62 Single Cab, Volkshauler
'57 ghia, Porschized rally car
'55 Sunroof, Outlaw

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#32 Post by Adam Wright »

I have has 0 time to work on the car for the last few weeks. Trying to get as many cars out the door before the snow hits I guess. I did score an important piece yesterday though, a rear clip from a SAAB Sonett. Why a Sonett clip? Because Porsche used SAAB tail lights for the 904. The guy made me take the whole clip. I was on my way to Delaware yesterday and grabbed this in Jersey.
Attachments
IMG_8450.JPG
sonett2.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

M Penta
356 Fan

#33 Post by M Penta »

What, a 904 too?

You are not too far from me, I will need to check out your next open house.

Did you see the 904's at LRP historics this year? Glad it survived that very hot day!

I think you bought a couple of reasonably priced 356 projects from a guy in CT. I had my eye on those but could not afford... Looked like a nice deal.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#34 Post by Adam Wright »

M Penta wrote:What, a 904 too?

You are not too far from me, I will need to check out your next open house.

Did you see the 904's at LRP historics this year? Glad it survived that very hot day!

I think you bought a couple of reasonably priced 356 projects from a guy in CT. I had my eye on those but could not afford... Looked like a nice deal.
These ones? Nice guy, hell cars, but one is being restored by a Registry brother, check it out in the projects section.

You can swing by the shop anytime, just call me first to make sure I'm there, the cops are across the street and if you're not a Wright brother or Big John they tend to pounce!
Attachments
ctr8.JPG
ctr7.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

M Penta
356 Fan

#35 Post by M Penta »

I've heard about this big John, didn't I read he had something in common with someone's girlfriend here? J/K.

Thanks for the offer, I have been looking for an excuse to tour out to the Adirondacks, I don't get across the lake often enough. Probably won't be till Spring, but I will call first.

Yes, those are the cars. Glad they went to a good home.

Mark

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#36 Post by Adam Wright »

We aren't that far north anymore, just south of Albany in Ravena. I was in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago, found one of the first 30 Speedsters resting in a barn.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

M Penta
356 Fan

#37 Post by M Penta »

Adam,

Is there a thread on this speedster find? sounds very interesting, I'd love to hear the story. I may have heard about that car, was it central VT area? I did not think it was a speedster though....

Recently an extremely valuable AC Bristol Cobra was pulled out of a barn here, interesting story.

BTW, that 904 project is awesome, a match made in heaven.

Mark

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#38 Post by Adam Wright »

It wasn't central VT, farther north. I'll probably write up the story in a future column.
The 904 is coming along, hoping to get into it hard this winter.
Attachments
3.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

M Penta
356 Fan

#39 Post by M Penta »

Not that you need any inspiration, but here are a few pics of a 64 904 at Limerock. It was a hot day, and he ran that 4 cam very hard.
Sounded amazing and was quite a site. 904's are amazing, that is the kit car to build.
Attachments
64 904.jpg
904.jpg
904 and 356.jpg

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#40 Post by Adam Wright »

Ok, so we finally got out from the pile of cars and parts we buried ourselves in since the summer. Next time when someone asks if I want to do a 50 car Porsche deal, I won't be as enthusiastic!
Back to the grind on the 904 project, literally, grinding and cutting the skin off the test bed car, the doomed 914 center seater. Well, as excited as I was to get back into the project, it was a classic case of two steps forward, one step back. I worked on the chassis most of Thursday and had planned to go into the shop on Friday and have a whole day of Porsche bliss. Since it was a holiday my phone would not be ringing so I could just fire up the pellet stove, turn on some music and get to work. Except, while grinding on Thursday a little piece of metal got past my safety glasses so by the evening my eye was swelling pretty good and by bedtime it felt like pins were in my eye when I tried to close it. Ever try to sleep without closing one eye?
So Friday morning I went to a Doc-In-The-Box and after looking at my eye they sent me to the ER, so the day I was supposed to be in Porsche Project Heaven I was actually in ER Hell. Luckily the 3rd DR to try was able to get the chunk of Porsche out of my eyeball and it quickly starting feeling better. I still have to see a 4th DR on Monday to deal with the rust ring the metal made in my eye. Yes, in case you were wondering, Porsche rust never sleeps, even in your eyeball!
So Saturday the kids had art camp so I went to the shop and got slicing and dicing, the 914 now looks more like a Kubelwagon than a 914. Now that winter has officially hit NY, look for more updates in the coming weeks.
Oh, and don't grind in just safety glasses, I ignored my own advice and the ER visit was the result, wear a full face shield.
Happy New Year-
Attachments
safety.JPG
20.JPG
21.JPG
22.JPG
23.JPG
23.JPG (77.21 KiB) Viewed 4393 times
ER.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#41 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Mid-engine Kubelwagen; I like it!
Anybody can have a 904 clone.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#42 Post by Adam Wright »

VIc-
This is my testing car, when I'm done with it, bring your trailer!
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#43 Post by Adam Wright »

I was making really good progress today until I had to go and see the eye DR to do the final scrapping of rust out of my eye. But the rear end is really starting to look like it belongs. More updates tomorrow, it's in the single digits outside so lots of time to work in the warm shop, winter is here!
Attachments
26.JPG
25.JPG
24.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#44 Post by Adam Wright »

Got it within about 1.5 inches of where I want the rear end today. Tomorrow I will play with lowering the rear shock towers, that should buy me the space I need for a perfect fit. The headaches are getting bigger, but so if the fun!
Starting to look like a car.
Attachments
32.JPG
31.JPG
30.JPG
tail-comp.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#45 Post by Mike Wilson »

Awesome! Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress, Adam.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe