But otherwise, how was your trip?

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: But otherwise, how was your trip?

#16 Post by Greg Bryan »

Hopefully this thread will just die a well-deserved death...
Greg Bryan

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#17 Post by Jim Liberty »

I agree Cliff, but Greg just piped in, and I'll get in big trouble. This venue is the only place you and Adam will talk to me. ...............Jim.
Jim Liberty

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#18 Post by Brian R Adams »

Greg Bryan wrote:Hopefully this thread will just die a well-deserved death...
Let nature take her course. Works for wildlife documentarians and the United Federation of Planets.
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#19 Post by Steve Harrison »

Ok,...before it dies, this sorta(?) fits into the original thread title and sentiment.
Here's my famous Indian joke:

The newly arrived European settlers were having their weekly (through an interpreter) meeting with the local indian chiefs.
As the conversations went on, the main indian chief muttered to no one in particular, "Wuggumma waddidie mot keiiowey mo chomasstu"
The comment caught the ear of the European captain and he asked the interpreter, "What did he just say?"
The interpreter sheepishly replied,.."Him say,...if they are going to stay,..at least they should learn the language".

C J Murray
356 Fan

#20 Post by C J Murray »

Won't Pilgrims be offended?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#21 Post by Doug McDonnell »

While stationed in Southern Italy compliments of the Air Force I was amazed by the number of people who never left the base while stationed there.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Larry Coreth
356 Fan

#22 Post by Larry Coreth »

Doug,

Maybe that was a good thing ! Those people might have just caused more trouble among the natives with their parochial attitude, besides it was their loss and the natives were left in peace.
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

C J Murray
356 Fan

#23 Post by C J Murray »

Italians are some of the nicest and hospitable people on earth. If uncle Sam was paying the bill and the morons didn't get out to enjoy the Italian culture then I am very sad for them. I am amazed at how Italians embrace stranger American visitors. Italians are wonderful people.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

TomDoherty
356 Fan

#24 Post by TomDoherty »

I had dinner with an old friend from High School while I was in Brussels recently.
For the past 11 years, he has been a teacher at NATO headquarters, bought a house in a nearby town and has 3 children all born in Belgium.
At dinner, it became obvious he couldn't understand the locals. I asked him if he had picked up any language skills and he said he doesn't speak any of the local tongues.
I couldn't understand that, then I came home and was confronted by the same thing with some guys working on my new garage.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#25 Post by Doug McDonnell »

CJ I agree 100% I loved my 2 1/2 years in Italy. Younger Italians loved to practice their English on us. And they enjoyed my attempts to butcher their language. Very family oriented. Small local restaurant owner patiently showed this hick from North Dakota how to roll pasta on the spoon correctly. I was even invited to my Landlord's son's wedding. I also learned to pay my electric bill with canned ham,cigarettes and American whiskey. Great memories.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.