Santa Monica Restaurants

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Bob Forman
356 Fan

Santa Monica Restaurants

#1 Post by Bob Forman »

My wife and I will be staying in Santa Monica while watching a golf tournament at the end of the month. I'm wondering if any of you bon vivant's who live in that area might recommend a restaurant or two or three. I read Jessica Biel was opening one there. Any word on that? Thanks
Bob Forman

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Santa Monica Restaurants

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Hey, Bob:

Sorry I don't have any first hand knowledge of the restaurants in Santa Monica but I just Googled "Santa Monica restaurants" and came up with Trip Advisor and other sites. I'd also suggest touching base with the concierge at the hotel if you are staying at one.

You know why they call it "golf"? Because all the other 4-letter words were taken! Ha!

Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#3 Post by Greg Bryan »

There are a lot of fine restaurants in Santa Monica. 'Lobster' is at the entrance of Santa Monica Pier - very good. There are lots of restaurants on the near-by 3rd St. Promenade and hours of entertainment watching people.
Have fun!
Greg Bryan

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#4 Post by Trevor Gates »

Go here for one meal, not in Santa Monica but close.

http://www.gladstones.com/
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/

Dick Douglass
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dick Douglass »

Mr. and Mrs. Bob Forman,
Welcome to Santa Monica.
Watching Golf is a great way to spend time together, and so I suggest you and your wife share a meal at "Ye Olde King's Head" near the Santa Monica Pier. They have English food which is predictable and down right delicious. Please find your way to 1002 22nd Street, Santa Monica, Ca. 90403. This is the private residence of Frank Gehry. His Alma Mater is" THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA" !!!! "Fight ON" !!!

Enjoy your time in "SOUTHERN Cal" and please come back again.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brian R Adams »

Might as well visit one of the main "foodie" web sites, and read some reviews:

http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/

Click on "View full board list", then California-> Los Angeles Area

Better yet, just put "Santa Monica" in the search box up top, there are plenty of threads.

Of course, sites like this elevate offbeat and smaller establishments. If you want the mainstream, established eateries, Trip Advisor and AAA etc will serve.
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ashley Page »

Dick Douglass wrote:They have English food which is predictable
Well at least that part about the English food is universally accepted as the truth!!! :P :P

Ok - sorry but couldn't resist.

Rosemary Sampson

#8 Post by Rosemary Sampson »

Bob:

First choice: Try The Galley in SM. VERY old school. On Main Street at the south end of town. You'll see signed photos of movie stars that dined there when your grandfather did - or maybe your father. Still a great place. If you'd prefer a sawdust on the floor atmosphere with cheap pitchers (at least back in the 60s and 70s) try Buffalo Chips (next door to the Oar House) a couple blocks further south on Main. The last parking spot in Santa Monica disappeared in 1976 just after I met my husband at the Surf Rider on Ocean Avenue. Bill always liked Chez Jay on Ocean which he frequented before we married. It's still there too. Someone else mentioned the Lobster and it's pretty good too - right next to the pier.

Neither of us know much about the "newer" places as we simply don't go "into town" that much and haven't for a long time - AND, it's 25 miles just to go to the pier. SM holds a special place in our hearts - we both lived there and we met there, at the Surf Rider and had our wedding dinner celebration at Madame Wu's a great Chinese restaurant no longer there since Sylvia Wu's passing.

Gladstone's is not in SM (nor Malibu for that matter) but is ocean front if you want that and many do. Food is OK but was much better when it was located in Santa Monica Canyon 30 years ago. If you have a heavy wallet you would like lightened come out to Malibu and try Geoffrey's. Excellent food and great views immediately overlooking the ocean. Weeknight early bird dinners are a great and less expensive choice. Bill doesn't drink and I drink very little so our dinner tabs are lighter than some wherever we go. Eschew the Paradise Cove Beach Cafe - we gave up on it.

It was about 80 today and beautiful - hope the weather holds for you.

MalibuRoam

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#9 Post by Bob Forman »

Thanks all for the great suggestions. With three nights there we won't be able to fit in all of them but now we have a reliable selection from which to choose.
Bob Forman