Winston Churchill

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
jim saunders
356 Fan

Winston Churchill

#1 Post by jim saunders »

Tomorrow, the 24th of January, marks the 50th anniversary since Sir Winston Churchill died.
I'm sure there are others in our Registry that would like to remember as well.
A great man, how lucky we were.

Jim Saunders. Sydney, Australia.

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Winston Churchill

#2 Post by C J Murray »

And he was in his twenties when he predicted our current problems. Great man!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#3 Post by Trevor Gates »

"Never, never, never give up."

Used that one a time or two in my life!
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

France folded like a cheap suit, but England held on.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Stephen Masefield
356 Fan

#5 Post by Stephen Masefield »

PLEASE....Not so fast with this Churchill adoration ...yes a clever guy in some of the WW2 strategies BUT ...
To winners are the rights to write history .. Churchill was not always the hero people like to think - in fact he was plain ugly at times - in fact guilty of war crimes and including being a racist, bigot, mass murderer, anti Semitic, used gas as a WMD (well before Saddam!), inflicted mass starvation on countless thousands, union crusher in Wales (made Thatcher look like a saint), gave the Irish hell (Black and Tans) and on and on. Ask your selves why he was IMMEDIATELY voted out of power as WW2 ended. Oh yes, he was clever and manipulative as well - like most politicians on both sides of the aisle (and what ever side of the Atlantic you are from)!
If you like and want to see what the BBC reports:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29701767

.....meanwhile back to fitting my engine back into the car...
Last edited by Stephen Masefield on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
'57 Coupe
'61 Sunroof Coupe
'79 911SC Targa (Stupidly sold)
'23 Subaru BRZ (poor mans Porsche)
Ford Diesel to haul 'stuff'

Rosemary Sampson

#6 Post by Rosemary Sampson »

Thanks Stephen. We have our concerns with Churchill also. It is politically correct, of course, to bash France, but, had France not come to our aid in the Revolutionary War we would remain slave-holding colonies of the Crown. GB should be more grateful that the Germans were unable to teach the Panzers to swim than for the "leadership" of Churchill.

Bill and I will be in Zion, we hope, in May this year, and hope we get a chance to see your car, if you're willing, about which we heard last time we were there (in Springdale) in 2011.

Best wishes

MalibuRoam

Stephen Masefield
356 Fan

#7 Post by Stephen Masefield »

Would be delighted to see you, many tools and no doubt not the one you need ;-)
We have a great guest house which you and anyone from the Registry is welcome to use if they are passing by in 356. We look right at Zion just up the road...
Steve
'57 Coupe
'61 Sunroof Coupe
'79 911SC Targa (Stupidly sold)
'23 Subaru BRZ (poor mans Porsche)
Ford Diesel to haul 'stuff'

C J Murray
356 Fan

#8 Post by C J Murray »

While Stephen and Rosemary(sure!) sip cocktails on their patios overlooking Zion and Malibu there are people burdened with the job of protecting their right to do so. Unlike the pathetic system of competition taught in our schools where everybody is a winner and everybody gets a participation award, in war you don't want to finish second. Thank God we have men like Winston Churchill that are willing to win at all cost. Enjoy your cocktails.

Here is something that Winston Churchill wrote in 1899. At a very early age he had already experienced how evil some people can be and I'm glad he knew how to deal with evil. We should all be thankful. Enjoy your cocktail.
HERE IS THE SPEECH:
"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy,
which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy.
The effects are apparent in many countries, improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture,
sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the
Prophet rule or live. A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement,
the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to
some man as his absolute property, either as a child, a wife, or a concubine, must delay the final extinction
of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men. Individual Muslims may
show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it.
No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant
and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step;
and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had
vainly struggled, the civilization of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilization of ancient Rome."

Sir Winston Churchill; (Source: The River War, first edition, Vol II, pages 248-250 London).
Churchill saw it coming.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

George Walling
356 Fan

#9 Post by George Walling »

CJ thanks for posting the Churchill Speech. All of us in this country and around the free world should take heed to his speech. My father always said that to win a fight one has to take the gloves off and fight fire with fire. Thank goodness we had a big pond around are country or we could be in bigger trouble than we are now but lets not ever quit the fight for freedom for are home land and the rest of the free world. Spending 26 yrs in the military I do not take war lightly but like the old say Freedom Isn't Free.
George E Walling

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#10 Post by Greg Bryan »

I am a great lover of history and discussions of religion and politics, and there are Internet forums on every concievable subject where one can discuss until blue in the face.
The 356 Talk Forums, however,, is not one of those sites, even in the off-topic forum.
Content must have at least a tenuous connection to automotive subjects and our hobby
Thread locked
Greg Bryan