When receiving a car that's been shipped, do you tip?

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
David Maxwell
356 Fan

When receiving a car that's been shipped, do you tip?

#1 Post by David Maxwell »

My 356 will arrive in a few days, and I was wondering if I should tip the delivery guy? If so, how much?

Peter Silten
356 Fan

Re: When receiving a car that's been shipped, do you tip?

#2 Post by Peter Silten »

I did. I gave the driver a $50.

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#3 Post by Tom Tate »

Absolutely, be sure to pass that to him before the car is unloaded so extra care will be used in the process. Nobody tips these guys, you'll be a hero. You tipped the waitress at dinner, right? This is certainly more important than last nights meal! 10% is a good number, do the math! That way every time he moves a 356 he'll take extra care with the load! Benefits all of us !

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

Yep. Last time I gave him a 50 at each end.

neil blaber
356 Fan

#5 Post by neil blaber »

i don't see how tipping the delivery guy will benefit other 356 owners!

I'm pretty sure it was loaded on to the truck without the thought he may get a tip! as its been said 'nobody tips these guys'

i think the reason others have tipped the driver is due to how they felt at the time. just like tipping a waitress, I'm sure it comes down to how she 'waited' on you at the time!

if it feels right at the time do it, or a selection of brewed beverages may well be greatly received just as much.

choice is yours!
instagram - neilblaber

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

I deal with a lot of truckers, some very nice and respectful to the cars and professional in their jobs, most not. The long haul non-op auto transporter industry does not really attract the top shelf and it shows when they move your cars.
You might want to read some horror stories here:
<http://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/2012 ... -porsches/>
http://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/2012 ... -porsches/

Or here:
<http://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/2009 ... transport/>
http://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/2009 ... transport/

Most times they show up to pick up a car and Big John and me have to load the car ourselves because these guys are either too stupid to load it without damaging it or they don't have a winch. Why you would agree to pick up a non-op car when you don't have a winch I don't know, God knows how they load them when guys like us aren't there to help. Oh wait, I have pictures of those nightmares too, see the above link.

So I guess if one of these guy's goes above and beyond to help you, you might want to tip, but only if one of these guy's goes way beyond the call of duty, which I would be willing to bet would be not likely to happen.

My favorite pick up of all time, this guy didn't want to guy with my shipping broker, he saved $100 and found someone on U-Ship. A guy showed up with a converted motor home, push the 356 in back and then loaded furniture on top of it, he had double booked the load going west you see, a real nightmare!
Attachments
ushipn.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

"I'm sure it comes down to how she waited on you...."

Never. She gets her 20% just for helping me. It's part of her income, I'm not her HR boss. If a tip is a stretch, go to Mac Donalds.

Most of us don't sell 356s for a living. We expect careful handling on the rare occasion we ship one and don't cheap out by hiring someone moving sofas. There's no economy of scale, so no real savings. $100 is only 5%. "Above and beyond" is not so unusual. A tip up front ensures the guy remembers you and your car.