Old motor oil

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Frank Leonetti
356 Fan

Old motor oil

#1 Post by Frank Leonetti »

I have some old motor oil. Many quarts of Valvoline HD 30, SC, SD and SE type. This was the recommended viscosity for early 356's and I used Castrol HD 30 many years ago in my first Porsche.
Also have many quarts of Castrol GTX 20w-50, SH,SG/CD, CC. 20w-50 seems to be commonly used now in our 356 engines. I wouldn't use the 30 weight oil now except in my lawnmower. Zinc or ZDDP levels were much higher in these oils and was apparently lowered after the SJ designation for oils after 2001.
The Castrol 20w-50 SH/SG was used from 1993-96 and 88-93. Could this oil be used now in a 356 engine? Or would a new oil with proper ZDDP levels be best since a new Brad Penn or some such oil would also have better additives? Probably, but would using this old oil be harmful? I don't think I'd use it but just curious . Maybe someone has used an old oil and could comment.
I also read somewhere that old oil shouldn't be used because it has a "shelf life." It obviously should never be used in newer engines.
This oil was stored for many years in a cool, dark basement if it makes any difference. Thanks for any comments or insights.
And I know oil is cheap when it comes to protecting an engine so it's not about saving money.
FALeonetti

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Old motor oil

#2 Post by C J Murray »

Throw it out.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Frank; nobody is going to see this post of yours under this topic. Suggest you move it to Main Discussion.

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#4 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

This reminds me of the said expiration dates and labels on products that the manufactures need us to purchase more of the same. Marketing, it does the economy good. I would gladly pay to have your out of date new oil sent to my place. If it pours it scores in my book. Oil is not the same as gasoline that is allowed to stand too long.

I keep my small engine fuels stable by adding two stroke motor oil to my fuel storage container. (Yep, all flammables are now stored in a purpose built shelter out back of the garage.) All two stroke oil fuel additives are great fuel preservatives. I have also been purchasing Aviation fuel for all my home equipment that requires storage. Now when I'm feeling particularly industrious, bringing in the fire wood for the stove that keeps our home warm most winters, I get that race day smell from my engines and the memories that go along with that special blend of hydrocarbons on race day.

Drop me a personal note if your engine oil requires a new home.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#5 Post by C J Murray »

shelf life...

http://www.mobilindustrial.com/ind/engl ... ations.pdf

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Rea ... orage-life

http://www.chevronmarineproducts.com/do ... torage.pdf

Like I said, throw it out.

Did you know that you should shake your brand new oil before pouring because additives can fall to the bottom of the bottle and a disproportionate percentage of the additive may not make it into your engine?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#6 Post by Tom Tate »

Good advice Cliff, I didn't know that this info was available. Is this a great List or what?