Hollywood Hills Theft Alert

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Phil Planck
356 Fan

#1 Post by Phil Planck »

Posted on the 912 Registry forum on 12/22/2014
Sorry if this has already been posted here.

Yesterday in Nichols Canyon, the owners of a classic '61 convertible Porsche discovered that the car had been stolen from their closed and locked garage. The Porsche is a silver convertible with a black interior.
The car theft has been reported to the police, who informed the owners that there is a white truck with towing capabilities going around the Hollywood Hills stealing Porsches. This white truck has a towing mechanism on its rear and has been caught on a video, but the license plate was not seen on the video. The police said that there have been about 8 Porsches stolen this last week or so, and the activity is in the Hollywood Hills.
1 - If you have a Porsche (any year), be extra diligent.
2 - If you see a white truck with towing capabilities in the neighborhood, please observe, take down the license plate and call the Hollywood Police station at 213/485-4328.
3 - If you live on or near La Castana and have a video surveillance system, please look at yesterday's video if possible to see if you filmed the white truck in question and if so report it to the safety task force and/or the police.
Thanks for your vigilance, and let's all keep an eye our for each other so that we can keep any further thefts or burglaries from occurring over the holidays.
Forwarded from the Safety Committee of UNCNA

oste
Phil Planck

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

Re: Hollywood Hills Theft Alert

#2 Post by Jay Wiener »

This is absolutely horrific and way too common. I follow the fellow 993 boards as well and this is way too common of an occurrence. I work in Hollywood and love driving my 58 to work. I'm always watching for suspicious activities. These people need to be tortured and killed

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

Jay Wiener wrote:These people need to be tortured and killed
You work in Hollywood? Do your co-workers know that you have these thoughts? :P PS- I agree!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron LaDow »

One thing that would help is an explanation of "white truck with towing capabilities". Is that a tow truck? A
van with a trailer hitch? I wouldn't know what to look for.
And you guys are entirely out of line! Capital punishment for car theft?! No indeed!
A vegan diet, a blanket 6" too short, and shoes two sizes too small for the rest of his or her life!
Oh, and Mahler! 24/7/365 Mahler! At 9 on a ten-scale.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

Ron-
My guess would be that it is one of those "repo" style trucks, that have the remote pickup stuff that comes out of the back, but is concealed when you are just driving around.
Attachments
rrrpppp.JPG
rrrpppp.JPG (23.6 KiB) Viewed 4576 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

Ron,that auditory torture is too much, more humane to just go back to the capital punishment.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#7 Post by Peter Silten »

Maybe they will all appear on an episode of Overhaulin'.

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jim Neil »

Jokes aside, I hope they string these bastards up. I grew up on Nichols Canyon Road and know the area well, lived there when I almost, almost bought a '61 cab from a friend (ended up waiting 40 years to get my first 356). For most of us, our cars are much more than just another "thing", sad to hear. Will cross post this to another Porsche forum.
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ron LaDow »

Adam: "Ron-My guess would be that it is one of those "repo" style trucks, that have the remote pickup stuff that comes out of the back, but is concealed when you are just driving around."
Could well be, but those who supposedly wish to find those who are committing the crimes can't seem find the time to identify it as such. Don't you find that a bit aggravating? I mean, we're paying these guys to do something!

Martin: "Ron,that auditory torture is too much, more humane to just go back to the capital punishment."
I didn't intend it to be more humane than capital punishment, just reversible if there was a mistake.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#10 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Phil, Can you post a link to the video of the truck?
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

ryan base
356 Fan

#11 Post by ryan base »

this report feeds my paranoia. does anybody use lojack or other security systems? having my car out of the locked garage makes me feel like i threw down my bike in front of the 7-11

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#12 Post by Phil Planck »

Mark

I know nothing of the video. I just posted the text from the 912 forum to alert those who live in that area.
Phil Planck

C J Murray
356 Fan

#13 Post by C J Murray »

I just heard on tv that CA car theft is up 20% since the state reduced the crime to a misdemeanor. This was done to save money by not placing the criminals into jails when they are arrested and until they are tried. I believe they said that when convicted they also don't spend time in jail like they did when car theft was a felony. I don't think Sacramento cares about your car.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#14 Post by Ron LaDow »

C J Murray wrote:...I don't think Sacramento cares about your car.
Somebody does. I get regular offers of several hundred bucks if I scarp my old cars.
Wool-gathering yesterday (got a cold), I wondered how often Jay Leno finds those in his mailbox.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

C J Murray
356 Fan

#15 Post by C J Murray »

How do you scarp an old car?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner