Hollywood Hills Theft Alert

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Hollywood Hills Theft Alert

#16 Post by Mike Wilson »

Responding to Ryan's question about LoJack. I know a guy that has has LoJack installed on his two 356's. They are both 6 Volt but LoJack has a hidden battery that powers the system. They hide it in the car and no one except the tech, including the owner, is present when it is installed. The system comes with a remote device that alerts you if the car is moved.

Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#17 Post by Mike Wilson »

"Scarp" def: to put a dried out (stiff) carp in the car unbeknownst to the owner. First seen in the movie Grumpy Old Men when they played the same trick on each other resulting in an odiferous emination.

Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#18 Post by Ron LaDow »

Jeeze, Mike, you gave it away!
I was gonna get a beer outa Cliff for explaining it...
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#19 Post by Mike Wilson »

Hit him up for the beer anyway. Tell him it's my proxy pay-off! Ha!

Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#20 Post by Steve Proctor »

Really??? Car theft in California is now a friggin' misdemeanor??? Talk about head up and locked!!! Bet the interstates are clogged with empty car haulers heading west. Open the floodgates!!

I just looked and it is not April 1st...
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

ryan base
356 Fan

#21 Post by ryan base »

thanks mike i'm going to check it out

C J Murray
356 Fan

#22 Post by C J Murray »

I did further research and the subject is fairly complicated and definitely subject to the political leanings of the person writing the explanation. I gather that the Holder Justice Department put pressure on all states to reduce the jail population. Leading up to this many crimes had been on a decline but when the states emptied the jails the crime rates began to rise. I can safely suggest that social justice and state budget shortfalls are the motivation but each has to decide for themselves how they feel on the subject.

http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/report/R_1213MLR.pdf
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#23 Post by Dan Epperly »

C J Murray wrote:I did further research and the subject is fairly complicated and definitely subject to the political leanings of the person writing the explanation. I gather that the Holder Justice Department put pressure on all states to reduce the jail population. Leading up to this many crimes had been on a decline but when the states emptied the jails the crime rates began to rise. I can safely suggest that social justice and state budget shortfalls are the motivation but each has to decide for themselves how they feel on the subject.

http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/report/R_1213MLR.pdf
Naw, its due to lawsuits filed in the courts over prison overcrowding and rights violations. The state has been under federal court decision for years to either reduce prison population or build more prisons to alleviate the situation. They tried farming the bums off to the county jails but those are bursting at the seams, too, so the state is early releasing non violent perps to obey the court order, has nothing to do with Holder.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#24 Post by C J Murray »

I'm no expert but the study says the Feds mandated the change. It's at the very beginning of the study, not editorial, study.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#25 Post by Dan Epperly »

C J Murray wrote:I'm no expert but the study says the Feds mandated the change. It's at the very beginning of the study, not editorial, study.
Holder can only refuse to prosecute Federal offenders, can't impact states unless through the courts.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#26 Post by C J Murray »

This is what was written in the study. The Justice Department is who represents the Federal Government in legal matters. The Justice Department litigates, or not, based on the desires of the Attorney General and his boss. Apparently the Feds sued the states and forced them to let the rats out of jail.
The 2011 legislation commonly referred to as corrections realignment (or AB 109) substantially reduced the popu- lation of California’s overcrowded and expensive prison system. Realignment was put in motion by a federal court order to reduce the state’s prison population; this order had been challenged by the state but was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#27 Post by David Jones »

I would make a comment on the thread but I think then I would be in violation of the rules governing the forum so I will restrict my comments to say it is a beautiful day in Kentucky to drive my legally owned 356 on a lightly travelled twisting road but I won't because there is still salt on them so I will go drive the Boxster instead.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

C J Murray
356 Fan

#28 Post by C J Murray »

David, got plenty of salt in PA too, but I ain't complaining because I don't live in Boston. :D Good luck to Tom Tate and Jeff Leeds!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#29 Post by Brian R Adams »

C J Murray wrote:How do you scarp an old car?
"Scarp" is abbreviation of "scarper" which I'm sure you're familiar with.

Brian
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#30 Post by Jon Schmid »

C J Murray wrote:David, got plenty of salt in PA too, but I ain't complaining because I don't live in Boston. :D Good luck to Tom Tate and Jeff Leeds!
And the irony is in the Hollywood Hills and elsewhere here in the LA area, it was pushing 90 degrees today. Maybe over 90 in some places. Nice day to take the Roadster for a drive. Not I have to lock it up. :x