Mercedes w108 280SE any one know of one being broken up?

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Mark Collins
356 Fan

Mercedes w108 280SE any one know of one being broken up?

#1 Post by Mark Collins »

Hi guys a part from my Porsche I also have a love for Mercedes cars.. esp the W108.. saloon being as it's a great family classic car..

but I have abit of an issue with the car :-(

My ignition module has packed up by the looks of it.. and I can't get hold of one..

would any one know of one local being broke up.. or know of a wreckers yard close to them. Esp old school one..

it's a 1970 W108 280SE 6 Cylinder model.. US spec as I had this car as my car in SF Ca

here is what it looks like

any info or help would be great thanks I am told it also fits w109 W114 W113 and W115

with out it my old girl is stuck on the driveway and I can't move her 3 weeks now :?

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

Re: Mercedes w108 280SE any one know of one being broken up?

#2 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

Mark, Permatune makes a plug-in module for that model & vintage. The points & coil remain in place, the condensor is deleted.

<http://permatune.com/P-Mercedes.html>

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Mark
you can convert your distributor to Pertronix the Permatune is a CDI and much more costly. Also you can get this unit rebuilt
Attachments
000545413288.jpg

Mark Collins
356 Fan

#4 Post by Mark Collins »

oh wow thanks guys..

Ok I have to confess I know 10% of electrics but give me some metal and a hammer and I can make anything..

so you got me there, so in basic terms I can delete alot of what is currently in there and run it direct with a pertronics?

or do I still need to have the module in place? if so that modern one looks the perfect solution I can make it look old by cutting up the old case and put it around it..

can I ask where do I get that unit you showed a picture of ? I have a very nice friend looking though some wreckers yards up his way for me and already he's found one car a 72 and guess what !!! it's had the module taken already.. so he's learning about sort after parts on Mercs as well :-)

dam things LOL :wink:

Mark Collins
356 Fan

#5 Post by Mark Collins »

Right scrub all that..

I should have looked before..

I have found one in the UK for £200 ! Ekk there goes my 356 fund for a bit :-/

I have also found one in Germany for abit less..

So either way it's going to be one of these.. I also have a contact up in the north who said to call back Monday so he can 100% make sure he's got one. I hope he will be a bit cheaper for me. Now I have looked into all this Its clear the after market ones are more expensive than spare ones! I wouldn't mind it's not complicated electronics

anyway that all said and done I think it's time to fix the car and wave the Mercedes on her way next year. I've done all the hard work on her.. She's the best she's been in years but I think it's time to move onto some thing else

so if you have a chevy nova or a Mustang 65-66 for sale in the not too far off future April / May then I could be your man.. I fancy a change and some thing a bit more simple.. basic V8

Mark Collins
356 Fan

#6 Post by Mark Collins »

UPDATE

Well I called a small time parts Dealer Dave Collins ( Great name sake ) in the North of England and he has ONE left!

So I grabbed that and lets hope this is the problem. Fingers and toes crossed as this has cost me £145 on a punt it's the problem ouch.. but better price than the ebay grabbers £245 !! now that would have hurt.. :(

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/user/ccts2267/

Shout out for Dave as he's a small time operation and very focused on helping out. :-)

By the way this was a great item some one wrote up in case any one else on here is a Mercedes Owner too..

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/TransistorIgnition