Converting the Mag into Text and Tagging them?

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

Converting the Mag into Text and Tagging them?

#1 Post by Neil Bardsley »

It strikes me that there are a lot of interesting articles in the 356 mags. They are now online (in pdf format?) but to find the information you have to know it exists and where to look? Unfortunately a bit like the technical section on this site.

It seems to me these could be converted into text and articles tagged so that we can have links for each article? Here is a site, http://www.onlineocr.net/, which converts pdf files to word documents then I think you can move to html?

I could see this making the mags a much more powerful resource? That might stop numpties, like me, asking the same questions again, and again.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Converting the Mag into Text and Tagging them?

#2 Post by James Davies »

The PDFs available on the site have been OCRed and are text searchable via Google or via your favorite PDF viewer. It is easy in Google. In your Google search box, type the following:

site:porsche356registry.org/system/magazines "richard miller"

To find all the articles that Richard Miller wrote. It will link to the full PDF. You'll then have to do a subsequent search within the PDF to find what you are looking for. You can put anything you want within the quotations. Here's some guidance of what works.

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2466433

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#3 Post by James Davies »

Also, if you have the old CD-ROM of old issues or have downloaded old PDF issues locally to your computer, most OSes today index the text in OCRed PDFs, so you can just search your computer for those terms. On Mac, a Spotlight search brings up the various PDFs "Richard Miller" is mentioned in, and when you hit enter, it shows the PDF in Preview (the PDF reader) with the search term already highlighted; pressing enter again finds it immediately within the document. Pretty slick!

I don't know if Windows is this slick, but I'm sure it's similar. Hope this helps!

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Neil Bardsley »

thank you.