Dates in Classified ads

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
joe marano
356 Fan

Dates in Classified ads

#1 Post by joe marano »

It seems that the dates in the classified ads section are all over the place ? Is this normal or could there be something wrong with my iPad.

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

Re: Dates in Classified ads

#2 Post by Spencer Harris »

Click on the blue "Date" header on the classified page.
Showing 1-10 of 764 results.
User Type Category Price Location Date
This flips the listing to old ads first.
Click on the blue "Date" header a second time to flip back to new ads first. This will sort them out and when you go to next page they're in order, newest listings first.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

joe marano
356 Fan

#3 Post by joe marano »

Thanks for the quick fix ! Is this problem just with my computer or with the new system ? Is there anything that I can do on my part so that the classifieds automatically appear with the most recent listed first ?

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#4 Post by Spencer Harris »

Only way I know to fix the problem is as I described. I guess it's the new system as I have to go through the same routine on both my home & office computers.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#5 Post by Curt Dansby »

Hi Joe

Ads are listed as they are entered to keep things fair and let new posts get top exposure. This is why we have a no bumping policy meaning you cannot delete and relist the same ad to get higher presence on the board. This is skewed a little by the 2 month run time on ads. Posters have the option of renewing an ad that is about to expire and it then moves to the top of the list even though it has been listed for 2 or more months previously.

Curt

joe marano
356 Fan

#6 Post by joe marano »

Curt, I understand and agree that the most recent ad listed should appear first when we open the classified site. The second and third ...most recent should appear in the same order. If an ad was relisted then it should reappear in the new date order when it was relisted. The problem I encountered with the classified section was that the dates were all over the place and it was not until I was advised to double click the date column would they follow some rational sequence. I thought this would have been a normal programmed sequence for the classified section. However, if we must double click the date column to observe some order then so be it. Thanks again for your follow explanation.

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#7 Post by Curt Dansby »

Hi Joe

It is the skew I mentioned; where the renewed ads intersperse with new ads. The renewed ads still show their original post date which allows you to see that it has been on the board for awhile even though it may be at or near the top of the list. You can gloss over those with older dates or as Spencer showed make the date section "true" chronologically.

C

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#8 Post by Spencer Harris »

Thanks for the explanation Curt; that makes perfect sense (and I thought I was so smart)! I'll continue to force the re-sort as I've probably already looked at the older, renewed ads. However, now that I know why this happens I won't be worrying that someone may have fixed it and I'm wasting my two clicks re-sorting :wink:
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.