Info on travel in England from the Brits on the board

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

Re: Info on travel in England from the Brits on the board

#16 Post by Matthew Devereux »

I'm envious. I'd like to spend a summer touring around the UK. My wife and I stopped over in London for 4 days to visit family last year. It was easy getting around. We were heading to Rome and on to a Mediterranean cruise. I was born in south London but hadn't been back since '76 when I was a kid.
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#17 Post by Brian R Adams »

Gary Carriveau wrote:Possibly not gone yet.
Check out:
http://www.raileurope.com/rail-tickets- ... s-list/#11
A 2-month "Global" pass, unlimited travel, in most of continental Europe and Ireland (*) for an adult is $1770 (USD.)

Like the old EuRail Pass, not available for residents of EU, so these are strictly for foreign tourists.

Brian

* Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland (includes Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland), Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey.
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#18 Post by Craig Richter »

The trains have gotten really expensive in Europe, although we do still use them occasionally because parking is so limited in some of the towns. They are handy and still sort of fun. They are the kid's school buses in the winter time. The first time I ever came to Europe was 1987. I brought my two sons, because their mother was working on a movie production in Paris. We stayed all summer traveling around with backpacks, and our total 3 EuroRail passes was (as I recall) less than $1,000, paid in California. Fun times.

John Ward
356 Fan

#19 Post by John Ward »

We had a euro-rail pass skiing in Swizerland in the early 2000`s. It even covered the cog (sp?) train that took us up to Leysin...awesome
Nothing like taking the train to go skiing in the Alps.

Craig, looking forward to seeing you in Lake Arrowhead !

John Ward
356 Fan

#20 Post by John Ward »

Sorry Ron,
Kinda got off topic

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#21 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

Driving on back roads in Scotland, you might pass a small whitewashed building with an equally small sign saying "Dewars" or something. These are single-malt breweries whose output is used in the commercial blends. Stop in.

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#22 Post by Richard Shilling »

If you've never driven on the Right before I'd recommend renting a car and driver, taking a bus, etc. It takes a while to get used to it and in the meantime, your tendency when you get confused is to pull over to the side of the road you're used to - which is the "wrong" side.

Have a great time!
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

neil blaber
356 Fan

#23 Post by neil blaber »

i will add, if you do have time for a week on a narrowboat on the canals, pretty much anywhere in the country (i did own a 57ft one) its the best way to see the country! plus there usually a pub every couple of miles!...
instagram - neilblaber

Tom Kayser
356 Fan

#24 Post by Tom Kayser »

When my wife & I traveled from Stratford-upon-Avon to Lands End, a friend gave me some advice: for the round-abouts, If you are about to enter and the oncoming cars will hit your car on the drivers side STOP! But if the car is going to hit on your wife's side "keep going!"

My wife never liked that story, or the humor, but I can't help myself, but those that know me .....well ?

Tom Kayser

Dennis ODonnell
356 Fan

#25 Post by Dennis ODonnell »

"...never liked that story, or the humor...."

Driving back to school through the forest late one night I pulled to the left when I saw headlights. We both came to screeching halts & got out. I started to apologize for my stupidity but the other driver cut me off with, "Oh. You're a Yank." Got back in his car and drove off.

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#26 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Ron if you are in London let me buy you and the Mrs a drink! If you let me know when you get into King Cross (I think this is the station for that train) I should even be able to help you get to your hotel (I work 5 mins from there and can bring my car in). That is if your luggage, and 3 people, will fit inside a 912! The black cab will almost cost you as much as the train ticket.