intermechanica

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Larry Coreth
356 Fan

Re: intermechanica

#16 Post by Larry Coreth »

David,

if you like the Intermeccanica w/Subaru motor, no doubt an interesting combination and certainly thoroughly modern, this begs the question why not buy a modern car where for $75K one could get more bang for the buck, i.e. new/newer Porsche. If on the other hand you just must have the looks of a356 but also must have your modern creature comforts, well it is your money and Intermeccanica will gladly fix you up !
I and most 356 enthusiasts I know, love the looks and the characteristics of the 356 which by definition means all of their idiosyncrasies too, i.e. no A/C, marginal heater, etc.
Larry Coreth
Roanoake Rapids, NC

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#17 Post by Adam Wright »

I think this argument comes down to both sides looking at the other and saying, "You don't get it."
It's like the new house thing, or de-caf coffee, or phone sex, or any number of things you are either into or you aren't.
And no, I'm not into any of the above, including plastic 356's, but can appreciate that some people are and can even see their view, even if I don't agree.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mark Flaten
356 Fan

#18 Post by Mark Flaten »

What really is an original car? Having numbers matching, the original engine, a chassis with an original number? How it came from the factory with no repro parts, not repainted, no upgrades, not restored better than the factory made the car originally? If you have a replacement engine is it no longer a real 356? I would venture to say that most do not have an original car if this is the criteria.
Last edited by Mark Flaten on Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#19 Post by Emil Wojcik »

When something is being passed off as something it isn't, that's a problem, whether talking about a Porsche, Rolex, whatever.

Once you put Porsche badges on an Intermeccanica or any other copy there's an intent to deceive, and that's the problem. It has nothing to do with whether the car's well built, drives better, is fun, etc. If the car was originally built at Porsche, it's a Porsche even if parts have been replaced, just as if it was originally built at Intermeccanica, it's an Intermeccanica even if parts are replaced. Have you ever seen anyone put Intermeccanica badges on a real 356? No, of course not, it's not an Intermeccanica. Either you're content with the car you purchased or you aren't. If you are, you would proudly display its makers badge regardless of the maker.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

C J Murray
356 Fan

#20 Post by C J Murray »

I bet Mark owns a VW with a MG TD body too. Maybe he aspires to own a Datsun 240Z with a Ferrari GTO body? That's just like the $35 million real GTO, right? Imagine the fun he could have posting about his "GTO" on the Ferrari forums. Why do replica owners think that devotes of the original car care about their replicas? Perhaps they are arrogant non-purists.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#21 Post by Greg Bryan »

Wow - this thread lay in its grave for three months and got resurrected from a well-deserved death.
And may it return to whence it came ...
Greg Bryan

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#22 Post by Jon Schmid »

C J Murray wrote:I bet Mark owns a VW with a MG TD body too. Maybe he aspires to own a Datsun 240Z with a Ferrari GTO body? That's just like the $35 million real GTO, right? Imagine the fun he could have posting about his "GTO" on the Ferrari forums. Why do replica owners think that devotes of the original car care about their replicas? Perhaps they are arrogant non-purists.
A heck of a way to greet a new member to the forum. And we wonder why membership is dwindling?

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#23 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Jon Schmid wrote:
C J Murray wrote:I bet Mark owns a VW with a MG TD body too. Maybe he aspires to own a Datsun 240Z with a Ferrari GTO body? That's just like the $35 million real GTO, right? Imagine the fun he could have posting about his "GTO" on the Ferrari forums. Why do replica owners think that devotes of the original car care about their replicas? Perhaps they are arrogant non-purists.
A heck of a way to greet a new member to the forum. And we wonder why membership is dwindling?
Jon,

Just like you I'd rather "keep the peace" too, but Marks first post was a bit biting with the last sentence being: "For those who admire a 356 and buys a faithfully reproduced Intermeccanica they should not be lambasted by arrogant "purists" "

I guess if he's going to call out fellow members who gave their opinion previously in the thread, he should be able to handle Cliff's "welcome" to the forum :wink:

Oh, and Mark, welcome to the forum!!
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#24 Post by Jon Schmid »

Sebastian Gaeta wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:
Jon,

Just like you I'd rather "keep the peace" too, but Marks first post was a bit biting with the last sentence being: "For those who admire a 356 and buys a faithfully reproduced Intermeccanica they should not be lambasted by arrogant "purists" "

I guess if he's going to call out fellow members who gave their opinion previously in the thread, he should be able to handle Cliff's "welcome" to the forum :wink:

Oh, and Mark, welcome to the forum!!
Hi Sebastian,
OK, I'll take your point given that comment. I just wish people could just be "enthusiasts" rather than antagonize over "genuine" versus "replica" but I guess with the money involved now it can't be avoided.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#25 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Jon Schmid wrote:I just wish people could just be "enthusiasts" rather than antagonize over "genuine" versus "replica" but I guess with the money involved now it can't be avoided.
Could not agree more. Replicas do not bother me in the least but they do others so what are you gonna do? It's a never ending argument, much like politics and religion so perhaps Greg Bryan is right in just letting this one go back to the next page.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#26 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Mark, welcome to the forum. It's not always this tough; usually lollipops and rainbows.
Or at least good advice; most of the time, sort of.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#27 Post by C J Murray »

Vic Skirmants wrote:Mark, welcome to the forum. It's not always this tough; usually lollipops and rainbows.
Or at least good advice; most of the time, sort of.
Vic, I saw your "Mutt" so I know that your definition of what is a 356 is "liberal". :P
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#28 Post by Vic Skirmants »

"liberal", huh?
Them's fightin' words!

Mark Flaten
356 Fan

#29 Post by Mark Flaten »

Thanks for the welcome to the forum as a new member.

My only point is saying; some will admire a certain body style but do not want the idiosyncrasies of the old car. Others want the actual driving experience of the old car. One is no better than the other except in the mind of the one with that position. If I have a VIN number but little else does that put me on a higher plain because I have an actual VIN. Many people like mid 50's Chevy but don't like the way the original car drove so they made them into resto mods. I have owned several W113 Mercedes (1963-1971 230SL, 250SL 280SL) and other classic cars. One of these MB cars was a US delivered car with US accoutrements but I really liked the way it was originally designed in Europe so when it was restored it was restored as a Euro car. This car went through a 4 year nut and bolt restoration. It was recently sold, not because I was looking to sell the car but because I was offered a great price. It was one of the highest private sales of that car in the country. The person that bought the car had sold a year before part of his collection consisting of "real" Ferrari Daytona Spyder, AC Cobra and a MB 300SL roadster. This guy bought my car because it was exactly what he was looking for. Was the car real?

I would suggest we appreciate those who admire the styling genius of the 356 and be gracious that some have the real deal and others knock offs. What I do not support is trying to fool someone who asks "is that a real 356?" and saying "yes".

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#30 Post by Adam Wright »

Mark,
I think a few people were taken a back from your comment about purists. It's kind of like walking into a Country bar and ask them why they are only playing Country music, why can't we have some Rock-a-Billy, it's similar.
I think most have said they respect the Intermeccanica as an engineering piece, it is BY FAR the best anyone has every done with a tribute car to the 356, but in the end it isn't a Porsche, so expecting all Porsche guys to accept it as an equal will be hard, for no other reason that it isn't 50 years old.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.