intermechanica

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

Re: intermechanica

#31 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Mark Flaten wrote:... One of these MB cars was a US delivered car with US accoutrements but I really liked the way it was originally designed in Europe so when it was restored it was restored as a Euro car. This car went through a 4 year nut and bolt restoration. It was recently sold, not because I was looking to sell the car but because I was offered a great price. It was one of the highest private sales of that car in the country. .... Was the car real?
No one would question that this MB is a real MB. It left the Mercedes factory as a real MB and will continue to be a real MB no matter what modifications are done to it. But if you want to make your analogy relevant to this discussion, you need to add a little more to the story:

Suppose after completing your resto/mod on this Mercedes you removed the MB badges and added the badges of a Rolls Royce. At that point your car is simply a lie--still a Mercedes but pretending to something else, even if it would be obvious to the rest of the world that the car isn't a Rolls. There is nothing wrong with an Intermeccanica as long as you are not trying to pass it off as something else. Intermeccanica supplies its factory-built cars with Intermeccanica badges, as it should. They are proud of their creation. But it certainly seems that the buyers of these cars don't appreciate what they have--most of them have replaced the Intermaccania badges with Porsche badges and script. The goal is to deceive. Even if they will tell someone who asks that it's a replica, when no one asks, they are displaying it as real.

Also remember, whether you agree with the law or not, it is against copyright laws to badge the car as the real thing. As an example of how serious copyright law is taken, Rolex took a private individual to court for selling two fake Rolexes at a flee market for $20 each. The seller sold them as fakes so there was no intent to deceive on the sellers part. The court still found in favor of Rolex, finding the need to protect Rolexes copyright.

I've had conversations with replica owners. Some have avoided answering "real or not", others have come right out and said "replica", others said "real" and one--only one--displayed Intermeccanica badges and was overjoyed with talking all about it. It was a great car and he was proud of it.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#32 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

If I owned an Intermechanica, its mechanicals and other features would be Porsche, at least as many a possible. The engine would be from a 911 as would the transaxle. The badge would say Intermechanica Powered by Porsche. It would be like a Mooney aircraft which once used Porsche engines. I would be as pleased with it as with our 911, 356, Cayenne, GTI and Expedition.

Pretenders are what they are. Its about the pretenders that we speak with dismay as we would speak of all pretenders, except Gered who was more of a chameleon as The Pretender.

Before beginning my 356 project I investigated the Intermechanica solution, went to the factory, experienced the feel of the final product on the roads around Vancouver, and dreamed the dream. When I evaluated the options, I decided to bring back a 356 from its long rest, although the investment would have been very close in numbers. My logic, I preferred to resurrect a Porsche for the pleasure of learning from the adventure. If I was well healed, I'd also have Intermechanica build my dream on their D-chassis configuration. No doubt it would not have taken as long to realize my dreams behind the wheel of an Intermechanica. Purchased the 356 project in '04, still at it.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#33 Post by Martin Benade »

I am not sure where I fit in here, my "real" 356 is a collection of actual correct parts from lots of other 356s, and my daily driver is a Lexus that I re-badged as a Toyota.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

ryan base
356 Fan

#34 Post by ryan base »

how about if intermechanica built a 68 type 3 fastback. everybody would say yeah that's pretty smart. not a real vw but still pretty cool. the car is the same basic layout as 356 only more "plebian". perhaps they believe the porsche is the better vehicle to showcase their technology because of it's exclucivity. i'd be more inclined to purchase the type 3, and then i ask myself, because?? because the utilitarian value isn't overwelmed by pretentionness of the fakey 356.

Dr. Robert J. Carley
356 Fan

#35 Post by Dr. Robert J. Carley »

I have just joined the forum, mainly because I was interested in the Intermeccanica discussion. Having owned three of these hand made cars, I am having my fourth built by Henry Reisner and his crew in Vancouver.

There will be no Porsche badges on this car for those of you who are interested: it will be an Intermeccanica pure and simple. Based on that, I am having it styled as much as possible so that it will not be mistaken for an original 356. Call it an outlaw approach, if you will. I am having full 911 mechanical components: a 1995 993 3.6 engine; a 915 transaxle; and suspension, brakes, and steering from a 1985 Carrera.

So. Is this a hybrid, a replica, a faux 356? Frankly, labels are only that. I just know that it is going to be a dream to drive, and I hope to enjoy it as much as I can. I love the 356 style, but I want a modern car that can be driven anywhere and almost at any time.

Photos here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/65579473@ ... 830760802/

I hope you can enjoy and appreciate what this car is going to be, and not be upset that it is not a real 356.

Cheers to all.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#36 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Dr. Robert J. Carley wrote: ...I hope you can enjoy and appreciate what this car is going to be, and not be upset that it is not a real 356.

Cheers to all.
It's very easy to appreciate a car like yours for what it's going to be since you're plan is to keep the Intermeccanica badges, thus not intending to pass it off as something it's not. And that's what this is all about--not trying to pass it off as a Porsche as most replica owners I've met have done.

Most of us are car guys. And that means we can appreciate all cars for what they are. Personally, I wouldn't mind having your Intermeccanica when it's done. I'm sure others here would too. It sounds like it's going to be a great car. Have fun with it!

EDIT: And welcome to the forum!
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Dr. Robert J. Carley
356 Fan

#37 Post by Dr. Robert J. Carley »

Thanks, Emil.

It's nice to get a positive response for the first posting.

If I'm correct, I remember you from the MGExperience forums. I was building a Sebring B - dare I say 'replica' - before I decided to can it and go with a new Intermeccanica. Had all the special NOS and OEM parts and everything, and just felt like moving on.

Bob

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#38 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Yes, Bob, I've been regularly visiting the MGE forums for a few years now. Have had my MGB since the mid '80s when it was my only car. Today it looks a bit different than it did back then--nothing wrong with a bit of customizing. 8)

And of course, one with the 356:

Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

ryan base
356 Fan

#39 Post by ryan base »

hello dr bob welcome to the registry. browsing your project i was impressed with the 3.6 wow its going to be fast. the front suspention was a little mysterious and i wonder if it will be the double torsion tube or maybe post 68. perhaps because of tube frame you can abandan vw front end all together. send us more pics as you gets it farther along. thanks for posting, sure promises to be a brute

Dr. Robert J. Carley
356 Fan

#40 Post by Dr. Robert J. Carley »

Ryan

The suspension parts are all from a 1987 Carrera, complete:

Front struts with brakes, etc.
Front arms and all parts
Front cross member, steering rack
Rear arms complete with brakes, etc.
Front and rear anti sway bars.

Transmission is a 915, with Patrick Motorsports adapter flywheel and alloy sport clutch, and WEVO shifter.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#41 Post by Wes Bender »

Great idea and car, Bob. That's going to be a fun ride.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Dr. Robert J. Carley
356 Fan

#42 Post by Dr. Robert J. Carley »

I just thought I would post a shot of my (almost) completed Intermeccanica S6 - 911 based.

I had the chance to drive it out in British Columbia (Intermeccanicas are made in Vancouver, Canada), and it's at the factory/shop now getting some finishing touches. I know it is not an original Porsche Speedster, but it satisfies what I want out of a car - modern mechanicals in an older looking body.
Attachments
Kamloops IM6.png

Dr. Robert J. Carley
356 Fan

#43 Post by Dr. Robert J. Carley »

I've been asked for a couple more shots of the car, so here goes:

IM229.jpg
The car is wearing D90 wheels now, but that may change.
Attachments
IM228.jpg

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#44 Post by Brian R Adams »

Dr. Robert J. Carley wrote:I I know it is not an original Porsche Speedster, but it satisfies what I want out of a car - modern mechanicals in an older looking body.
"Whatever suits you just tickles me plumb to death." ("The Rounders")

Personally, I can't handle the wheels, but the rest looks sweet. Should turn a few heads.
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Dr. Robert J. Carley
356 Fan

#45 Post by Dr. Robert J. Carley »

The wheels were always planned to be a stop gap, until I decided what I really wanted. They had the correct offset and width for the suspension, so we went with them for now.

Personally, I would like a set of wide fives, but of course they won't fit a 911:-)

I might look at some after market Fuch wheels.