Jack Staggs' shop

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Trevor Gates
356 Fan

Re: Jack Staggs' shop

#61 Post by Trevor Gates »

Hi Ashley - You know, I didn't think to put a magnet to the screen to see if it was steel or aluminum, we were too busy checking out all the aluminum body panels with the magnet. My hunch though is that screen is steel. It was a non-factory part added for the full flow oil filter.

The line is for the tach cable.

Edit: To correct answers.
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#62 Post by Trevor Gates »

Caught the tail end of Friday, but glad I made it down. Craig was getting his hands dirty at the shop. Interesting conversation topics included crankshaft undulation, Polo engines, rear torsion bars, emulsion tubes and just the ebb and flow of life. :D
Attachments
IMG_1266.jpg
IMG_1268.jpg
IMG_1267.jpg

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#63 Post by Trevor Gates »

VW Zwitter at the shop for some work.
Attachments
IMG_1123.jpg
IMG_1119.jpg
356 Style gauges
356 Style gauges
912 Engine
912 Engine

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#64 Post by Trevor Gates »

Happy New Year everyone!

Here's some Pre A and "A" ashtray trivia for you and pics to accompany. The ashtray in the "A" dash actually is a Pre A ashtray, as you can see it will fit but doesn't line up with the surround. So, why was the surround changed from the Pre A to the A? Besides, who knows... :D Maybe it was changed to better match the profile of the map light above it? Don't know for sure, but that's the theory Jack and I are sticking with. Another note, Jack's never seen a chrome "A" ashtray, only painted to match the dash. In all of my swapmeet hunting and looking at 356's same goes for me.
Attachments
Pre A ashtray in "A" dash, note: doesn't line up.
Pre A ashtray in "A" dash, note: doesn't line up.
Pre A ashtray in "A" dash, opened up.
Pre A ashtray in "A" dash, opened up.
Pre A ashtray in Pre A dash.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#65 Post by James Davies »

Trevor, thanks so much for posting all those great shots of the red '52 interim bumper car. Lots of great detail there.

Is that the original brake master cylinder and reservoir? Also, notice the rusty front bumper guards. They were steel back in '52 and '53, later aluminum. Did you catch the Reutter chassis plate on this one? I always like to see early original Reutter chassis plates, as the "Reutter Karrosserie" is a bit different that the later ones. Also the Reutter fender badge is beautiful! Vigot jack too. What a great car.

As for ashtrays, yes, the 356A tray housing also has rails in the side, to guide the tray in. And 356A trays were not chromed as you suggest - that's spelled out in the A parts book. Also there were two types of pre-A trays - the ones with the waterfall knob (early '54 and earlier) had wider mounting hole spacing that the later '54/55 ones.

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#66 Post by Trevor Gates »

You're welcome James. I can't say if they're original or not, as it's not my car, I'm just capturing the cool details. Sorry no chassis plate pics, with customer cars I'm very careful not to divulge that info.

If you know the dimensions for the different Pre A knobs please post it, as I'm sure someone at sometime will search for it here on the forum and I'm all about sharing info.

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#67 Post by Trevor Gates »

Ok, for my 356th post I'd like to share the details on an install of a ZF steering box into a 53 coupe that Jack recently did.
Attachments
Both boxes sitting on the bench.
Both boxes sitting on the bench.
Comparison of shaft.  Notice the bolt heads ground down for needed clearance once installed.
Comparison of shaft. Notice the bolt heads ground down for needed clearance once installed.
Dowel/locating pin in ZF box will need to be pulled out or if not possible, ground down.
Dowel/locating pin in ZF box will need to be pulled out or if not possible, ground down.
Hard to see here, but the notch in the shaft in the original box does NOT line up with the notch on the shaft for the ZF box.  A new notch will need to be ground in the ZF box shaft.
Hard to see here, but the notch in the shaft in the original box does NOT line up with the notch on the shaft for the ZF box. A new notch will need to be ground in the ZF box shaft.
Both boxes placed in a vice showing the exact same location they would be placed on the torsion bar.
Both boxes placed in a vice showing the exact same location they would be placed on the torsion bar.
Difference in size of the two box where the ZF box will just touch the batter box wall.
Difference in size of the two box where the ZF box will just touch the batter box wall.
ZF box installed.
ZF box installed.
Center line on shaft lined up, click on pic and magnify for better clarity.
Center line on shaft lined up, click on pic and magnify for better clarity.

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#68 Post by Trevor Gates »

ZF steering box install continued...
Attachments
Tie rods.
Tie rods.
Tied rod clamp clearanced so it won't interfere with the hole in the chassis.
Tied rod clamp clearanced so it won't interfere with the hole in the chassis.
Another angle showing the tied rod clamp clearanced.
Another angle showing the tied rod clamp clearanced.
View from the top with the steering box access cover removed.
View from the top with the steering box access cover removed.
Steering column moved as far down as possible with the welded in bracket just touching the parking brake clamp.
Steering column moved as far down as possible with the welded in bracket just touching the parking brake clamp.
Battery box pushed out ever so slightly for more clearance for the ZF box.
Battery box pushed out ever so slightly for more clearance for the ZF box.
Steering box access cover in place.
Steering box access cover in place.

George Walling
356 Fan

#69 Post by George Walling »

Trevor, Showing my ignorance here but what is the advantage for going to the ZF box ? The reason for the question is I need to reseal the stock early steering box in my 55 Speedster and if there is a real advantage and the tie rods and all will hook up without to much modifying I was thinking might be nice just to do the upgrade as long as I'm going to have my original box out.
Thanks for sharing the pics and information.

George
George E Walling

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#70 Post by Trevor Gates »

Hey George - Hope you're enjoying this laid back Superbowl Sunday. In short the answer is better steering feel. The ZF is definitely an upgrade and WILL require different tie rods ends. I was going to take a picture of the inside of both boxes for comparison but there weren't any already opened at the shop so we did the next best thing, a side by side of both boxes from the manual.
IMG_1947.jpg
Last couple of pics are of a custom 12V battery install that Jack did on the same 53 coupe.
Attachments
IMG_1951.jpg
IMG_1950.jpg
IMG_1949.jpg

George Walling
356 Fan

#71 Post by George Walling »

Trevor, Thanks for the information but I have already bought new tie rods for my early box so I will stick with the original box. Seems like I'm always a day late, LOL
Yes having a nice relaxed day waiting for people to arrive for the game, my even have time for a few hands of Texas Hold'em before the game.
Hope your having a good game day as well. Take Care George
George E Walling

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#72 Post by Steve Harrison »

Hi George, From what I've been told, the ZF will have a more "return to center" feel as you steer and then straighten out. The gear inside has a defined center, sort of a "high point" on the worm gear, whereas the VW box you and I have as original equipment does not. More of a feel thing I guess.
And yes, I believe the tie rod ends used on those are the large diameter type.

George Walling
356 Fan

#73 Post by George Walling »

Steve thanks also for the reply, seeing how I've already have new original tie rods I'll be staying with my original steering box just going to pull it clean it and reseal.
Hope all is going well for you and your getting back to a normal weather pattern.

George
George E Walling

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#74 Post by Steve Harrison »

That's what I did with my box too George. It was easy, and I was surprised to find that inside it was in pretty good shape. The other thing I noticed is that the upper seal (on the inpur shaft) isn't really a seal, more of a dust seal than an oil tight seal. What I'm getting at is if it's overfilled, the oil will seep out the top till it reaches a level below the seal. The lower seal is a real seal and shouldn't leak.
Yea, the south is weird,..it was 62 yesterday,...after a day or two before of 8 degree weather. No wonder the trees get confused and bloom early around here, haha.

George Walling
356 Fan

#75 Post by George Walling »

Steve, Thanks for the information, The hardest part of the job I see is getting the linkage loose to get the box out and that is just tight working space. My lower seal is leaking just from turning hard from all those years in storage so should be any surprises waiting for me but there is always Murphy law. Hope the weather doesn't hurt your trees.

Take Care
George
George E Walling