The Answer to the Gas Shortage - Too Bad No One Listened...

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Steve Proctor
356 Fan

The Answer to the Gas Shortage - Too Bad No One Listened...

#1 Post by Steve Proctor »

We stupid, lazy Americans ignored the gasoline shortage warning signs in each of the last 3 decades and now in this one. OPEC has ratcheted up the price of oil and I read that they may be lowering it JUST enough to put us back to sleep so we abandon the search for alternate energy sources and that we come to accept $4 a gallon gas as a good thing. I love the internal combustion engine as much as anyone, but we need alternative sources as well.

You always hear the stories of 100 mpg carburetors mysteriously disappearing, etc., most often attributed to the oil companies.

Here's a real one for you. Had we only listened - note the age of the central figure in the attached. Note the date - 30 years ago. By the way, listen carefully for his off-handed comment about world politics. He was right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJVzySk0Pks :x :x :x
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Michael Eker

gas shortage

#2 Post by Michael Eker »

There have been several comments in "the media" recently concerning the rise in oil prices.

One American statesman said that America is borrowing money from China to give to the

Gulf States to pay for oil, maybe so, but why is the price so high.

The producers sell their oil,or gas, on spot markets.

What has been hapenning recently is that several oil brokers noticed that if they bought oil

and kept hold of it for a few weeks, rather than selling it on immediately, the spot price

increased due to the artificial shotage they had caused.

The extra they got for the oil far outweighed the extra cost of having the tankers sitting at

anchor for a few weeks.

There is nothing illegal about this it is their oil they can do as they please with it.

meker

Deborah King
356 Fan

#3 Post by Deborah King »

It will be interesting to see how far the hydrogen car will go. I can't help envision something that may well happen in the colder states. How will this car play when billowing clouds of steam fog the following drivers' vision? And what happens when all that steam (water) freezes on the pavement in the really cold states?
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Also, resident MINI Cooper lover :-)