Recognize this name: Heinz Bade?

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Charlie White
356 Fan

Recognize this name: Heinz Bade?

#1 Post by Charlie White »

Anybody recognize this name: Heinz Bade? Posssibly involved with 356 Carreras, and certainly 356 Porsches back in the late 50's to mid 60's/

Charlie White
Scottsdale, Arizona
Charlie White

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

Re: Recognize this name: Heinz Bade?

#2 Post by Bruce Baker »

IMG_0822.JPG
Heinz was Bruce Jennings' 4 cam mechanic, still around as far as I know. The picture shows him on the left at Daytona's RR3. I have his number somewhere if you need it.

Charlie White
356 Fan

#3 Post by Charlie White »

Bruce,

Thanks for the information about Heinz Bede!! I was trying to determine which Carrera Engine I posted a picture of earlier, that Michael Doyle had responded to, and pulled out one of my Carrera Engine Guides to check. Michael was right, it's not a 1500GS. When I looked at the inside cover of the Carrera Guide, there was the name Heinz Bade, and Heinz's signature, with a reference to Heinz Bade Motors, Towson, Md. Tell him I have his Carrera manual. I've had it a long time, but don't remember where I got it. Again thanks!

Regards,

Charlie White
Attachments
HeinzBede.JPG
HeinzBede.JPG (13.51 KiB) Viewed 6230 times
Charlie White

Bob Warner
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bob Warner »

You guys brought back some old memories . Bruce Jennings found my E/P Speedster for me at Heinz`s shop in MD . Went to meet Bruce at his agency and he drove me to Heinz`s shop where the mechanic put a muffler on the car and set the suspension . I paid him and was the owner of an E/P Speedster .... and then drove it back home to VA ..... and that is a tail in itself . I believe the engine had also been rebuilt by Heinz .

Bob
Bob Warner

Eric Wahlberg
356 Fan

#5 Post by Eric Wahlberg »

Heinz is still around and also a member of Central PA Region - PCA. He also owns a 356. He was at the November CPA-PCA meeting and will probably be at the Swap Meet in April. Aside from being Bruce Jennings wrench and building Carrera engines Heinz was a mechanic for Sterling Moss during his F1 years. He is a fascinating gentleman with a lot of interesting stories.
Eric Wahlberg

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#6 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Yes, Heinz Bade...He came to the U.S. in 1957, as he told me, " with my cardboard suitcase and my Speedster."
I met him at Summit Point racetrack, Va., a few years ago. He is still somewhat involved with 356 engine work. He remembered working on my B coupe, 125002, when it was equipped with a Carrera engine. The owner lived in Annapolis, Md. back then and Heinz also resided in that state.
There is a wonderful photo of him sitting in Bruce Jenning's garage, surrounded by about seven four cam engines and a couple of Bruce's Carrera Speedsters. Heinz was best known as Bruce Jenning's mechanic but he also taught college courses and is quite an educated fellow.

Stephan Mangin
356 Fan

#7 Post by Stephan Mangin »

So proud, I'll meet him next week :wink:

Frederic Prince
356 Fan

#8 Post by Frederic Prince »

Met tonight, what a great man !!

619 4cams on his count !!!!

Stephan will post some pict ;)

fred ;)©
1991 - 1993 - 2,7 Targa
2004 - 2013 - 993 Targa
2015 - 2016 3,2 Targa '84
2008...356 roadster T5 S90
2013...2,4 E 72 Sunroof under restoration
2016...3,2 Targa '86
2018...3,2 Speedster '89

Stephan Mangin
356 Fan

#9 Post by Stephan Mangin »

a dream : Heinz is THE encyclopedy of 4-cam !!

Will post pics no later than tomorrow

ac roda
356 Fan

#10 Post by ac roda »

Heinz rebuilt the Super engine in my '60 Roadster I was restoring back around 1991. At first he wasn't too excited about rebuilding a lowly pushrod engine, so I groveled a bit and offered to do some of the grunt work for him on Saturdays...disassembly, clean-up, etc. He agreed and I got to hear all his past racing stories and his other life stories, as well. Occasionally he'd get a phone call from old school chums or friends in Germany and they'd catch up on life, both there and here since his immigration.
Upon engine assembly completion, the initial start up (started right up BTW) and testing was akin to a religious ceremony. After start up, he pulled up a chair next to the engine stand, sat down and leaned over toward the engine, and listened intently to that running engine for a good 45 minutes or so, occasionally changing the rpm setting. He grinned the whole time, the more he grinned, the more my comfort level rose and needless to say, the engine ran flawlessly the whole time I had the car............and I sure wish I still had it!
Heinz is quite a treasure and am glad to hear he's still around and kicking.......not sure there are many like him around any more...........not that I've seen, anyway.
AC Roda

Stephan Mangin
356 Fan

#11 Post by Stephan Mangin »

What a beautiful story : thanks ! ;) you're fully right

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#12 Post by Trevor Gates »

Geoff Fleming wrote:There is a wonderful photo of him sitting in Bruce Jenning's garage, surrounded by about seven four cam engines and a couple of Bruce's Carrera Speedsters.
Attachments
Heinz Werner Bade.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/

Stephan Mangin
356 Fan

#13 Post by Stephan Mangin »

Fun you are posting this picture. Heinz has offered it to Olivier, my mechancican, when we met all together in Paris for a diner.

I well remember this moment, lokk at this pic ;)

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#14 Post by Trevor Gates »

WOW! That is really fantastic, brings it full circle! Thank you for posting Stephan.
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#15 Post by Geoff Fleming »

In speaking with him, his recommendation for the push rod engines was not to sustain more than 4,000 rpm for prolonged periods and everything should be fine. This was about eight years ago and he was commenting on using the 356 in this day and age. Of course, when new, owners maintained 5,000 rpm and more but more than half a century has passed and engine mechanicals have a limited life cycle. Very pleasant fellow to talk to!