Texas to D.C. Road Recommendations?

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Deborah King
356 Fan

Texas to D.C. Road Recommendations?

#1 Post by Deborah King »

Anyone have some good routes from a little north of Houston to Washington--NOT on the interstates, of course? Google has us going to New Orleans on I-10, and then up on on similarly scintillating roads, but we're looking for something different. I know the Trinkles will chime in on Arkansas (you WILL, won't you?). Hubby has agreed to take the MINI (thank you, gas prices!), but we'd like some input on other states. And it wouldn't hurt to put in something about...speed traps, if you know of any.

The occasion? Well, our darling baby daughter, Michelle, is competing in the Ms. Wheelchair America pageant. She's Ms. Wheelchair Texas. Here's more:

http://www.mswheelchairamerica.org/...e-award-voting/

(To help defray trip expenses for this and for various state appearances, we're also shamelessly soliciting a dollar or two (or more!) using their website.)
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Also, resident MINI Cooper lover :-)

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#2 Post by Pat Daily »

Deb

How fast do you want to travel? We drove from Dallas to DC some years ago. We crossed Arkansas, drove thru Tennessee and on into western North Carolina and stayed in Ashville. You could take skyline drive north from Ashville to Front Royal, Virginia and then cut over to DC. This route has incredible views since you ride along the top of the Blue Ridge.

Lots of neat places along the way. Stop in Boone and go to the highest mountain top east of the Rockies--stay there at a ski resort. Stop in Roanoke and see the train museum. Also check Galax, VA for the fiddle festival in the summer. Stop in Waynesboro and Staunton, VA area and visit G&W and see vintage Porsches. Stop at White Post and visit a classic car museum.

Since much of it parallels Interstate 81 and/old highway 29, you can always cut over to those to make time if you need. Let me know if you need more detail. I live in the Richmond, VA area and can tell you more.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

Deborah King
356 Fan

#3 Post by Deborah King »

Yes, that's pretty much what I had in mind. I want to go through Hot Springs because there's a very good chance we'll be retiring there, and from there on it looks like the route. If you can include Tail of the Dragon, that would be a bonus, but I could figure out how to do it, I guess. But road numbers of any kind would be very helpful.

Also, a little input on the VA situation. I've been told all kinds of horror stories, like $1500 for a ticket, and cops crushing radar detectors if they see one. True or not? We're not big speeders, but 10-15 over would be about it. It's a MINI, after all!
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Also, resident MINI Cooper lover :-)

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#4 Post by Pat Daily »

The speeding thing on the Virginia interstates are mostly on the interstates, not the back roads. Virginia did have a law about high fines for state residents that got thrown out this spring. I buzz along on the back roads with no problem (I don't get much above 75 mph).

The tail of the dragon is good too. Go to google maps and look for the roads that say skyline drive in western VA. In North Carolina it is called the Blue Ridge Parkway north out of Ashville (Rte 221) all the way to Roanoke, VA. Don't forget the National D-Day memorial at Bedford VA. Also the Peaks of Otter.

The tail of the dragon -- 618 turns in 11 miles. It is south of Ashville, NC a bit.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

http://www.dealsgap.com/

Have fun.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda")