MGB heater question

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

MGB heater question

#1 Post by Emil Wojcik »

I know quite a few of you out there have/had MGBs, so if any of you are out there…

It’s time to clean up the engine compartment on my ‘78 MGB and as I’m removing the heater assembly to repaint it, I’m thinking that maybe I would leave it out completely since I haven’t used the heat in over 20 years. So, are there any reasons that I shouldn’t remove it for good? Would removing it and using a blocking plate in place of the heater valve on the block cause any problems with cooling? I guess I need to know if the coolant still circulates through the heater radiator, thereby providing additional cooling, even when you don’t turn on the heat. The engine puts out about 100hp (35hp more than stock) and it does run a bit hotter than stock, so I don’t want to remove anything that would make things even hotter.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Eric Gibeaut
356 Fan

#2 Post by Eric Gibeaut »

You will have no problems if you remove the heater valve and the heater. When you shut off the heater valve, no water goes through the heater core anyway. So if you don't need a heater during the winter, take it out-it will really clean up the engine compartment! Eric
"Life is too short to own just one classic car!"
SCAT Member #2
SCUM Member #2

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

MGB heater question

#3 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Thanks Eric, That's what I thought but figured I'd ask to be sure.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420