King Midget

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Gert Gehlhaar
356 Fan

King Midget

#1 Post by Gert Gehlhaar »

I don't know how many of you remember the King Midget that was advertised in Popular Science in the 50's. It came as a kit car or completely assembled ready to drive. When I was a kid, I always wanted one but my parents decided that a Cushman Scooter was more appropriate for my driver to go to school. Now in my old age of 68, I finally have acquired one and it is almost finished and fully restored. It has an Onan 12hp single cylinder motor with a two speed variable speed transmission with a reverse and hydraulic brakes.

John Harvey
356 Fan

#2 Post by John Harvey »

Hey Gert: Thanks for the pix-I rode a Cushman in the fifties-I'm glad I'm still alive!!!
Good luck with the "King"-it looks really nice!
John Harvey
Columbia, MD
356C (across the country 13 Times-and back)
John Harvey

Gert Gehlhaar
356 Fan

#3 Post by Gert Gehlhaar »

John - I also had a Cushman Scooter but it a Sears Allstate made by Cushman. It was light green with full fairings and I loved this machine but I still always wanted a King Midget. I drove my Scooter 14 miles each way to High School.

Charles Rollins
356 Fan

#4 Post by Charles Rollins »

If you scroll down to "Collection of Petersen Automotive Museum Event Photos" you can see the handful of photos we took at the recent gathering of King Midgets. Some stock and some hot rodded. http://www.bench-racing.com/html/news.html
Enjoy,
Charles Rollins
Charles Rollins
1962 356 S90 Coupe
1970 911T
1964 Safari Rally Mercury Comet