Cracks in Porsche 912 Brake Rotors -- how dangerous

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
John Linden
356 Fan

Cracks in Porsche 912 Brake Rotors -- how dangerous

#1 Post by John Linden »

My brother in law has a 66 912 which disk brakes. I think these are pretty similar to the 356C disk brakes so that is why I am hoping to get an answer from the guys on the list. This 912 has 84000 miles on it and the brakes work fine but you can see hair line cracks in the rotors and with a fingernail you can slightly feel them. Should these rotors be replaced? I assume these are cracks from heat? Are there better rotors than the original which would be used if the rotors are replaced? Thanks for the help!

Happy Fourth of July!!

John Linden
Alamo, CA
63 Cab
John Linden
Alamo, CA
63 Cab

Ashley Page
356 Fan

Re: Cracks in Porsche 912 Brake Rotors -- how dangerous

#2 Post by Ashley Page »

John Linden wrote:My brother in law has a 66 912 which disk brakes. I think these are pretty similar to the 356C disk brakes so that is why I am hoping to get an answer from the guys on the list. This 912 has 84000 miles on it and the brakes work fine but you can see hair line cracks in the rotors and with a fingernail you can slightly feel them. Should these rotors be replaced? I assume these are cracks from heat? Are there better rotors than the original which would be used if the rotors are replaced? Thanks for the help!

Happy Fourth of July!!

John Linden
Alamo, CA
63 Cab
Can you post a picture?

If they are heat checks you are probably ok but hard to tell without seeing. The fact that you can feel them with a fingernail tells me that are big heat checks at best. If the crack is through to the OD then you might as well change out the rotors.

I have Zimmerman, which most diehards on Pelican spit on. But I don't have an issue with them and they work fine. They are on my 911. I have a new set of Zimmermans for my 64 C also, if I ever get it one the road. At the rate I am going they will be rusted out before I get the car on the ground.

John Linden
356 Fan

912 Brake Rotors with Cracks

#3 Post by John Linden »

Ashley: Thanks for your response. Sorry to say I don't have any pictures because it isn't my car. Best Wishes John
John Linden
Alamo, CA
63 Cab

Ashley Page
356 Fan

Re: 912 Brake Rotors with Cracks

#4 Post by Ashley Page »

John Linden wrote:Ashley: Thanks for your response. Sorry to say I don't have any pictures because it isn't my car. Best Wishes John
You are welcome. When in doubt - fit new rotors. They are not that expensive.