EBAY-What's the cheapest way to sell a car

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Ben Sherman
356 Fan

EBAY-What's the cheapest way to sell a car

#1 Post by Ben Sherman »

Listers,
With the economy in the tank, Ebay Motors for 356's is probably in the same tank. From what I understand, under new rules, if you have a reserve, and it doesn't sell, you pay handsomely. If it is "No Reserve", and somebody only bids $3.56- it's theirs! I have never sold a 356, or any car, on Evil-bay before. Does anybody out there have some advice or words of wisdom? I live so rurally that this is probably the only venue to advertise the car.
Ben
'65 Cab - Unusual

Glenn Ring
356 Fan
Tag: On theSamba.com

#2 Post by Glenn Ring »

You can post a free ad on the Samba ( http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/add.php ). They have a Porsche catagory and there are some cars listed. It's a aircooled VW site, but many members also have aircooled Porsches... and it's worldwide.

And it's free.

As to ebay... I don' t like reserves. I rather see a high starting price then bid on something that if it doesn't meet the reserve I won't win even if i'm the high bidder.
Glenn Ring

Restored Bosch Distributors

Eric Gibeaut
356 Fan

#3 Post by Eric Gibeaut »

Why not list it for sale right here on this forum? Eric
"Life is too short to own just one classic car!"
SCAT Member #2
SCUM Member #2

John Alfenito
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Alfenito »

It appears that $90 is the most you would pay to list and sell a car on Ebay Motors. Here's their fee schedule which seems reasonable when you consider the potential audience of Ebay (worldwide!).

I have listed a couple of cars on Ebay. Sold one through an auction; sold another after the auction had closed to someone who'd seen the car via Ebay.

Think of Ebay as a global marketing tool rather than an auction site. The number of people who will see your car there is significant…and when it comes to selling classic cars, it may take a lot of exposure to find just the right buyer. Obviously, the more places you list your car for sale, the better off you will be. Use every site available, especially the free ones like our own Classifieds.
[url=http://www.infive.com][img]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u316/WardAutomotiveGruppe/JohnLeaderPics/PixelButton.gif[/img][/url]

JOEL JENSEN

#5 Post by JOEL JENSEN »

Craig's List is free and it has worked well for me. E-bay used to be a good venue for sellers but has become way to greedy in it's pricing. It's subsidiary, Pay Pal, is also to be avoided if you are a seller. If you are a buyer, it can be a good resource, but the usual caveats apply.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

The fees for EBAY have gone up but you have to way the price of EBAY against the top dollar you will get there, that you won't get on other venues.

I only sell cars two ways, to my private clients, and through EBAY. You are guaranteed to get the top dollar for the car and guaranteed to get the most people looking at it.

So when you sell a car and have to pay $100 for the listing, it hurts, but when you made an extra $5000 by selling it on EBAY, it hurts a lot less.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Everett Barnes
356 Fan

#7 Post by Everett Barnes »

I watch 356s on eBay and a lot of them seem to go for crazy money so eBay can be a good outlet to get top dollar.

One issue with car sales on eBay, although I don't know if this applies to 356s, is that I have heard reports of buyers flaking out on the purchase or trying to renegotiate after the fact.

In general, Craigslist people are insane from what I have experienced selling household items.

I agree eBay can also be used as a marketing tool. I had a flaky buyer stringing me along on a car I was selling elsewhere. I put the car on eBay. He got worried as soon as there were some bids and did the Buy-It-Now, which was my original full asking price.
I own a bunch of VWs and I run http://www.thesamba.com
I don't own a Porsche but I've sat in a lot of pre-As and made engine noises.

Ben Sherman
356 Fan

Thanks for the heads up

#8 Post by Ben Sherman »

Thanks guys! This is a really great car - only about 20,000 original miles and a full rebuild of everything on the car: 99%new rubber, no rust ever, absolutely beautiful, blah, blah, blah. It's been in my garage 30years and I've never had it on the street! Just hope it goes to a great home in a time when it's not a good time to sell.
I think I will also put it on Samba and Craigs List. Certainly won't hurt. Great Advice.
Ben
'65 Cab - unusual

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#9 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Ben,
I didn't see anyone mention the autotrader. There is also autotrader online.....Where abouts are your located? You mentioned it is rural....Also, do you have any pics you can share of the car?

Thanks
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Jack Stenner
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jack Stenner »

I just "sold" a car through eBay. The winning bidder had 0 feedback. I never heard from them before or after the auction. So now I'm having to file a non-paying bidders report. I think it's too easy to game the system and everything is set up, now, to favor buyers rather than sellers.

That being said, I was contacted by a couple of people who were interested but wouldn't bid via eBay. One of the people who saw the car there, came, inspected it, and completed the purchase last week.

I look forward to the day when Google or someone else sets up an alternative online auction system!

I had also listed my car on autotrader, dupontregistry and a couple of marque specific forums but didn't get much action.

HTH,
53 Coupe #51576

Michael Eker

e bay

#11 Post by Michael Eker »

I advertised my father in laws car on ebay as he was giving up driving due to failing eysight

That evening he had a knock on the door, it was a local lass who had been looking for that

exact model of car and she had recognised the house from the ebay photos.

In fact my F.I.L also knew the girl as she was his dentist's very pretty receptionist.

After viewing the car she went home and bid for the car and eventually secured it.

Everybody was happy, ebay sometimes works ok.

I notice today though they have been fined 36 million Euros for sellin fake handbags.

meker

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#12 Post by Dan Macdonald »

For what it's worth, I used Ebay to sell my 914. A guy out of the area used Buy It Now. He never saw the car until it was shipped to him...It was very easy for me.
I also sold a motorcycle on Ebay. They came and picked it up. Again, very easy for me.
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Stan Hanks
356 Fan

#13 Post by Stan Hanks »

I've never sold a car via E-Bay, but I have bought four that way. In general, I've been happy with the outcomes.

I usually sell via Craigslist, and I typically advertise in non-local markets in addition to locally. Improves success dramatically!

I did sell one car via Barrett Jackson and was super-duper unhappy with the result. Sold two via Bonhams and couldn't have been happier. YMMV.

Selling sub-$1000 items on Craigslist is just insane, though. The flake factor is very high, as is the tendancy to for the prospective buyers to think they can talk you down to 10% of your asking price, or trade you for their junk, or worse.
Stan Hanks
founder Porschephiles 1986-1995
currently Porsche-less
ex-'62 Carrera II
ex-'60 Roadster
ex-'62 Cab
ex-'58 Speedster
ex-'60 Coupe "First S90"
ex-'64 Coupe
ex- 3 914s, 3 911s, 1 930

Ben Sherman
356 Fan

Ebay= I did it, now what?

#14 Post by Ben Sherman »

Well, I put my car on ebay - 170235589931- NO Reserve (stupid when I think about it)
And it really isn't going anywhere. I could end up selling one of the love's of my life for bird feed! If you pull the add in the last 11:59 hrs before it ends you never know what the last 30 min will do (aparently when bidding get hotter). On the other hand, it goes for what you have in it. I really tried to be as honest as I could, but did I make a mistake? I personally wouldn't buy a car on ebay, some would, but what I don't understand is why no body emails me, request additional pictures, or even calls? Is this wierd or what?
Ben Sherman
'65 Cab unusual