Why Traffic Safety Measures Don't Improve Traffic Safety

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Chris Markham
356 Fan
Instagram: @csmarkham

Why Traffic Safety Measures Don't Improve Traffic Safety

#1 Post by Chris Markham »

Interesting article in The Atlantic, food for those of us who think that the safest driver is a well-trained, alert and engaged one.
Chris M
59 Coupe #106728
'61 "Heinz 57" 1720. Stacks, ceramic headers, Supertrapp, Pertronix, Maestro 24k gold-plate coil strap for speed. Willhoit bar, Skirmants spring. 5" Brazilians. 20' paint w/abundant bubbles, GT straps, grilles.

Deborah King
356 Fan

#2 Post by Deborah King »

Yes, it is an interesting article. I AM confused by the comment that seat belts and air bags have "somewhat" reduced the death rate. I would have expected a HUGE decrease!

I just returned from Italy where there are almost no traffic lights--everything's a roundabout. Cars in the circle have the right of way. A friend of mine has taken several recent trips to Belgium. There the cars entering the circle have the right of way.

Can you imagine the confusion by an Italian going to Belgium, or vice versa? :?:
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Also, resident MINI Cooper lover :-)

Bill Leavitt
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bill Leavitt »

Deborah King wrote:Can you imagine the confusion by an Italian going to Belgium, or vice versa? :?:
Unless you grew up right there, can you imagine the confusion of using the "Magic Roundabout" in Swindon, England? I get dizzy just thinking about it!

http://www.swindonweb.com/?m=8&s=115&ss ... Roundabout

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#4 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Bill Leavitt wrote:
Deborah King wrote:Can you imagine the confusion by an Italian going to Belgium, or vice versa? :?:
Unless you grew up right there, can you imagine the confusion of using the "Magic Roundabout" in Swindon, England? I get dizzy just thinking about it!

Bill,
Thanks for posting the link. I never heard of such a roundabout as "the Magic Roundabout" of Swindon.

I can only imagine The Griswalds trying to navigate the above roundabout!
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Deborah King
356 Fan

#5 Post by Deborah King »

Bill Leavitt wrote:

Ummm, well, that's what they make insurance for!

Look at all the MINIs!
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

#6 Post by Guest »

Interesting article. I watched a piece on Discovery recently about Drachten. Removing all traffic controls would seem counter-intuitive but it seems to work in Holland.

New-Urban planners are using roundabouts as a means of reducing traffic congestion where roadways have been narrowed as part of the design directive
for cities and towns developed on a more human scale. My own small town has replaced several stop sign intersections with roundabouts, and even a major ingress
was done with little fanfare. So far, no problems. A large roundabout has been part of Old Cutler Road south of Coconut Grove for decades and works fine... most of the time.

Having visited and driven in many European, Asian, and Caribbean countries, I'm always amused when talking with other Americans that think the people in
(insert country here) drive like maniacs. It's simply a matter of conditioning. And training.
I rather enjoy diving in Italy, Switzerland, Germany, France.... well, Turkey CAN be dicey. :shock:
China, Cambodia and Thailand are another matter.

Not to go off on a thread drift here, but most Americans regard driving as a right.
The rest of the developed world recognize it is a priviledge that requires specific training.
Perhaps if that same attitude could be taught in the USA on a National level, common sense traffic control would work here, too.

Deborah King
356 Fan

#7 Post by Deborah King »

Your comment about roundabouts in your city is interesting. My folks live in Clearwater, FL, and they put in a beautifully landscaped roundabout at Clearwater beach. Crashes right and left! They wound up tearing it out and putting in the usual lights.

Maybe the age of the drivers? My father's 91 and still drives, although not well...
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe