Annoying "D", fake actually, on ebay.

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
charles kourmpates

Annoying "D", fake actually, on ebay.

#1 Post by charles kourmpates »

I gotta tell ya, I have no problem with the "copy kat" fiberglass cars that are helping out the industry. really I don't.

But this thing is ridiculous. No, not the car, but the photos!

They keep changing and changing. Not allowing enough time to zero in on any detail?

Are these people that smart?

A wonderful way to prevent "seeing" even when it's in your face.

Give me "stills" any day.

Unless? Could this photo approach be deliberate?

Check it out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche- ... 0224954665

Charles

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#2 Post by Alex Mestas »

I have to say- its not the real thing, but it looks good. We all know its merely a replica of the REAL ONE. If you want to stop or pause the picture click on the center square on the display under the photograph.

Anytime you deal with E-Bay auctions you should always remember "Caveat Emptor" 'Buyer Beware"

The operative sentence in the description given is "The (sp) time has been made to completely replicate the real 59 356. I dare you to find another 356 replica out there that is as close as this car"

We always have to read the fine print. .....There's nothing like the real thing baby! :D
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Mike Zois
356 Fan

#3 Post by Mike Zois »

That's an expensive fake. ALSO, if bought and imported to the US, most likely will be a bear to register.....home builts HAVE to be home built....i.e. built by a private individual to be smog exempt...IF the Sate you live in has that provision.

If not, the motor needs to be 2008 smog compliant. No air cooled motor is, at this time....
Mike Zois
57 Tubeframe Speedster
356 Registry# 17974
58 A Coupe, searching for parts
70 914/6 under restoration
73 911 RS Cabriolet
74 914 2.0 (sold)
Reno, NV

Jeff Tanko
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jeff Tanko »

Among other things, I build 55-57 T-bird kit cars for a living. Our company puts out 4-5 turn key cars a year. Even though the cars are 100% new(and usually carbureted), because they are titled as replicars they do NOT have to meet current safety or emissions standards. The kit car industry lobbys VERY hard to keep it that way, although a few states do cause registration headaches.

About the price. Given the amount of work required to build a car to the apperent quality of this kit, $40K is a very reasopnable price(not that I would pay it, I'm just not surprised). Say for instance you bought a driver real 356 and wanted it completely restored. Assuming you had a shop do a quality restoration for you, you'd have AT LEAST $40K in it PLUS the initial cost of the car. Take for instance the Speedster I'm restoring. It was a decent one owner driver with minimal rust and relitivly low miles. Even though it was perfectly operational when he bought it, his bill from us for the full restoration will most likely be nearly $45,000 on top of what he initially paid for the car. In this instance it's worth it because it's a very low number Speedster, but for a more "average" 356, the cost of restoration exceeds the value of the car(not including sentimental value :) ). Now, I'm not saying that kits are the way to go(I probably wouldn't buy one), just that this particular car isn't really over priced.

Some kit buyers are actually afraid of original cars too. We have more than one customer who has an original restored '55 Thunderbird, but decided to buy one of our turn keys because they were afraid they'd scratch, ding, or otherwise damage their original. Keep in mind that our cars sell for maybe $15K less than a fully restored original($60,000 range), so it's not like they're getting a cheap car that sorta resembles their original. I imagine many Porsche kit buyers are the same way. They wouldn't want to risk damaging an original Roadster or Speedster so they buy a well built kit instead.

My two cents :wink:
www.regaltbird.com Speedster #80486: restoration complete :)

Terry Nuckels
356 Fan

#5 Post by Terry Nuckels »

That happens to be an Intermeccanica, built in Vancouver, BC. Henry Reisner builds the best 356 replica, bar none. Built on a custom tube frame, both D and speedster models have electric windows. Entry price is around $40k. Average build time is approximately 6 months. However, I have friends who have waited much longer than that because of their special requests.
Intermeccanca will also build a Speedster or D with complete 911 running gear and suspension.
There are some customers who have in excess of a $100k invested in their builds.
No, it's not the real thing, but in some ways, it's better.
Check them out: Intermeccanica

Chris Markham
356 Fan
Instagram: @csmarkham

Intermeccanica D -- turn signal bases?

#6 Post by Chris Markham »

Do the "D"s have the 59 turn signal bases? Or was that just the coupes-n-cabs?

If so, then there are still a few things to do to this replica before it can win the
"Wanna-Be-D" concours award.
Chris M
59 Coupe #106728
'61 "Heinz 57" 1720. Stacks, ceramic headers, Supertrapp, Pertronix, Maestro 24k gold-plate coil strap for speed. Willhoit bar, Skirmants spring. 5" Brazilians. 20' paint w/abundant bubbles, GT straps, grilles.

Deborah King
356 Fan

Re: Annoying "D", fake actually, on ebay.

#7 Post by Deborah King »

charles kourmpates wrote: But this thing is ridiculous. No, not the car, but the photos!

They keep changing and changing. Not allowing enough time to zero in on any detail?

Are these people that smart?

A wonderful way to prevent "seeing" even when it's in your face.

Give me "stills" any day.

Unless? Could this photo approach be deliberate?

Check it out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche- ... 0224954665

Charles
The easy way around this is to use the pause button when you see something interesting. Only problem is the resolution is shot.

I got an email from someone on one of the MINI forums who wants to buy a replica. I tried to get him to consider a real 356, but no dice. At least he says he's getting an Intermeccanica. I didn't know about the registration problems, though. Might get lucky--he's in Louisiana.
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Also, resident MINI Cooper lover :-)

Don Rutherford
356 Fan

Intermeccanica

#8 Post by Don Rutherford »

Ditto on Terry's comments about Reisner who had a long history of building unique cars. The Intermeccanica Conv D was originally offered as a kit before he moved his operation to Vancouver and started to build turn-key units, so someone who knew what they were looking at would have to do some research which would probably go beyond complaining about the pictures.
Don Rutherford