Car mix up and IDENTICAL KEYS

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
jeff hathorn
356 Fan

Car mix up and IDENTICAL KEYS

#1 Post by jeff hathorn »

Three weeks ago,I bought a 2001 911 silver turbo from a private owner in Miami. He only had 1 key. Said the dealer he bought the car from ,"Formula One", never came up with the other keys at his purchase time.
This morning, I went down in the 7 story parking garage of the Sonesta,Coconut Grove, where I have a condo; to drive the TURBO. It had been sitting there for 3 weeks, as I have been traveling. One of the valet parkers was in my car with it started,just gettin ready to pull it out.. He said a gentleman had given him the ticket ,was waiting for the car down at the hotel front. The key was from the valet key box. It was identical to my key and also disabled my car's alarm.-Long story short, this gentleman had a 2004 S2 silver cab parked by valet in the garage on the same floor and his key worked in my car.
I was under the impression that laser cut keys were unique to that car only. Does anyone have an explanation?
jeffery c hathorn

Deborah King
356 Fan

#2 Post by Deborah King »

That's really weird. At least in the case of MINIs and BMWs, the chip is what runs the show. I would assume that a high-dollar car like a Porsche would be the same. What does the dealer say? If the dealer doesn't know, there is probably a telephone helpline to call (again, using the cars I'm familiar with).
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Also, resident MINI Cooper lover :-)

jeff hathorn
356 Fan

#3 Post by jeff hathorn »

I also have a 2002 cooper S! Love that car. I have not talked with Porsche about the same key -different car Laser key issue yet. Does anyone know where in the Porsche organization one would ask this question about someone elses key used to drive my 2001 turbo away?
My ignition switch on my "59 Convert D is so well broken in , that you probably could put a popsicle stick in it and it would work! I have a Bosch external cutoff switch on it.
jeffery c hathorn

Deborah King
356 Fan

#4 Post by Deborah King »

I dunno--I'd start at the top and work my way down the foodchain until I had an answer. With the MINI there is the "Ask MINI" hotline (1-866-ASK-MINI). I'm sure Porsche has something like that.

P.S. Mine's a 2007 R56 MCS. Love it! Always wanted a red MINI--now that I'm past the middle age crazies I can get one, right? Here's mine:

It's also a turbo. Probably a little slower than yours, though... :mrgreen:
Deborah King

'64 SC Sunroof Coupe

Also, resident MINI Cooper lover :-)