Look at this Patina !

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
mike collinoff
356 Fan

Look at this Patina !

#1 Post by mike collinoff »

That's it Folks, I decided this is the best look, Paint or lack of, This Patina is the next best thing to fully restored car. I think it looks great and very Vintage and tell me the truth, which has a more eye appeal this patina car, or a restored one that are like so many, perfect in every way!. I think this is the next "Look", I don't agree this Coupes low stance, but that is my opinion, some like it real low to the ground. I prefer the stock, unrestored , Patina look, whatchyaa think Folks. My next project is going to look like this, minus the lowering. What would you suggest, strip it to bear metal and let it weatherize a bit, then treat it with some w-40 rub down?.
Mike.
Mike C.

Michael Cass
356 Fan

#2 Post by Michael Cass »

Loks fantastic. It is known as the "Rat Look". It is very commin in the VW circle. I have a '59 Kombi like that. Love it.
59 Porsche 356A Coupe
59 VW Kombi
60 VW kombi x2
61 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe
92 BMW E30 325i Convertible (at least it's German)
02 Toyota Townace SBV ( aka. The Unspeakable)

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#3 Post by Mark Pribanic »

That almost looks as though it is a faux rustina. Where was the pic taken?
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Mark Selleck
356 Fan

Look at this Patina!

#4 Post by Mark Selleck »

One of the oldest processes used to finish the barrels (and other parts) of firearms to retard rust is "browning" (as opposed to bluing). http://www.americanlongrifles.com/WorkS ... owning.htm
It might take a while doing a whole car, but the finish on my muzzle-loading shotgun was much better-looking (my opinion) than a blued finish. Keeping it looking good might take a little more time than just letting it rust, though the metal would last longer. Now, there are also cold bluing processes, if you want to head in that visual direction. :D

By the end of the Napoleonic Wars, the tide had turned against bright steel. On 22nd June 1815, four days after the Battle of Waterloo, orders were issued with instructions from Horse Guards for all British Army muskets to be browned. For those who are interested in the browning and blueing process adopted by the British the following are the instructions for browning issued in 1815 along with additional instructions a few months later. These orders are taken from General Regulations and Orders for the Army, 1811 (revised 1816):

"Instructions for Browning Gun Barrels

The following Ingredients:

Nitric Acid 1/2 ounce
Sweet Spirit of 1/2 ditto.
Spirits of Wine 1 ditto.
Blue Vitriol 2 ditto
Tincture of Steel 1 ditto.

Full instructions @: http://www.militaryheritage.com/browning.htm
Mark Selleck
Mineral Springs, NC

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#5 Post by Rusty Willey »

Couldn't agree with you more on the Coupe Mike and your opinion of patina being the next best to a total resto. I do have to admit, I love it lowered!!
Don't hate me for driving Volkswagens.

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Re: Look at this Patina !

#6 Post by Barry Brisco »

Well Mike, as you are asking for opinions, mine is that the car in the photo looks like a rusting, neglected piece of once proud German automotive engineering. I seriously doubt it will be the "next look" but my crystal ball is hazy so I cannot be certain.

To me, "patina" on a 356 means subtle signs of decades of use but not outright neglect and abuse. There are still original paint 356s around that look decent and are not covered with rust. It just requires taking care of them. That does not mean keeping them sealed in plastic wrap in a climate controlled garage: it means keeping the car reasonably clean, waxing the paint, treating the upholstery with the correct products, etc.

I admire a perfectly restored 356 that looks "like new" but I also admire those cars that show their age in a way that indicates their owners looked after them with care.

Best regards,

Barry Brisco
mike collinoff wrote:That's it Folks, I decided this is the best look, Paint or lack of, This Patina is the next best thing to fully restored car. I think it looks great and very Vintage and tell me the truth, which has a more eye appeal this patina car, or a restored one that are like so many, perfect in every way!. I think this is the next "Look", I don't agree this Coupes low stance, but that is my opinion, some like it real low to the ground. I prefer the stock, unrestored , Patina look, whatchyaa think Folks. My next project is going to look like this, minus the lowering. What would you suggest, strip it to bear metal and let it weatherize a bit, then treat it with some w-40 rub down?.
Mike.

Ned Hamlin
356 Fan

Patina

#7 Post by Ned Hamlin »

We intentionally rust corrugated metal roofs all the time - just mix up a little vinegar and salt, and, voila, you have a nicely rusted 356 in 24 hours or less. Just what we all want.

Ned Hamlin
'64 Bali Blue coupe
Ned Hamlin
'64 Bali Blue coupe
'65 Togo Brown SC
'58 Ruby Speedster
'65 Dolphin Grey coupe
'63 Carrera 2 coupe

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison/Yogi Berra

Dirk Heinrich
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dirk Heinrich »

Mark Pribanic wrote:That almost looks as though it is a faux rustina. Where was the pic taken?
Mark - I took the picture of the rusty 356 Sunday 6/14/2009 at the VW classic and yes it is not real patina (if you zoom in you can kind of see it).

Anyhow I liked it particularly, 'cause it is RIGHT HAND DRIVE - seems like nobody caught it :P

When it comes to patina-look, VW's are way ahead of us - kind of like this (same event):

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#9 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Dirk Heinrich wrote:
Mark Pribanic wrote:That almost looks as though it is a faux rustina. Where was the pic taken?
Mark - I took the picture of the rusty 356 Sunday 6/14/2009 at the VW classic and yes it is not real patina (if you zoom in you can kind of see it).

Anyhow I liked it particularly, 'cause it is RIGHT HAND DRIVE - seems like nobody caught it :P
Dirk,

Thanks for taking the pic! So it is in fact a faux rustina? Prepped or painted to look neglected & rusty? Did you get to talk to the owner or get their name? Do you have any other pics of the coupe?
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dan Macdonald »

We recently had some architectural items powder coated to resemble rust for a shopping center remodel we're designing. It is quite effective although the rust "color" is consistent throughout, while real rusted panels have a lot of variation.
So, maybe the next fad will be to powder coat 356's and their components "rust." :shock:
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Dirk Heinrich
356 Fan

#11 Post by Dirk Heinrich »

I tried to talk to the owner, but let's just forget about it ...

Here it is:

David Ramatowski
356 Fan

Thanks, Barry!

#12 Post by David Ramatowski »

Barry Brisco wrote:Well Mike, as you are asking for opinions, mine is that the car in the photo looks like a rusting, neglected piece of once proud German automotive engineering. I seriously doubt it will be the "next look" but my crystal ball is hazy so I cannot be certain.

To me, "patina" on a 356 means subtle signs of decades of use but not outright neglect and abuse. There are still original paint 356s around that look decent and are not covered with rust. It just requires taking care of them. That does not mean keeping them sealed in plastic wrap in a climate controlled garage: it means keeping the car reasonably clean, waxing the paint, treating the upholstery with the correct products, etc.

I admire a perfectly restored 356 that looks "like new" but I also admire those cars that show their age in a way that indicates their owners looked after them with care.

Best regards,

Barry Brisco

[/quote]

As usual you have added.......an incisive comment to the thread. I don't happen to agree with you, but variety is the spice of life, yes? I think it looks kool.
Last edited by David Ramatowski on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim McGuire
356 Fan

#13 Post by Tim McGuire »

That is one very cooool looking rat coupe. It almost makes me want to save on the paint job for my 1959 Cab restoration and let it go au natural...Almost :wink:

Tim

mike collinoff
356 Fan

Thanks guys

#14 Post by mike collinoff »

Hey Thanks Guys for all of your replies and thanks Dirk for the pictures, I juts stumbled upon it few days , thanks for taking more, you got me started on this now and Mark sorry for the late response but now we are both thankful to Dirk for those pictures. I mean I understand it's nothing to rave about, the "Look", it's just kinda caught my eye and I started to think, for a change, Lol, maybe there's something to this look. Barry also right, guess a good balance of an un restored car but not completely ratted out and destroyed and rusted out either. Thanks for all of your comments, best to Yaa all!.
Mike. :P
Mike C.

Mark Selleck
356 Fan

Look at this Patina !

#15 Post by Mark Selleck »

Just out of curiosity: If a bare car was allowed to do what comes naturally (RUST), how long would it be drivable before the deterioration caused it to start falling apart? Over the years I've had a number of high-carbon-steel cutting implements that were allowed to rust, but then were kept oiled, and they did not ever go past that initial patina (which is what "browning" is). Keeping a car "oiled" would be a continuously demanding task, and if someone in the general public rubbed up against your car they might not be pleased to see some of it come off on their clothing! The other "problem" I can see is how to get a uniform color on the areas that are leaded. I don't know that that would be possible. But, that would create some "interest"....as if the car would need any more than the rust would create. :D I guess a clear-coat over the rust might make a livable situation, but how durable might that be, for how long? Inquiring minds...............
Mark Selleck
Mineral Springs, NC