Herbie Bug

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

Herbie Bug

#1 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Porsche-Powered Herbie #2

Herbie #2 from 1969's The Love Bug is famously known for being the only Porsche-powered Herbie ever built for use in a film. When Dean Jones and Buddy Hackett spin yarns about driving in the Porsche-powered Herbie, they are referring to this car. Originally outfitted with a Super 90 engine, the car also has upgrades of Porsche drum brakes, Koni shock absorbers, and Superior Control Arms which strengthen the rear. The car can be seen in the film with different wheel combinations and even with white brake drums at times. It is believed to be one of the first Herbies ever built and was engineered by EMPI, of Volkswagen high performance fame, during its prime. The car is largely still original right down to its unique four point roll bar, the only original Love Bug roll bar known to still exist. The rounded gusset on the left side provides for easy identification, and it has been noted as stealing the screen by a vast majority during the race sequences in the film. Car is currently owned by the people at Terry's Beetle Service in England.

See car and engine pics at below link;

http://lovebugfans.net/herbie2.htm

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Herbie Bug

#2 Post by David Jones »

I well remember going to watch this movie in 69 with my wife and I driving into town in our 62 VW bug. This was in the small town of
Newark on Trent in the midlands of England. It took at least 20 minutes of driving around to find somewhere to park in the streets around the movie theatre amongst the dozens of other VW bugs that had arrived before us. Of course at that time there were more than a few military bases in the area so that made the likelihood of a lot of VW's being in the area almost a guarantee. I do know that I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Eric Lenius
356 Fan
Tag: More is More

Re: Herbie Bug

#3 Post by Eric Lenius »

Does not look like a super 90 to me.