Jack Staggs' shop

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

Re: Jack Staggs' shop

#256 Post by Alex Mestas »

Very sad news indeed. Kerry is a great mechanic and his presence at Jack's will be missed. Had an opportunity to meet him a few times over the years. I wish him the best in his fight. May the good Lord bless him and his family.
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#257 Post by Jon Schmid »

This is sad to hear about Kerry. Only the best of wishes for him.

jay abrams
356 Fan

#258 Post by jay abrams »

Sad news indeed. Words escape me...…
Jay
jay abrams

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#259 Post by Trevor Gates »

Jack's putting together another 1883 engine with the focus on low end torque. I was sitting in one of the chairs Friday, when I took in this sight and thought this looks pretty cool... an engine being re-born among the controlled chaos of parts everywhere.
Attachments
JS66.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#260 Post by Trevor Gates »

Matt and his daughter stopped by in his 52 Interim bumper car last week. People always flip out when they see this car.
JS67.jpg
Mark Pribanic from Florida has been at the shop all week, getting his 356 dialed in for the drive to Rennsport and subsequent cross country drive back home. Thank God for Jack! 67 years old and still showing us younger guys how it's done - daily! Mark and I started taking things apart last Sunday with Jack's oversight and have been been at it a full week (including this Saturday and Sunday). You name it, we've probably touched it. I'm happy to say that Mark's car drove under it's own power again on Drive Your 356 Day!
JS68.jpg
JS69.jpg
JS70.png

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#261 Post by Mike Wilson »

That's awesome! I'll look for the car when we're up there. Makes our drive from southwest of L.A. seem like a short jaunt compared to Mark's treffen!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#262 Post by Steve Douglas »

I stopped by Jacks shop for a while this morning watched Mark cleaning the crud out from under his coupe. See you all in Monterey.
Attachments
2AA9D508-9382-4AEB-BFD3-4BA98669F13A.jpeg

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#263 Post by Trevor Gates »

From Jack, as posted on the ABCGT forum:

Well, it's time for us to bid a fond farewell to Kerry. The Lord called him home today in the wee hours of the morning. By accounts of those present with him at his time, it was a peaceful passing in his own home, a native son of San Clemente. His impish smile, wry humor, work ethic, and dedication to his friends and family will be missed by all who were fortunate to know him.
Until we meet again dear friend,
God bless you & I love you.
Jack
Attachments
CFE1F14F-C7F7-4BCE-9FEC-9A01DA4209AD.jpeg

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#264 Post by Greg Bryan »

Condolences to his family and friends
Greg Bryan

Felix Macaluso
356 Fan

#265 Post by Felix Macaluso »

Jack,
so sorry to hear the news. Will there be a memorial, and if so, when?
Felix

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#266 Post by Trevor Gates »

Hi Felix,

I spoke with Jack and he wanted me to relay that we will be celebrating Kerry's life at the 356th day gathering this year on Saturday December 22nd.

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#267 Post by Trevor Gates »

Aquamarine metallic A Coupe and a "Parakeet Green" C Coupe. (green color name by Pete :D )
Attachments
JS71.jpg
JS72.jpg

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#268 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Two great colours. Thank you for sharing.

My 56 was originally Aquamarine. I wish Ray, the previous owner, hadn't changed it.

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#269 Post by Trevor Gates »

Sharing a bumper fix here on a B/C car that Jack had at the shop last week. The car was in a fender (bumper) bender. The bumper was taken off the car by the paint shop and straightened out, dent removed, some filler spread and presto chango, dent is gone. Except... the bumper wasn't fit to the car and on one side had what most people would deem an excessive gap between the end of the bumper and the body. No prob though, Jack has a solution.

1. Make a template of the side that wasn't bumped and transfer the template to the side that was; to see where the bumper goes out of alignment. Take your time here, the template doesn't have to be perfect, but should be pretty darn close. These are handmade cars, so there is going to be some variance from side to side. Again, take your time here, check the gap from the bumper to 1)the body, 2)the turn signal, 3)the horn grill opening and 4)the middle of the body. Study these areas for awhile, now take a break and go to the bathroom, or have a short walk around the neighborhood. Now go back and look at all these bumper gaps again.
2. Take a cut off wheel and take a slice out of the exact right spot of the top and bottom of the bumper, no need to cut all the way through where the deco strip is attached at the face of the bumper. Fair warning here - the width of the cut off wheel determines the amount of material taken out and the amount that the bumper will be pushed back together - thereby adjusting the gap at the end of the bumper to the body. The thinnest cut off wheel I'm aware of is made by Dremel (p/n: 409) A small cut moves the end of the bumper a BUNCH. I'm writing "BUNCH" twice to get my point across. a BUNCH!
3. Check your bumper gap - make sure you like it.
4. Strip paint back to expose metal to weld.
5. Put a tack weld in one to two places to align the top and the bottom of the bumper.
6. Remove bumper from car; leave the brackets attached to the bumper, remove the brackets from the body of the car.
7. Strip paint from the backside of the bumper to get a clean surface for welding.
8. Weld
9. Sand down weld.
10. Lastly, have a paint shop strip the rest of the paint and re-paint the bumper.

Presto chango - the gap from the end of the bumper to the body is good. :D

Hopefully I didn't miss any steps and others can benefit from this. It only took an afternoon to do these steps, something an enthusiast with a welder or a buddy who welds, could do on the cheap and then take the car and bumper to a paint shop.
Attachments
JS73.jpg
JS74.jpg
JS75.jpg
JS76.jpg

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#270 Post by Trevor Gates »

Jack drilling a couple holes in a freshly painted car. Funny thing is... Jack says some guys will stay and watch, others go for a short walk around the block.
Attachments
JS77.jpg