84832 '58 Speedster strip down pre paint.

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Steve Raucher
356 Fan

84832 '58 Speedster strip down pre paint.

#1 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hello all,
Going to be moving forward in the coming weeks with bare metal paint job on my Speedster.
I plan on taking most parts off myself and sanding most paint off myself. Likely will remove hood, doors, deck lid and bumpers to farm out to sand media blaster and he will lay down primer on them to avoid rust.
Been reading posts about door handle push button locks and the drama at times involved once re chroming takes place.Would like to avoid this any suggestions?
My push button cylinders are pitted and need some help. What have you all done? Replace them and have different key and or take to locksmith so original key will work? I will re chrome the handles.
Anyone kept their original push button and re chromed the handle only? Pros/cons?
Also plan on re chroming the windshield posts and likely the top chrome of windshield. The very bottom thin frame of windshield what material is this? Can it be re chromed?
I know this is a fragile and rare piece what to do with it to make it pop again?
Rear deck lid grill is tired and old. Sierra Madra claims to have a good repop grill is this a good way to go?
Any insight or experiences you all have had that could make my experience better and easier is appreciated.
Regards,
Steve

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

Re: Moving forward with paint job Speedster.

#2 Post by Jules Dielen »

I would personally keep and restore as many of the original parts as possible. It will be (much) more expensive but they are 'real' parts and what came with the car. Experts will recognize a repro part in a heartbeat.

Victor miles restored everything for my car and it is flawless. He also did some early door handles, the ignition switch and some other parts for my '52 with the same result. Absolutely worth every penny. And you get to keep the correct key for your car.

The bottom part for the winshield is chromed brass I believe. It will come back like new.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#3 Post by Jim Liberty »

+1 Jules. .........Jim.
Jim Liberty

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steve Raucher »

Thanks for chiming in all.
I know of Victor and his long back log of jobs/wait time.
Since he does not do the chrome work on the door handles, what exactly does he do?
Refit the newly chromed push button lock mech to the handle so original key can be used?
Steve

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#5 Post by Jim Liberty »

The push button/lock need to be removed and dismantled. The one thing you might keep in mind, chrome is often different in color. "Do it once - do it right". Victor will hang up his spurs one day, get in the que while you can. ..........Jim.
Jim Liberty

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#6 Post by Steve Proctor »

+1 on Victor. One of a kind. If he decides to retire, the discriminating 356 community is screwed.

Steve, if it were me, I would be inclined to have the painter do all of the stripping and priming. That way, there is only one guy responsible for the whole job and there is no wiggle room for excuses if there are problems. If not, the painter has the opportunity to blame any problems on the guy that did the primer, whether true or not. You might discuss with him, but you are sitting on a ~$250K car, so I would not scrimp.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Raucher »

Yes Steve point taken.
The body shop I will use works directly with the media blaster I will deliver body parts to.
They know each other.
Love your Ruby red Speedster. Still torn on what color to paint mine. Have been leaning into original Ruby red.
Spoke to Willhoit about best color for max sale price when I decide to sell.
As this is non original engine John suggested Black, Silver or Aquamarine blue.
My interior is black dash pad, seats and door cards, oatmeal carpet really do not want to change so the blue is likely out although I do like it.
Always liked Silver but usually carpet is black, so that leaves Ruby….
Steve

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#8 Post by Steve Proctor »

Good that all your people work well together. Understand your dilemma about color. To be honest, even though my first two cars were red, and throughout the years I've owned three red trucks and three red Porsches including the Speedster, red is not my favorite color. I actually think it is a negative when in a car show as the unique colors really stand out in a row of red cars. Good luck with your choice.
Last edited by Steve Proctor on Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#9 Post by Martin Benade »

My cab is ruby red at my wife’s request, it looks wonderful. But I’ll never stop wishing it was still black.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#10 Post by Steve Raucher »

Soliciting opinions on how black or Silver paint would look with my interior being oatmeal carpets black seats etc.
Or would Charcoal carpet be most appropriate.
Really don’t want murdered out all dark car in black.
Steve

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#11 Post by Martin Benade »

My cab is ruby red at my wife’s request, it looks wonderful. But I’ll never stop wishing it was still black on black.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

Steve, I have pics of the '58 Speedster my friend Jesse (r.i.p.) once owned. Silver, black interior, oatmeal carpet. Too many to post here so I'll forward them to you.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jay Darlington »

Steve , you should talk with whoever is going to paint the car. MOST painters won't touch a car thats been prepped by an amateur at best. to many liabilities especially with a car like this and the amount of money involved. its also important to get an undercoat on the lead as soon as posible ( it starts to oxidize immediately). for old lead thats been treated before, it gets striped then wiped off with a good wax and grease remover then coated with a good epoxy primer.
Jay D.
jay darlington

David Campbell
356 Fan

#14 Post by David Campbell »

https://www.colors.rs/d/show?p=ENvTEh8pxqQjpDTF

I can appreciate the reservation about red as an exterior color but Polyantha Red is one I would love for a bare metal color change on an early series 356.
1961 B Coupe
1966 VW Type I
1987 944 NA
2000 Boxster S

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jules Dielen »

Stone gray is nice on an A car... but I am a little biased 😎
Attachments
IMG_0068.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.