They are still out there

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
John Wurner
356 Fan

They are still out there

#1 Post by John Wurner »

Here are some pics of a true barn find last year in Oregon.
1958 Cabrio sold with hard top only, the dealer at the time did not have the Coupe the customer wanted so he sold him a cabrio with hard top only. Car was originally black.
John

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#2 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Cool pics. Thanks for posting them.

I agree, they are still out there...Here's one we found in Jax, Florida last year. Not in a barn, but hidden from view for years. This was bought well below market. So the good deals are out there!

1963 Super 90

Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

Oh, yeah, they are still out there. Like the 58 Speedster I found last year. One of a total of Five 356's I bought from a hot rod guy. He is now into all American Muscle, but he used to be into Porsches. If you saw this guy cruising in his SS Chevelle, you would never think to ask if he has any Porsches.
This is not even getting into the parts he had. We bought the entire contents of his barn. It was all in a loft of an old hay barn. The tricky part was the floor was made out of particle board and rotten, there were engines falling through the floor onto the tractors below.
We came up with a cool system. We stopped at Home Depot and grabbed two 2X10X15's, and made a V, as a walkway. Then I spent an entire afternoon Spidermaning my way around and passing parts back, it was dirty, stinky, raccoon do-do day, but great all at the same time.
You just never know...
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#4 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Adam,
Was the Speedster found in the Northeast?
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

PaulLear
356 Fan

"Field Find"

#5 Post by PaulLear »

A friend of a friend told me of "an old Porsche with weeds growing out of it" up near my lake house (that's the only clue I'm giving out on this one). The car is "Not For Sale" says the owner who has promised it to his son. I figure I'll drive by it from time to time to see if it's still there, and perhaps... this will be my Next, next, next project.

Re: "Field Find"

#6 Post by Guest »

PaulLear wrote:A friend of a friend told me of "an old Porsche with weeds growing out of it" up near my lake house (that's the only clue I'm giving out on this one). The car is "Not For Sale" says the owner who has promised it to his son.
There was one of these finds in my neighborhood, Paul. A '60 Normal. The son did get it, though there had been attempts by others to rescue it long before.
The car had sat outside for many years and was up to the axles in muck when it was dragged out.
After going through several hurricanes and the constant humidity, the interior was gone, too.
Everything above about 18" from the ground was pretty clean, but below.. a different story.
It went to a friend's VERY reputable shop, a guy that specializes in vintage resto & repairs, not just Porsches.
Amazingly, the original engine ran after the usual ministrations, so the kid thought it would be a simple thing to get it on the road.
He had a meltdown and tried to sue over the $4000.00 cost of replacing the pans and longitudinals.
Luckily, the judge agreed with my friend that was a pretty reasonable price and tossed the case.

If you DO end up with the nature car pictured, good luck. :wink:

Rick Cicciarelli
356 Fan

#7 Post by Rick Cicciarelli »

Yeah...I think of all of the ones pictured in this thread I'd probably like most to come into the the white garage "shelving unit" that Mark posted. 8)