Pictures of 356's in original paint colors

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Keon Achak
356 Fan

#91 Post by Keon Achak »

Just received my Dad's '59 356A Coupe. Apparently he has outgrown the hobby and no longer has time for it so, being an auto enthusiast, I eagerly told him I would babysit it for him :)

Unfortunately, I know nothing about these cars. I own a track car that I autocross regularly so I am a little out of my element here.

I have to admit that these old 356's are very pretty. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Dirk Heinrich
356 Fan

#92 Post by Dirk Heinrich »

Noek - very nice, the car looks great. It's a 59 Coupe undoubtedly the prettiest and best of all 356 (opinions here oddly enough might differ). If you want to meet the guys, you should go to TALK rather than this Gallery.

First thing you should do, is adjusting the direction of the button in the middle of the steering wheel:
- It is good news, if you CANNOT rotate the plastic button in the chrome ring. In this case you take a 4" thin long object (I use a thin but long allan wrench) find the two holes in the back of the steering wheel, and gently but firmly push the hole thing with the chrome housing out and just put it back in the right position (180 around).
- If you CAN rotate the plastic while the chrome ring doesn't move, you need a little more time and patience and are welcome to pm or email me for support :)

Welcome again,
Dirk

Keon Achak
356 Fan

#93 Post by Keon Achak »

Dirk,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tip about the steering wheel (it doesn't turn, I've tried several times and hopefully haven't tweaked it in the process). I will definitely take your advice and get it straightened out.

The first thing I did was to try to eliminate the strong gas odor inside the cab by changing the fuel reservoir petcock as it appeared to be leaking. I kept the original because after taking it apart, everything looked like it was in pretty good shape still, however, the hose leaving the petcock and going through the firewall did not have a clamp on it, so perhaps that was the culprit. There is still a light gas odor and I think I will replace the gas cap gasket (blue) next. It also looks like it is in decent shape, but who knows.

Future projects on the car will include rebuilding the windshield washer system, bungee cord hold down for rear seat (I threw this away thinking it was a quick fix to hold the seat up and read later that this was the oem solution, I'm an idiot), and a leather tire strap for the spare.

Anyway, I will head over to the talk forum like you suggested and thanks again for the welcome.

Regards,

Keon

james grayley
356 Fan

Re: orange

#94 Post by james grayley »

Jean-Luc CRIADO wrote:option color, for additional information to the post of Anna Slydel....
JLC

Is this definitely 'Orange 5711' ? Anyone know, or have other pics of the colour? It looks a very different colour to the orange car earlier in the thread.

Steve Joslin
356 Fan

#95 Post by Steve Joslin »

James,

This is a picture of my car at '08 Classics at Heddingham Castle - Essex, UK. At the time of taking the picture the car has been refinished in an incorrect shade of orange. The colour in the picture is way off the factory colour, which I am now please to say it has been put back to.

Regards

Steve

james grayley
356 Fan

#96 Post by james grayley »

Hi Steve,
I was quite enjoying the incorrect colour to be honest!

james.

Steve Joslin
356 Fan

#97 Post by Steve Joslin »

Thanks James!

Actually it received a lot of complements in that colour!

S

Cameron Graham
356 Fan

another Orange A

#98 Post by Cameron Graham »

This has recently been superbly restored and lives on Sydney's Northern Beaches, one of 3 x 356s in the family.....driven daily by an elegant lady who predates the first Porsche road car by quite some years....:wink:

It is factory orange, however it appears red in these photos

Sean Davis
356 Fan

UK Calling . . . . My 1959 356A

#99 Post by Sean Davis »

hope you like it..........
Sean Davis

Bob Frederking
356 Fan

#100 Post by Bob Frederking »

Another completely original car. Bob is the original owner - picked it up at the factory in April 1965 and the car has never been restored though it has its share of stone chips on the front. This was taken last year at West Baden Springs and we've just returned from Cleveland.

Signal Red

Well, I tried to post the picture, but I can't figure out the image uploader. You can see it by our name.
Last edited by Bob Frederking on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burke Bell
356 Fan

#101 Post by Burke Bell »

Here is my '64 Light Ivory. I bought her from the original owner and still have the original books and window sticker!
1964 356C coupe
SN 216 929
Burke Bell

Jim Blaschke
356 Fan

Re: Pictures of 356's in original paint colors

#102 Post by Jim Blaschke »

There is also the possibility that when the painter mixed the paint, he did not shake and stir the paint before mixing.. Some pigments are heavier than others, and if you have ever mixed paint before you know what I mean. Did the paint set for a while, and the painter gave it a couple of stirs with a stick and said its good enough? I have personally seen this before with a GREEN 51 buick I did.

Jim Blaschke
356 Fan

Re: NOT QUITE ORIGINAL COLOR

#103 Post by Jim Blaschke »

Kevin Wiggins wrote:
JOEL JENSEN wrote: The color is Palm Green or at least a variation of it. Eric Mayer is the owner of the car and I believe he modified the color somewhat
No, its Pastel Green, a VW color available on early 50's VW's.
1953 VW. I really liked this car and color also.

Brett Meyer
356 Fan

#104 Post by Brett Meyer »

Lots of real nice colors shown!
1960 Rubyred with light grey interior

'60 Roadster -87234- Mom & Dad purchased in 1960

Carl Zapffe
356 Fan
Tag: Flying down country roads in Door County

#105 Post by Carl Zapffe »

Hi, Brett, my fellow Roadster buddy in Wisconsin! 8) I love that Ruby Red, but, more importantly, I am fascinated by that color combination. That is a VERY unusual color pairing. Usually the 356 reds come with a black or a tan interior. You're very lucky! I love it! 8)
Carl Zapffe
Fräulein Zuffie