Flywheel teeth munged

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Alan Pershing
356 Fan

Flywheel teeth munged

#1 Post by Alan Pershing »

I was having a starting issue on my 61 356B; sometimes the starter would engage with the flywheel and sometimes not, emitting a winch-inducing grinding sound. When I bought the car 7 years ago, the engine had been rebuilt and the electrical system converted from 6V to 12V. I decided to replace the starter and had such a struggle with the top bolt, had to drop the engine to get to it (a pin had been welded onto the starter bolt head, unbeknownst to me). When I dropped the engine, it was clear I had an issue with the flywheel which has two sections of pretty munged up teeth. When I finally got the starter out, I found that it was a 6V starter. After reading a bit, it seems like running a 6V starter on a 12V system is a really bad idea and is probably the reason the flywheel teeth are damaged.

This discussion started in another thread about flywheel endplay and one of the moderators suggested I start a new thread since we'd moved over to discussing munged flywheel teeth, so here we are. I'm in the process of putting everything back together (12V starter, new flywheel, clutch, etc.) and wanted to make sure that, other than the starter, there isn't anything else I need to be aware of that could be damaging the flywheel.

The pictures are posting sideways, but the damage is pretty obvious.
Attachments
IMG_2907.jpg
IMG_2906.jpg
IMG_2946.jpg
IMG_2945.jpg