"o" ring for third casing part

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Bruce jamieson
356 Fan

"o" ring for third casing part

#1 Post by Bruce jamieson »

I am rebuilding 1963/64 Porsche 356 engine. On the lower right hand side of the 3rd casing part there is an oil galley which should have a small extrusion around which I place the special "o" ring from the gasket set.
I do not have the extrusion either on the 3rd piece or the engine casing itself.
This does not appear to be a seperate part so how do I fit the "o" ring in place.??

Do I get a machine shop to make a small tube insert with a "collar" around which goes the "o" ring?

Thanx
Bruce

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: "o" ring for third casing part

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Not following you. Do you have a photo?

Bruce jamieson
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bruce jamieson »

On the lower right side of the 3rd engine part and also the engine casing itself, there is an oil galley - hole. In all the other oil holes in the casing there is a fitting that comes with the "seal kit". For this particular lower right hole there is a special "o" ring that is designed just for the 1963/64 casings. This "o" ring is supposed to fit over a small tube collar that sticks out of the hole. My 3rd piece and casing do not have this collar.
Do I have one built then pressed into the hole? Maybe I skip the "0" ring and put another kind of seal into the hole.

In the "Inner Circle" video, he describes this collar and "o" ring.

Hope this helps.
Thanx
Bruce

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Vic Skirmants »

That is the oil pickup tube. Push it more toward the timing cover; it should be movable

Bruce jamieson
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bruce jamieson »

OK, I moved it slightly. Now with the "o" ring around the slight protrusion of the oil pick-up, there is not a beveled edge in the 3rd piece cover. How do I compress the "o" ring with no beveled edge for it to fit into.

Would using the gasket and some silicone seal be OK in this instance? Thus avoiding the "o" ring and getting a solid face to face between the casing and the 3rd piece.
Thanx
Bruce

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#6 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Photo, please. If you don't have the beveled recess, then you don't have the later setup. If you have the flared pickup tube, then you don't have a need for the O-ring.
You only need the gasket to make the seal.
I'm thinking you don't have a 1964 case.