Tachometer inop.

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Patrick Kevin Smith
356 Fan

Tachometer inop.

#1 Post by Patrick Kevin Smith »

The needle of my 64C tachometer was broken and lying at the bottom of the gauge when I bought the car last year. I had the tachometer rebuilt and installed a new tach cable and oil seal. After installing the cable, I left the gauge end of the cable
unattached to ensure cable rotation prior to hooking the cable up to the tach. After starting the engine, no cable rotation, but could feel vibration through the cable. I have pulled the cable and "reset" the cable to ensure engagement at the oil pump
and still no rotation. Can the tach drive in the oil pump fail and is this common? Is this an easy fix?

Thank You,

Pat

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Tachometer inop.

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

It's still not engaging fully in the drive. I've never seen a failed tach drive; but anything is possible. Pull the cable off at the engine and see if the drive is rotating. I have had to use needle-nose pliers to ensure engagement of the cable.

Patrick Kevin Smith
356 Fan

#3 Post by Patrick Kevin Smith »

Thank You for the tip! Maybe the cable is about 1/4' to 1/2" too short for the casing. The original casing was in very good condition so I just changed the cable. I fed the cable through from the dash and there is a small white plastic disc to keep the cable from going too far into the casing. I was considering removing the disc to allowing the cable to slide into the casing a bit further. Or, is it possible to stretch the new cable a bit? I used a Porsche brand cable and is in the original cable casing.

Thanks,

Pat

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Try putting the cable in with the plastic disc at the engine end.

Patrick Kevin Smith
356 Fan

#5 Post by Patrick Kevin Smith »

Will do when I get back in town. Thanks Vic. I really appreciate the help.

Pat

Patrick Kevin Smith
356 Fan

#6 Post by Patrick Kevin Smith »

The cable would only go in one way. I removed the plastic collar and put the end of the cable in with needle nose pliers as you suggested and ''wallah'. Works great. Thank You very much for all of the suggestions.

Pat

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dick Weiss »

The tach cable (insert?) is inserted from the front end--the little plastic(?) ball keeps the cable from getting detached from the instrument and still allows fitment to the oil pump's tach drive shaft.
Make sure the shaft seal is correctly fitted along w/the shim which lightly squeezes the seal when snugging-up the ring nut.

Kaid Marouf
356 Fan

#8 Post by Kaid Marouf »

I ordered a new tach cable insert from Stoddard, but the cable won't go into the sheath far enough, because the end of the cable that has the added square piece is to thick and won't allow the cable to sit far enough inside the sheath.
I've tried inserting the cable from both ends, but there is no difference. Also, what is the small plastic piece that comes with the cable? Any help is appreciated.
IMG_0684.jpg
IMG_0684.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 1061 times
IMG_0683.jpg
IMG_0683.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 1061 times
IMG_0682.jpg
IMG_0682.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 1061 times