Need help with Steel Carrera GT steel oil lines

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Perry DePietro
356 Fan

Need help with Steel Carrera GT steel oil lines

#1 Post by Perry DePietro »

I am hoping someone can help me. I posted this in the "Outlaw" forum a few minutes ago, but thought maybe I could tap into another group on the Registry by asking my question here as well.

In 2001, when I started what was then a GT clone project, around that time, I purchased the hard GT steel lines/fittings to install a front oil cooler. I don't have the original receipts, so I don't know if I bought it from Spyder Sports or GT Werks, etc. I am to the point that I want to start installing the lines. Attached is a pix of the fittings/a bag of line clamps and one of the 15mm ID steel lines.

1) I assume that I have to flair the tube ends in order for them to seat in the fittings. I have a metric and USA flair tool bar. Neither bar seems to have a size that holds the tubing snuggly enough to flare the end. Does anyone know a) Do I need to fare the ends?, and b) assuming I do, how do you flare a 15mm ID steel tube?

2) If I were to decide to get conical alloy washers to help get at tight seal, what size would I need? 12N? 16N?

Thank you in advance.

Perry DePietro
356 Fan

Re: Need help with Steel Carrera GT steel oil lines

#2 Post by Perry DePietro »

I am so grateful for this community. I don't know what I would have done had I tried to tackle this job without guidance (probably screwed it up I would guess).

I wanted to thank Bill Sargent. I found a thread he posted 11 yrs ago on this topic. I emailed him and he called me right back. He steered me toward the company that has the patent on these fittings. If anyone wants to go down this daunting road, the link is below. As it turns out, the original fittings were not flared. Thank you again Bill.

https://www.parker.com/literature/Tube% ... lation.pdf

Jim Wayman
Registry President

Re: Need help with Steel Carrera GT steel oil lines

#3 Post by Jim Wayman »

The ends of the originals were not flared. They used compression sleeves that permanently attached to the tubing once the threaded fitting was tightened down.
Jim Wayman