'61 356 Project

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: '61 356 Project

#61 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I NEVER use the factory pushrod tubes. In our race engines,they ALWAYS crack, so I prefer not to use them in a street engine also.
WAY BACK in time, when the tubes were made of a heavier, more malleable material, we always stretched them and re-used. Very few failures.
If you try to stretch one of the newer tubes, you can hear them "crinkle".

C J Murray
356 Fan

#62 Post by C J Murray »

Vic Skirmants wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:30 am you can hear them "crinkle".
Vic, that was your bowl of Rice Krispies!

I agree, don't use the stock tubes.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#63 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Trying to understand where this brass bushing goes? Also, besides the shims for adjusting the fan belt tension, is there a way to move the generator back or forward? It seems not likely but I'm probably missing something. Second picture shows reveal between end of fan and the housing piece.
IMG_3592.JPG
IMG_3592.JPG (52.31 KiB) Viewed 1830 times
IMG_3593.JPG
IMG_3593.JPG (80.18 KiB) Viewed 1830 times
IMG_3588.JPG
IMG_3588.JPG (802.17 KiB) Viewed 1830 times
Author / Photojournalist

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#64 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Ken Tuvman wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:31 pm Trying to understand where this brass bushing goes? Also, besides the shims for adjusting the fan belt tension, is there a way to move the generator back or forward? It seems not likely but I'm probably missing something. Second picture shows reveal between end of fan and the housing piece.
Did you have the fan off the generator? It could be part of the stack of parts associated with the fan mounting on the generator shaft. It looks like something I've seen when replacing generator bearings. If it is not installed, that may be the cause for the fan gap to the shroud. Should be about 3mm between the fan impeller and the plate mounted to the generator. download/file.php?id=71125

Looking back through your photos, I see that you DID have the fan off. Check that assembly again.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

Re: '61 356 Project - almost all together again

#65 Post by Ken Tuvman »

EFA51962-4E53-4B3A-81C4-B747286E3FFE.jpeg
EFA51962-4E53-4B3A-81C4-B747286E3FFE.jpeg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 1791 times
Author / Photojournalist

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#66 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Mark Sabbann wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:48 am
Ken Tuvman wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:31 pm Trying to understand where this brass bushing goes? Also, besides the shims for adjusting the fan belt tension, is there a way to move the generator back or forward? It seems not likely but I'm probably missing something. Second picture shows reveal between end of fan and the housing piece.
Did you have the fan off the generator? It could be part of the stack of parts associated with the fan mounting on the generator shaft. It looks like something I've seen when replacing generator bearings. If it is not installed, that may be the cause for the fan gap to the shroud. Should be about 3mm between the fan impeller and the plate mounted to the generator. download/file.php?id=71125

Looking back through your photos, I see that you DID have the fan off. Check that assembly again.
Hi Mark - it seems the bushing doesn't belong in our assembly - The car came with a spare generator and I'd dropped it off to the generator shop and when it was ready, I asked him to check the existing generator that came off the engine and was assembled - he took it apart so he could have the generator and put the fan and parts in a box - it's possible the bushing we found was on his work bench and he accidentally threw it in the box - I did see an exploded view of the generator and it looks like it belongs inside a generator and hopefully not mine!
Author / Photojournalist

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#67 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Sounds good Ken. You might want to turn your coil upside down, it's usually mounted that way.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#68 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Thanks, Mark - I've been corresponding with Dick Weiss who overhauled the lower end and he also pointed out a few things that need correcting. How's your motor project coming along and what did you decide to use for P/C?
Author / Photojournalist

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#69 Post by Mark Sabbann »

We are waiting on parts that are due next week and re-assembly will happen shortly thereafter. I went with the Neutek cam, J&E pistons and Shasta cylinders. Should be fun. Your engine looks really good!
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#70 Post by Bill Lawless »

That was a fun read, brings back memories..
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#71 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Bill Lawless wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:48 am That was a fun read, brings back memories..
Not sure why I'm a "sucker" for these projects - I'd be money ahead just buying something already fixed up but it's an interesting journey doing it this way and meeting new people who have their various bits of expertise in the restoration process. What was really interesting was working with an experienced engine builder putting the top end together and learning about tolerances and how close they are - I'm pretty familiar with torque values but when you get into thousandths, deck height, flywheel end play - that's really interesting and I still don't quite understand it but I guess if I went to an engine building school or worked in a shop, I'd know more about it.
Author / Photojournalist

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#72 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Mark Sabbann wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:38 am We are waiting on parts that are due next week and re-assembly will happen shortly thereafter. I went with the Neutek cam, J&E pistons and Shasta cylinders. Should be fun. Your engine looks really good!
Leonard @ Shasta is a pretty good guy and will take your calls if you have questions along your reassembly but since your engine is at a shop specializing in German engines, you're in good hands. On another forum, his products were suggested over other brands. Good Luck Mark!
Author / Photojournalist

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#73 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Ken Tuvman wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:13 am
Bill Lawless wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:48 am That was a fun read, brings back memories..
Not sure why I'm a "sucker" for these projects - I'd be money ahead just buying something already fixed up but it's an interesting journey doing it this way and meeting new people who have their various bits of expertise in the restoration process. What was really interesting was working with an experienced engine builder putting the top end together and learning about tolerances and how close they are - I'm pretty familiar with torque values but when you get into thousandths, deck height, flywheel end play - that's really interesting and I still don't quite understand it but I guess if I went to an engine building school or worked in a shop, I'd know more about it. Dick Weiss overhauled the lower part of the engine and on the top end reassembly, we'd work in 3-4 hour sessions and I prepared a "Lesson Plan" for each session and had notes from Harry Pellow, the Elfrink book and another book - the manual I'd bought, "Secrets of the Inner Circle" didn't have pictures but once you're past all his anecdotes, there's really good step by step instructions on re-installing for each component. We're pretty confidant we have a nice strong fresh engine.
Author / Photojournalist

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#74 Post by Bill Lawless »

Ken Tuvman wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:18 am
Ken Tuvman wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:13 am
Not sure why I'm a "sucker" for these projects - I'd be money ahead just buying something already fixed up but it's an interesting journey doing it this way and meeting new people who have their various bits of expertise in the restoration process. What was really interesting was working with an experienced engine builder putting the top end together and learning about tolerances and how close they are - I'm pretty familiar with torque values but when you get into thousandths, deck height, flywheel end play - that's really interesting and I still don't quite understand it but I guess if I went to an engine building school or worked in a shop, I'd know more about it. Dick Weiss overhauled the lower part of the engine and on the top end reassembly, we'd work in 3-4 hour sessions and I prepared a "Lesson Plan" for each session and had notes from Harry Pellow, the Elfrink book and another book - the manual I'd bought, "Secrets of the Inner Circle" didn't have pictures but once you're past all his anecdotes, there's really good step by step instructions on re-installing for each component. We're pretty confidant we have a nice strong fresh engine.
Nice job!
Here is a good online rebuild with pictures.. It reads very similar to Harry "Secrets"..
https://porsche356enginebuild.blogspot. ... mment-form
I'm right behind you, doing my End-Play now..
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#75 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Bill - I’ve an R65LS & R60/6 - I guess we’re airheads 😀
Author / Photojournalist