'61 356 Project

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

'61 356 Project

#1 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Hi Everybody - my first post here as a new member. We live in the Twin Cities :D

My son works at a shop in MN and a long-time customer was moving and had this car to sell and we bought it as a father/son project. It's currently red but the numbers say it was originally Ivory - the person we purchased it from was the 3rd or 4th owner - Mr. Vic Skirmants owned it at one time and the person he sold it to may have raced it as it was painted red and had a hole in the hood with a racing style fuel cap - someone along the way patched the hole.

Car sat in under a cover for a number of years and we're doing lots of maintenance to get her on the road.

So far:
    we replaced the soft and hard brake lines and the drum slave cylinders - the brakes seem to be in good shape - while we were at it we bought a new master cylinder and reservoir as the old one was in pretty bad shape. Brakes should be good to go.
      fuel tank was sent out and was acid etched and relined and primed by a tank shop - we have yet to paint it and plan to spray it matte black. I bought a rebuild kit for the petcock valve. Pulling the fuel pump and may send it off for professional service - we have a new Porsche oem diaphragm that was in the parts box and it seems pretty pliable - not sure what else there is to do but did meet Ed Fall at the LAX Stoddards swap meet and know he has a good reputation. Car currently has Webers on it and plan is to overhaul them as I'm told they're easier to tune. Have a kit for them - I do have the original Zeniths but will follow advice from the shop mechanics where son works and start out with the Webers. We'll be putting on new fuel line throughout.

We have new split axle boots purchased from Stoddard's and transaxle seals - understand we're to position in the 10 and 2 o'clock position - existing boots are split and someone put small nuts and bolts where seam is - not sure this is necessary or is it?

Previous owner installed an electronic ignition - I'd like to go back to points but will start out with existing setup.

Seats have covers on them and plan to get them removed and the seats rebuilt - would like to do this here in MN and currently considering buying a kit and rebuilding innards before recovering - may farm it out - not sure yet.

Tires are completely shot - dropping wheels to sandblaster this week and plan to rattle can in the Napa Silver DE 1615 and then clear coat.

I'd like to get the Michelin XZX 165SR15's but doesn't look like they're available but did see a website Coker Tire - read some good reviews on the Vredesteins but they don't come in the size I need unless the 155SR15's are comparable.

Lots to do but the car is all there - engine cranks and pops - once fuel system is ready to go we'll get serious about starting her - seller says transmission was overhauled by Vic Skirmants and is geared more for racing but I guess we'll find out - he reports the cars shifts smoothly and the engine had good compression - I've got his readings - from August 1982 - I know that's a long time ago! Cylinder 1: 135 2: 135. 3: 130. 4:130
      Engine has some engraving on it and serial number is 88589 - owners notes say chassis and engine are same as hem and it was the 168th car off the line in 1961.

Looking forward to sharing our project as we progress . . . Hope to have her running and driving by April 23rd.
      Author / Photojournalist

Adam Wright
      Classifieds Monitor
      Tag: KTF

Re: '61 356 Project

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

Welcome to the Registry, post some pics!
      www.unobtanium-inc.com
      Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Vic Skirmants
      Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Welcome aboard, Ken. What is the transmission number? Chassis number?

Doug McDonnell
      356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

You were a baby when you sold it in 76 Vic. Chassis # 115089 Bill Westcott ,ex Skirmants Aug 76 ex John Goodspeed sold in March 72 Pano No transmission number listed in the VIN DB
      Last edited by Doug McDonnell on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
      1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Doug McDonnell
      356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

And Welcome to the Registry
      1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Ken Tuvman
      356 Fan

#6 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Thanks for your comments - we haven't gotten the grease off the transaxle yet but will add tranny # to my avatar at a future point in time.

Looking for new tire suggestions and where to buy at a reasonable cost.

Is there a way to upload pics or just links?
      Author / Photojournalist

Doug McDonnell
      356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

You can get Michelin xzx from Coker tire if you want period correct. 165SR15 https://www.cokertire.com/tires/brands/ ... n-xzx.html The sprint classics in 165hr15 have the same diameter 25.40 : https://www.cokertire.com/tires/brands/ ... -tire.html
      Last edited by Doug McDonnell on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ken Tuvman
      356 Fan

Re: '61 356 / Tires

#8 Post by Ken Tuvman »

I've read the Vredestein Sprint Classic Series Tire 155SR15 is a good value tire for my car - the old tires we took off are Michelin 165 SR 15 - thinking the Vredesteins size will be okay - any other suggestions for a reasonably priced tire?

Tire Rack looks to have their own brand called Classic - it's rated as an ALL SEASON - SIZE: 165/80R15 - any thoughts on this brand vs the Vredestein?
      Author / Photojournalist

David Jones
      Classifieds Moderator
      Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#9 Post by David Jones »

You can buy new Michelins from Longstone tires way cheaper than Coker and free shipping. There are also other sizes that fit like 175 x 15 and 185 x 15. I like the Kumho 185 x 15 on my "C" but I plan on trying some 175's but they will lower the gearing slightly as they are a smaller diameter by 1 inch.
      Here is the Longstone ad for Michelin. https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... n-xzx.html

155 x 15 are too small. Go for 165 or more
      If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
      Cymru am byth
      David Jones #9715

Doug McDonnell
      356 Fan

#10 Post by Doug McDonnell »

One review of the Classic from Tirerack mentioned not good in rain. I would go with XZX or 165hr15 vredestein David you only save $6 for 4 tires per website but I bet the free shipping saves a bunch as you point out.

Ken Tuvman
      356 Fan

#11 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Doug McDonnell wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:46 am You can get Michelin xzx from Coker tire if you want period correct. 165SR15 https://www.cokertire.com/tires/brands/ ... n-xzx.html The sprint classics in 165hr15 have the same diameter 25.40 : https://www.cokertire.com/tires/brands/ ... -tire.html
      Thanks so much Doug - sorry for posting a redundant question - promise not to ask which oil to use :D
      Author / Photojournalist

Doug McDonnell
      356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I remember seeing used 356s on a sports car lot South of downtown before the area was rehabbed. This would have been about 1974 when I was in school there at U of M. Heck there were even a few 356s in Fargo in the 60s when I grew up. No dumb questions here Ken.

David Jones
      Classifieds Moderator
      Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#13 Post by David Jones »

Hey Doug, last time I looked at Coker they were pricing the Michelins around $150 I thought and last time I looked at Longstone they were $400 for a set. Prices seem to go up and down every time I look.
      If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
      Cymru am byth
      David Jones #9715

Vic Skirmants
      Registry Hall of Fame

#14 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Doug McDonnell wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:12 am You were a baby when you sold it in 76 Vic. Chassis # 115089 Bill Westcott ,ex Skirmants Aug 76 ex John Goodspeed sold in March 72 Pano No transmission number listed in the VIN DB
      Made $111 profit on it. Engine was 88589 when I had it. Sure don't remember re-gearing the trans for racing; I call BS on that one. Unless I did it years later for a subsequent owner.

Ken Tuvman
      356 Fan

Re: '61 356 Project / Fuel Pump Gaskets / Fuel Petcock

#15 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Good Morning,

We're going through the fuel pump and have a question about the number of gaskets to place between pump and engine casing - Stoddard's shows a set of (3) and a single gasket.

Thought I'd read about lubricating the unit before reinstalling - if so what is proper way to do this.

Petcock Valve - we're also rebuilding fuel cock assembly - are there any instructions on the forum? Have done BMW motorcycle petcocks and can't be too much different but instructions would be helpful.

Any info here is appreciated.

Thank You,

Ken
      Attachments
      Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 8.49.45 AM.png
      Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 8.49.45 AM.png (380.58 KiB) Viewed 4004 times
      Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 8.46.19 AM.png
      Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 8.46.19 AM.png (836.69 KiB) Viewed 4004 times
      Author / Photojournalist