'61 T5 Notchback

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Joshua Bailey
356 Fan

'61 T5 Notchback

#1 Post by Joshua Bailey »

Hi, I am new to the forums and this is my first Porsche. I have been a VW guy for years and still am, but I have wanted a 356 for quite a while. I like the lines of the Notchbacks, so I pulled the trigger and purchased a T5. Of course it needed up needing more work than what was expected.

So my questions now lie with sheet metal and repair panels. I notice looking through vendors that the stampings tend to vary. Which companies have the most correct stampings and which companies panels fit the best? Currently I am looking at battery floors, floors, gas tank floors, front outer wheel wells, front and rear fender braces. Also do all 356s have the heat shield panel that goes below the engine shelf? I would like to hear opinions from people who have purchased and installed. I also would hate to install a panel and find the stamping to be incorrect for the year after all the work of installing. Any help would be appreciated.
61-3.jpg
61-3.jpg (107.37 KiB) Viewed 2739 times
61-5.jpg
61-5.jpg (99.49 KiB) Viewed 2739 times
61-10.jpg
61-10.jpg (115.91 KiB) Viewed 2739 times
61-7.jpg
61-7.jpg (84.28 KiB) Viewed 2739 times
61 1.jpg
61 1.jpg (108.58 KiB) Viewed 2739 times

Thanks
Josh

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: '61 T5 Notchback

#2 Post by David Jones »

Welcome Josh, for all your sheet metal I would recommend you just go to restoration design and buy it all. Mike will probably answer all your questions a well, and depending on where you are if you are in Michigan you may just want to drive over and visit him.

http://www.restoration-design.com/store ... ry/356-CHA
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Joshua Bailey
356 Fan

#3 Post by Joshua Bailey »

Thanks for the response. I have been looking on their site and others. I notice stamping differences in parts. Does anyone have any factory T5 undercarriage photos? Look at the differences between these two panels?
http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP101
https://sierramadrecollection.com/356B- ... 18331.html

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#4 Post by David Jones »

Josh, call Mike DeJonge tomorrow and he will tell you how close his part is to the original. He not only sells the parts he uses them. Not your average manufacturer and vendor. I guarantee you will be happy with his parts. I think the difference in the panels is accentuated by the photographs and the fact that the RD panel is in raw galvanized state.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

And John Wurner in Oregon had an all original metal Notch for sale a few days ago.Ad down so probably sold but he might have the pictures you want. John's contact info sent by PM. Also are you talking about the engine tin piece that hangs down between engine and muffler?
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Joshua Bailey
356 Fan

#6 Post by Joshua Bailey »

Yeah this piece: http://www.restoration-design.com/store ... Code=PP179 Is this a factory piece that was put in all 356 types, or is it a just a nice addition?
Unfortunately someone hacked out the engine bay on the car years ago to put in a corvair engine in. I am gathering all the sheet metal to put it back to stock now.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#7 Post by David Jones »

That peice should be in all 356 cars. There is another piece that fits between the heater channel ducts that is also lacking on most cars. Said piece used to be made by Ab Tiedemann who sadly passed away a little while ago and I doubt anyone has stepped up to make such a low volume part. If anyone wants it, I can post a picture of said part.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Joshua Bailey
356 Fan

#8 Post by Joshua Bailey »

Please, I would like to see a picture of this piece.

Thanks

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#9 Post by Neil Bardsley »

How bad is the rust and structure? I would be tempted to change the oil, tune and drive for bit. Looks like a nice car.

Joshua Bailey
356 Fan

#10 Post by Joshua Bailey »

The original plan from when I purchased it was to do a mechanical restoration and drive it for a bit. Engine, brakes, fuel, electrical etc. all need to be gone through. But after I received it, I thought the engine bay should be brought back to factory. Someone hacked the engine shelf out and the very back of the engine compartment. They pop riveted aluminum and used spray foam to cover the hack. They then glued and screwed house carpet padding around the whole engine compartment and spray painted it black. This was 20+ years ago, the padding was all dried out and flaking, not something you would want to suck through your carbs. The engine has sat for as long and one carb throttle shaft is seized. So out come the engine to be gone through. With the rear engine compartment hack removed it was a perfect time to fix the dents in the rear clip correctly before the compartment gets fixed. You know the snowball effect and "when do you stop" thing that every car restorer goes through.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#11 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

David Jones wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:53 pm That peice should be in all 356 cars. There is another piece that fits between the heater channel ducts that is also lacking on most cars. Said piece used to be made by Ab Tiedemann who sadly passed away a little while ago and I doubt anyone has stepped up to make such a low volume part. If anyone wants it, I can post a picture of said part.
Actually, Stoddard has supplied this for quite a few years. Since I knew Ab and am also a friend Of Bruce S. I bought one of each for my two cars!

https://www.stoddard.com/53906526.html.html
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Joshua Bailey
356 Fan

#12 Post by Joshua Bailey »

I see, the "X" plate. Very similar to the "X" plate used on '51 and earlier 25hp VWs. Fits on the ends of the heater boxes and helps deflect the heat from the exhaust to the case and oil pump.

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#13 Post by Mike Smith »

I see, the "X" plate. Very similar to the "X" plate used on '51 and earlier 25hp VWs. Fits on the ends of the heater boxes and helps deflect the heat from the exhaust to the case and oil pump.

WE also manufacture a lot of this low volume stuff of where we feel that we can improve the quality

www.prs356.com
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Joshua Bailey
356 Fan

#14 Post by Joshua Bailey »

I am looking at stock T5 steering wheels to purchase for restoration. Is there a steering wheel restorer that can reproduce the proper finish on the B and C steering wheel spokes?

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#15 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Hard not to loose a little detail on the spokes. I would try Koch's
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.